Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120Sr will not hover

For some reason, my heli always goes to the left.

It cannot be fixed with trim

I took apart the whole heli, and put it back and it does the same thing.

The controls and servos move correctly.

I replaced all the blades.

What next?

Can I sent the whole heli to horizon?
amydaveg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Please read this linked document. from my 120SR for newbies sticky.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...81#post3854881

There is nothing wrong with your helicopter!
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have read that, but it seems like I can't get it off the ground.

I'll try again when I get my tail blade replacement. Broke 2 today

Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fresh batteries installed. The one you are using aren't puffed up?

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The batteries look good.

I have to wait for my tail props to come in the mail, then I will try again with going right and up on take off.

When I did that today it still went to the left, but maybe I did not go fast enough with the throttle.

I ordered the CP S today. Did anyone try that? Will I have the same issues? I assume so if the same physics applies.

I could never get the MSRs going due to toilet bowl effect, but I am hoping without the flybar I should not have that problem.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is not going to sound very friendly. But the problem is likely not the helicopter but this is how you check the swash is level.

Center the transmitter cyclic trim.
Check that the swash is level via the zip tie method.
How To Level Swash With A ZipTie (4 min 31 sec)

You don't need to worry about anything on 120SR no sub trim. Adjust the push rod length.
When you have the swash level shorten the aileron push rod 1 full turn and put it back on the swash. This will get you in the ball park. Remember the black ball link will only go back on the ball one way! re full turns.

You then need to trim for hover. Trim on your transmitter so that the helicopter stops pulling left while in flight. Then adjust the aileron link 1 full turn for each 3 clicks of transmitter trim. Center trim on transmitter.

The problem is simply that you don't yet know how to fly the helicopter.

Your TBE problem with MSR is caused buy the pilot chasing the helicopter with the
cyclic stick not a problem created buy the helicopter fly bar!

I know this stuff because I spent 2 hours a night for 6 months practicing picture perfect takeoffs with MSR and 120SR. Learning how to take off hover and fly around my living room.

Then I took 120SR outside and spent 6 mouths learning how to do bank turns, Stall turns, High speed flight quick stop and Approach patterns so I could fly in from any angle and automatically be tail in for landing.

I still fly both 120SR and MSR. I don't think there is anything in my house that does not have blade dings.

Then I replaced MSR and 120SR with MCPX and eventually B450 and much larger helicopters. They all take off the same! They all Bank turn the Same and they all require your undivided attention in order to get them in the air and hover.

If you want to fly helicopter

Get rid of the crappy transmitter that came with your 120SR or you will never do a decent job of flying. Minimum DX5e better yet DX6i if you want to eventually fly collective pitch. You can find all kinds of them for $100.00
or less.

If money is an issue scrounge around and find an old CX2 - LP5DSM transmitter.Set the switches as directed in my sticky.
I was lucky enough that I started with CX2 and had an LP5DSM.
Just remember it's an indoor low power transmitter only good for 80'.

Install the new tail rotor, Balance the blades. Lubricate the helicopter.
Trim as directed in my sticky. Then you will have something to work with.

Remember you must fly the helicopter from the time the blades start turning until the blades stop. You must fly the helicopter off the ground. Popping it up only puts an out of control helicopter in the danger zone.

Taking off 120SR
Set the helicopter on a slippy floor or large peace of cardboard so it slides easy.

Slowly spool up until the helicopter wants to slide left, Now hold 1/4 - 1/3 right aileron and increase the throttle until the helicopter begins lifting off the ground. If the helicopter still wants to slide left increase right aileron enough to stop it as you increase power. As you increase power you don't want the helicopter to go right, just pick the left skid off the ground and increase power.

As soon as the right skid comes off the ground center the cyclic so the helicopter climbs straight up. You must fly the helicopter off the ground, not just add power or pop it off the ground.

From this point you can trim for best hover.

I understand this is a lot to get your head around. It will not be long you will just do it and the helicopter will lift off and rise into the air with ease.
This is normal for any helicopter and it's going to take hundreds and hundreds of takeoffs to make it all come together. Experienced guys make it look so easy.

Hovering for beginners
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=495807

Hope this helps you.
Ron

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 11-17-2015 at 05:18 AM..
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As said above, you will need to add cyclic input to counter its tendency to lean on takeoff due to the tail rotor thrust.

If it is too aggressively leaning to one side that cyclic input will not help, your servo my be hurting, broken and/or in need of cleaning. Try applying light pressure to one or both servo arm as you apply different cyclic inputs with your tx. Motors unplugged is recommended. If the servo binds up in any way or slows down you may need to replace it. or one of the small gears on the bottom that drives it. Or clean the contacts.

Here is a video I took years ago on the first day I got it. Should take off nice and smooth like this once you get the hang of it.
Eflite Blade 120 SR first flight (3 min 53 sec)
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydaveg View Post
The batteries look good.

I have to wait for my tail props to come in the mail, then I will try again with going right and up on take off.

When I did that today it still went to the left, but maybe I did not go fast enough with the throttle.

I ordered the CP S today. Did anyone try that? Will I have the same issues? I assume so if the same physics applies.

I could never get the MSRs going due to toilet bowl effect, but I am hoping without the flybar I should not have that problem.
Just because they LOOK good doesn't mean they are. Do you have the props installed correctly? Can you send some pics of it?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydaveg View Post
For some reason, my heli always goes to the left.

It cannot be fixed with trim

I took apart the whole heli, and put it back and it does the same thing.

The controls and servos move correctly.

I replaced all the blades.

What next?

Can I sent the whole heli to horizon?
Looking at the heli from the back, we will be working in the right servo rod. Carefully (and I mean carefully) pop the rod off, Hold the rod with some needle nose pliers, Turn the black thing Clockwise (down) about 2 full turns. 2 FULL TURNS, the rods only go back on the swashplate one way. Pop the rod back onto the swash and give it a go. See what is does and get back to us.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

All IMO. All non coaxial s are effected by "ground effect". Try to get the heli in the air quickly a couple feet off the ground and away from objects. Don
dontrinko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in