Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Motor sounds and tail boom questions from a noob

First off, thank you all for this forum. You are saving me money every second I read more stuff here

I have a 500 (started as HK style but as replacing parts been going full Align - should have learned that lesson first eh?) I have setup the head, pitch and curves per finless. I did go back and slow down my head speed via the curve though, the finless suggestion was just too much for me so far.

The motor has recently started making noise at low RPM spooling down and up. It used to be smooth sounding but now as you can see in the video below, there is a ryhtmatic sound that is not what I am used to while it spins down. The motor is a FMT101 (1750kv) and sounded fine and smooth for maybe the first 30 flights. Then I did have a hard landing and not sure if what the same time the sound started, but anyhow - looking for advice. And if the motor is on its way out - whats a good budget motor to look into, I read so many different things here. I am at least a full season away from attempting 3D so just a solid and reliable and preferably economical motor. Running a FMT 70A ESC and I use 3000 mah 6S1P packs. Here is the sound, you will here it when it spools down. Its a 13T pinion if that matters.

Trex 500 hover practice 2 (0 min 35 sec)

Secondly, I have read alot about keeping the tail boom from rotating. Granted, mine only rotates when I land hard and the tail fin takes the brunt, but using the suggestions I have read about I would have to tear it down again. While not a problem, I was wondering if there is any other options I can do externally. The booms are Align now but I still have the HK block. Was wondering if a small thin bead of epoxy around it right where it goes in the block would work? The next frame tear down would be a new boom and block anyway. Thoughts on this? Thanks again guys (and gals) - you have made it so another newbie can stay in the hobby rather than just tossing the arms up and running......
jst1970 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

While I have the experts reading this, in the following video I got way to close to the ground, scared myself and over throttled out of it. Is that spin always going to happen when going up or is that something I can pull out with the gyro? I have a Futaba 401 and set about 30% I think. (i set 30% as a starting point just from not wanting wag, if it was 80% would that have happened?)

Trex 500 hover practice 3 (0 min 45 sec)

Here are a couple pics also. The place I was wondering about epoxy in the question above and a pic of the motor. thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epoxy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	253021   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	253022  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like the tail drive gears are getting noisy, also was the one way locked at the end of that flight?
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

will check both those. (once i learn how, lol) The tail drive gear meaning the belt drive gear in the front or the cog in the back? The one way locked, not sure, I can spin the main gear from the 'driver side' towards the back of the heli. The other direction it wont when blades are held.....
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You were totally right. Missing a tooth on the tail drive gear. Replaced it (and main gear while doing it) - Also grabbed a new boom holder and unlike the crap HK piece I had the align unit I put in is keyed and the boom issue is fixed also. Here is a pretty HQ iPhone video of the test flight after putting it all back together. (not too exciting as I am still a 'tail in' noob) Thank you again.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25qDx-pUUw[/ame]
Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My HK boom blocks were keyed..But mine was a belt version??...in fact, I flew that block until I bought my i2 boom block. Crashed it three times and it never cracked. You don't need to disassemble the tail to pin it.. which you should still do on a TT tail. But I see you say its a belt? Then pinning isn't necessary.
Your tail blowing out on hard collective.. I thought HH gyro mode was above 50%? Anything below is Rate mode?
Mike

Good flying.. are you using any Expo or D/R?
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am belt drive - my boom issue was the boom would rotate whenever the tail fin was hit. On the HK piece you can see where the mold originally had the copy of the trex key, but it doesnt come up even .5mm from the surface. Dont know if this one is a fluke, but when I got the real align unit in my hand the key notch is super thick. Once put together there is no way I could rotate the boom anymore.

My radio is Futaba and when setting gyro I have 0-100 in both directions. Currently at 18% into HH and its ok.

I have not setup any expo or D/R yet - i watched Bob's video on the subject but never played with either setting yet. Do you suggest it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boomholder.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	254166  
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi..
Yeah, my HK tail block worked great until I replaced it with the i2 block.. glad yours is fixed.
Expo.. I use it.. I started with about 30% on Aileron and Elevator, none on rudder.
Since then.. I have been experimenting with D/R.
Both work well to calm things down. As you get more used to flying.. you will usually decrease the amounts.. Alot of people continue to fly with one or both...
Expo "softens" up the response of the stick in the center area.. so the heli doesnt respond so quickly when you make small adjustments or corrections.. it moves alittle slower or "softer".. at the center stick.. but will increase response as the stick moves away from center, but still gives you full throw of the servos.
D/R actually shortens up the amount of throw you have available with the servo.. so the servo is moving a shorter amount in the full stick movement, meaning.. it will feel like the response of the stick is alot slower. If you watched Bobs videos.. then you should know how this works...its really just the amount of travel over the full stick motion is less so it takes the servo longer to travel its throws...confused?? ( did I get that right?? My head hurts again..)
I used to fly with strickly expo.. about 30% to start...too much expo and you'll be chasing the heli as it moves because your response has been slowed alittle. I now am experimenting with D/R ( about 30% ), and just alittle expo, ( about 10% ) on one of my 500's.. it help to calm it down some...which helps calm me down some.
Try some expo....start with like 25%. See if this helps.. it wont make you crash.. 25% is just enough to feel a difference, but not enough to let the heli get away from you...
If you like it. try alittle more...until it gets alittle too soft.
Just remember.. with expo.. if you panic.. and slam the stick.. the servo will react very fast, like no expo..because as you slam the stick. the servo rockets out of the slower center to full throw if you have full cyclic applied. So.. expo will calm it down for hovering, slow FF moving around...but wont make any difference if your in a panic situation and start slamming the sticks. I like either or both for FF... it has help3ed me alot keeping my banked turns smooth, not over shooting my banking...and calming down my foward flight.
Mike

Oh.. by the way.. your HK block must be a GT block. Mine was a CMT block. ( noticed the plastic hexagon bolts..) That may be why my block key was more then yours?? I dont know for sure...
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it - yeah def. not using any expo or dual rate. I have finally gotten used to the responses as it is, but then again, trying nose in maybe it would be better. Not sure.

Working on side hover currently, not an issue if the heli is pointing to my right, but if pointing to my left my brain gets retarded or something - any tips?

Not ready for nose in at all, was thinking of getting a little indoor collective chopper to practice on first. I can do it ok on the sim, but real life not confident enough to point my bird at me yet. thanks again for all the info
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

An indoor bird like the MCPx or something would help...you can crash it, and cost you alot less until you get used to nose in.
I started with side in hovers.. then taking them more then side in.. before I knew it. was turning them nose in.. for a short period then turning back to tail in...until I got used to how my heli would react. I also was doing slow 360° piro's before going to a nose in hover too...got used to controlling it in a rotation. Then one day...I just stopped it in the middle of a slow piro at nose in.. corrected a bit here and there.. then spun it back to tail in.. caught my breath, let my heart start beating again.. and did it again..taking turns doing clockwise and counter clockwise. I honestly think nose in hover is harder then nose in flight. For some reason, as long as its moving forward, coming at me.. I am alot more confident then when its hovering nose in. But thats just me.
Oh and the expo...dont be affraid to try it. You'll be suprised how nice it is to hgave a much more calm reacting heli when your starting out. Its very easy to set some or take it back out. Same for D/R. I recommend setting some D/R or expo and see how you like it. For a new flyer.. it was something I appreciated very much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in