Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy Slow upright piros with RealFlight 7

I bought the RealFlight 7 couple days ago, and have been following "ail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months". Keeping the training helicopter in the hovering circle is still an impossible task for me after 3 days. I can't keep my heli stay in the circle for more than 1s. Is it just happening me ( a slow leaner) or with other beginners ?
Rockii3n is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some people learn faster than others. It's perfectly fine that your still struggling, you'll have alot more struggles to come yet (inverted etc)

I would slow the sim speed down to atleast 50% untill your somewhat correcting in the right direction
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockii3n View Post
I bought the RealFlight 7 couple days ago, and have been following "ail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months". Keeping the training helicopter in the hovering circle is still an impossible task for me after 3 days. I can't keep my heli stay in the circle for more than 1s. Is it just happening me ( a slow leaner) or with other beginners ?
With practice it will come.

Unfortunately with RF you cannot slow the speed down in hover training.

What you can do is choose another heli (back quote (`) brings up the menu and you can use loadvehicle to load a model). You can also choose to have RF take over some controls (like collective). You can also use the large circle.

make it easy on yourself to start with, then slowly reign in the boundaries. Stretching just that little bit further each time is what makes you improve. Having a log of how you are going allows you to see how far you have come (when it feels like you are making no progress). The log also helps you realise where you can make slight adjustments (have a read of the trying From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months and you will see that people do learn at different paces, and by reviewing logs I have been able to help point out where to make improvements - and what to expect next).

Just to re-iterate, everyone learns at their own pace. RC heli is a complicated skill. Do not be concerned if you are faster of slower. It is not a race. There are no prizes, trophies or points to be gained over others.

The training I put forward in From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months is a good step by step process. (I was 45, so no teenage reflexes, but experience in how to learn complex skills and how to teach). You may not do it in 6 months, but with consistent focused small steps, you will get there.

Just keep at it (and ignore the doubters). You have only just started.

The harder it is to attain something, the more it is appreciated.

Good luck.

(P.S. I am also from Melbourne )
Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome to flying helis. Don't expect 3 days to be enough time to learn. It takes alot of patience, and dealing with alot of frustration.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simulation speed is not adjustable on rf7? Wow I'm sure glad I didn't buy real flight now

Learning a new trick and being able to slow it way down so you can see the break down unfolding in front of your eyes is so beneficial to myself.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhelipilot View Post
Simulation speed is not adjustable on rf7? Wow I'm sure glad I didn't buy real flight now

Learning a new trick and being able to slow it way down so you can see the break down unfolding in front of your eyes is so beneficial to myself.
Only in the training modes (like hover training) is the sim speed not adjustable. Outside the training modes (free flight), you can reduce to 25%.

Heli-X's training modes do not have this issue (and are better than RF's (Heli-X only does helis).
Old 09-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank guys for your supports and encouragements,

Not be able to change speed in RF 7 training mode is one of the its cons.

I went back to practice with coaxial heli yesterday, and realised I have huge improvement with the stick movements - i am able to fly back/forward - side to side which i could not be able to do in the first day having the Sim.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Kev@dhw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Only in the training modes (like hover training) is the sim speed not adjustable. Outside the training modes (free flight), you can reduce to 25%.

Heli-X's training modes do not have this issue (and are better than RF's (Heli-X only does helis).
Thanks for clarifying this. Ok real flight is still on my want list then

To the op is the an indoor field in the menu? Maybe use that that's your hovering box lol, you'll get to slow down the sim and if you go out of the box (gym) you'll crash
Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One other tip.

Don't use the hover trainer. Use the orientation trainer.

It's much better to hold to a certain position, rather than keep inside a box.
Plus the constant exploding just adds frustration.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
One other tip.

Don't use the hover trainer. Use the orientation trainer.

It's much better to hold to a certain position, rather than keep inside a box.
They have separate uses.

If you are working on attaining all the orientations, "All 8's" will get you there faster (due to it's structured nature and constant deliberate slow orientation drft). To consolidate the practice or to refresh skill, orientation trainer is great (as it pushes the accuracy of the skills).

Orientation trainer's frustration is it's time limit to achieve a position. If you are struggling with orientations is general (or still learning), you will constantly fail to achieve the position in the allotted time and the heli will move on. If you struggling at side on, or just learning inverted, orientation trainer will be more frustrating than hover training. (Also at higher levels, you can cheat orientation trainer (and yourself) by waiting for easier orientations. As you can tell, I do not recommend this form of cheating as it will not help you consolidate or maintain skills).

All that said, I do recommend using the orientation trainer. Its a great practice, and a great way to measure how har you have come.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post

105% agree ..!

Btw Thanks to ArchmageAU tip, I change the training heli to different one which has slower speed. It really helps. I am able to keep the it staying inside the ring much longer..
Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's hard to learn anything when the helicopter explodes that fast. I found it horribly frustrating so I just used a grass field on the sim where I had some room to screw up and recover. After figuring it out a little then I went back to the hover trainer and actually learned something.
Jetpainter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am back.

I have been practiced with RF sim, and I have to say " Training and patience will make difference"... (Thanks to ArchmageAU and others).

I started from "zero". I was not able to keep the heli hovering more than 20s, countless number of crashing... It was so frustrated...

And guess what, after weeks of training I can keep my heli hovering for 10 min in one orientation (head points away). I know it is nothing comparing to the Heli Pro skill out there. BUT I KNOW I WILL GET THERE !

So if you are a freshman in this heli world, be easy on yourself and don't give up !

btw I am tempted to get Blade 200 SRX (my very first heli). It has 3 modes for beginner - intermediate and advance level. I know a micro, mCPX or 130x is highly recommended for learning. What do you guy think ?

P/s: ArchmageAu, are you a member of any Heli RC club in Melbourne ? I live around Dadenong city. And Do we have any RC heli exhibition in Melbourne ? It seems like we don't have many expo in our city
Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockii3n View Post
i am back.

I have been practiced with RF sim, and I have to say " Training and patience will make difference"... (Thanks to ArchmageAU and others).

I started from "zero". I was not able to keep the heli hovering more than 20s, countless number of crashing... It was so frustrated...

And guess what, after weeks of training I can keep my heli hovering for 10 min in one orientation (head points away). I know it is nothing comparing to the Heli Pro skill out there. BUT I KNOW I WILL GET THERE !

So if you are a freshman in this heli world, be easy on yourself and don't give up !

btw I am tempted to get Blade 200 SRX (my very first heli). It has 3 modes for beginner - intermediate and advance level. I know a micro, mCPX or 130x is highly recommended for learning. What do you guy think ?

P/s: ArchmageAu, are you a member of any Heli RC club in Melbourne ? I live around Dadenong city. And Do we have any RC heli exhibition in Melbourne ? It seems like we don't have many expo in our city
I am a member of GMAC. When at home I am in the Boronia area. I have visited MRCHC, Freestylers and LDMAF (all are good).

Heli expos and comps are rare, but most clubs are happy to have visitors or guest pilots. PM me and we can organise a time to fly together.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

As someone who is where you were 4 months ago, trust me when I say you're not there to 'learn' much of anything. You aren't doing hover practice to learn something, you're doing it to re-wire your brain. Every time you move a stick, and your eye sees the result of that movement, you're developing specialized movements that will become easier and easier.

Try to keep the heli still, you will fail and fail, and then one day you will be talking to your girlfriend, or day dreaming, and you'll realize that suddenly you can hold it in the circle without concious thought. It will happen because it's not something you can control and it doesn't matter how good or bad you are at things, it will just click and you will wonder how you ever found it hard. Then you will start over inverted, etc etc.

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX

Last edited by kodack10; 09-24-2014 at 01:36 PM..
kodack10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in