Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help with Transition to Collective Heli

I've been on a 120SR for a while and fly that thing with full confidence. Good control and I am comfortable with orientation.

I am trying to move on to collective birds and flew a TRex 450 for a while. But now I bought a 130X because I don't have the time to fix a big bird (kids). What I experience while flying is what I would consider barely keeping it in control. The heli seems to "slide" all over the place, mainly aileron, perhaps because I'm fearful of over correcting and putting it in the dirt. But again, it's barely in control and rarely makes it to the ground by landing.

What exercises can I do to improve this? I really want to fly collective as I am bored with the 120SR (fixed pitch). At this point, I really feel like I would be happy with just sport flying. That's what I really want to do.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

edit: I did experience the same thing while flying the 450 as well.
Spektrum DX6i
Chieftan69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sounds like you need to reduce the cyclic rates and maybe increase Expo. This will make it less responsive, but you will still have to "fly" it.

Sent via phone
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also you might want to consider doing some of your training on a simulator. It's much slower training with a CP heli than a Sim. Check the "From tail in....." sticky for a great simulator based training approach for CP.

George - Taranis, 450x, 130x, mcpx-bl
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Do NOT fly your 450 until you can safely handle the 130 100% of the time in all conditions. The 450 can kill you, a neighbor, or destroy property. It is not a toy and should not be used un-supervised by a novice. Only under the instruction of an instructor who has set the heli up to be docile.

2. Set the 130x lo rates to 80%, and 25% Expo. If you still find it too sensitive, reduce your travel points to 80%. Note that travel is for each direction. IE ELEV 80% might just be left, if you hit right ELEV might jump back to 100%, you must set it to 80% for both directions for all controls, pitch,rudder, aeil, elev, etc.

The 130x is going to be a handful because everything it does, it's going to do fast. You will make better progress doing a mixture of simulator and real heli. The 130 is fairly robust but it requires a lot of maintenance and tuning skills to keep it flying well. You might consider the NanoCPX if you want a truly bomb proof, safe, indoor/outdoor, new flyer heli. IT can teach you everything up to 3d including inverted hovering, funnels, etc.

Align Trex 250 DFC, Align Trex 150 DFC, Blade 450x, 180 CFX, BSR, 130x with 150x Lynx stretch and CNC upgrades, 130x bone stock, MCPX BL, Nano CPX
kodack10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

120SR to 130x is a big jump. 130x to 450 is a smaller one. In my opinion, you have been sensible to go 120SR to a collective micro instead of the 450 (cheaper/less dangerous).

Have a look at From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months , it will help is getting control (by using sim to practice).

I went micro FP (like the 120SR) to nano to 130x to 550 (Gaui X5). Could fly the 130x all day without crashing (both upright and inverted) before going X5. In over 100 X5 flights only time the blades have touched other than air is an autorotation tipover (total damage $5). "From tail-in ..." is how I did it (step by step).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in