Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default *UPADTE AT END* Any update on the level accelerometers issue?

I’ve noticed several people having the same issue as me while trying to re-level the accelerometers. You go through the process; click the button to initiate the leveling, the dialog box goes away, then nothing.

I emailed Skookum over the weekend, haven’t heard anything back. I was really hoping there would be a fix this week so I can get the bird back in the air this weekend.

Does anyone know anything?

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX

Last edited by bstanley72; 06-10-2012 at 09:37 AM..
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

=] I did a recal successfully using a lower rev when this feature was first released, so I can't speak for 3.11 or 3.12.

something you may need to do? or it could be totally irrelevant here! is to be (which I was) in the level sensor view =

maybe? just a wild thought....

EDIT

scrub that, it makes no difference using my 3.11 rev.

Last edited by georgi UK; 06-07-2012 at 08:52 AM..
georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Weird timing on this! I completely tore down one of my more complex helis just yesterday and did the same thing using a digital level. With these same results. Basically ate up my entire day for nothing. I just pmd Georgi about this earlier today.

This would be a great problem to address Skookum if you guys are watching. I love my 720, but man I hate the bugs in the ointment as they say.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

=] what changed?? the 540?? it has no recal and shares the same software??

Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK, I received a response from Skookum.

Here is what I said:

Do you have a fix for the units that aren't able to re-level the accelerometers? I need to level mine as it has developed a drift, but can't. I have used the 3.12 software, the dialog box just disappears when I click the button to level and nothing happens.

Here is what they said:

The beta 3.12 we've sent out (and that has been passed on...) doesn't give a message, but it should work. Does the ball center in bubble-level mode? It may actually be that the gyros are drifting with temperature, and need re-calibrating here.

I've checked my unit with the bubble level feature and it looks really close. The inner circle is slightly closer to the bottom of the outer circle than the top. I don't know what it looked like before the re-level, I didn't know about the bubble level feature.

Do you think it would be ok to install and fly?

Screen shot:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	322670  

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I say fly it.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed, should be good to go.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If i set the 720 at an angle, so the bubble is offset from the center of the circle, and do the re-level nothing happens.

I have emailed support again (email number 15) about this but I'm loosing the will to bother anymore
mikeharris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting! So Skookum's response is that the new software doesn't give a confirmation?

Well, I am about to go check and see if my new setup flies then.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I got the bird back together and did a test hover in the backyard. Everything was good, vibes around 2 or so. I take it this morning to my flying spot, about 30 seconds into the first flight (hovering at about 10 feet) the heli goes crazy, hard roll to the right, starts getting out of control. I'm able to fight it back to almost level, and hit throttle hold right before it goes in. The landing skids got ripped off (I zip tie them on) and so far that is the only damage I see, blades etc are perfect.

Of course I had the logging set to vibration , so I don't know for sure what happened. I had moved the unit from the RX tray to the bottom plate so I could use zeal tape as the base. On the RX tray I had to put the velcro strap very far forward on the unit in order to clear the boom block. I felt as though the off center strap was pulling the unit down in the front, and possibly contributing to the drift.

I don't know what caused this, if it was the re-leveling or not. I had about 50 good, problem free flights on the bird before I re-leveled and switched mounting positions, I just wanted to cure the drift.

I'll be sending the unit to Skookum (third time that I will have sent a unit back to them) as I don't trust it now and want them to give it a clean bill of health. I just hope it doesn't take weeks as it has in the past.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just joining!

Nice thread, I got an SK720 about a month ago entirely for the self-level, and it worked for a week or two, but eventually picked up a backward drift Tried re-leveling acc and found it odd there was no confirmation. Now I realize, the re-level aint working I even tried re-leveling with the bubble level display while holding the heli and unit about 45 degrees to the right, but it kept the old center point
It flies ok without SL, but i tried flicking it on a couple times today, and the heli got real squirrely, but I managed to turn SL off and go back to normal and still fly it fine. I'm using my SK720 in a rex 600 for AP, and am not feeling real comfortable with the unit's bad behavior. Hopefully theres a re-level fix soon, and a GPS
Foamboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamboy View Post
Nice thread, I got an SK720 about a month ago entirely for the self-level, and it worked for a week or two, but eventually picked up a backward drift Tried re-leveling acc and found it odd there was no confirmation. Now I realize, the re-level aint working I even tried re-leveling with the bubble level display while holding the heli and unit about 45 degrees to the right, but it kept the old center point
It flies ok without SL, but i tried flicking it on a couple times today, and the heli got real squirrely, but I managed to turn SL off and go back to normal and still fly it fine. I'm using my SK720 in a rex 600 for AP, and am not feeling real comfortable with the unit's bad behavior. Hopefully theres a re-level fix soon, and a GPS
=] hi, a unit this young will not need a recal. there is something more here. a 600 in SL mode is in a league of it's own, without question.

what changed?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] what changed?
In my case; the setup software and the firmware...

Why is Art ignoring my problems with this 720?

Last edited by mikeharris; 06-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: removed dumb comment
mikeharris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] hi, a unit this young will not need a recal. there is something more here. a 600 in SL mode is in a league of it's own, without question.

what changed?
Decided I should put the power bus on, and had to remount the unit. I'm thinking I maybe mounted it a little bit off, so will maybe remount. And I got the unit used, so its got some time!

And the Self level is just for a bailout!
Foamboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in