Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #61 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Simulator Setup

Posted a simulator setup primer in the "Other R/C Flight Simulators" (https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69) forum.

Simulator Setup - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755

Hopefully it's up to the quality you as HF'ers have come to expect from me

Extracts from post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
I have seen many questions on how to set up a simulator. Phoenix, RealFlight, Heli-X, ClearView, etc. Each simulator is relatively easy to set up once you understand the basic principles. This is what I will explain. I have also provided details my Heli-X setup with a DX8.

I will try put up more examples in the next few of days (if requested). Possible examples can be Phoenix, ClearView and/or FMS (may also look at neXt).

The Basics:

How a simulator works.

A simulator takes control inputs and manipulates a model on a screen based on those inputs. This much is not hard to understand. The part that confuses people is how does the computer determine what to do with the model based on the control inputs.

Summary:

• Understand how a sim works.
  • Calibrate your controller.
  • Setup your controller and heli parameters.
  • By preference use appropriate bigger helis.

Example setup 1:

This is taken from my actual setup.

Assumptions:

• DX8
  • USB interface
  • Heli-X

I edited the start position of the Airport Dietersdorf to -8.2,5,-2.6 (from -5,5,0). This places the heli on the dot in the middle of the road for launch. This was done through the edit button in the Airport Selection menu (edit the selection, press return, then press save button, close edit window, select another airport, then go back to airport selection and select the one you edited). You may want to move the heli launch position further away again so you are not standing inside the hover training circles (-8.2,5,-7.6).

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months

Quote:
TRex 700e

DR 100. Expo to taste. TA 100. Pitch curve 0,25,50,75,100. Throttle curve 75,75,75,75,75. Gyro to taste (> 50 to ensure HH mode).

Learn to use TH switch to cut motor.

Currently working on a sim set up primer.
No need to adjust tail gain, phoenix will manage the tail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just started the training.
Such a good way by using the constant rotation.
Andrew u.k. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months

I tried to use helix but the way the helis reacts when you have it control the pitch is so unnatural it makes me WAY worse. It doesn't manage pitch it just keeps it at one level which is really screwy. I had 20 something crashes doing that. Turned it off and had 9.

Sent from my mobile with Tapatalk.
Sqwrly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #65 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoValidTitle View Post
I tried to use helix but the way the helis reacts when you have it control the pitch is so unnatural it makes me WAY worse. It doesn't manage pitch it just keeps it at one level which is really screwy. I had 20 something crashes doing that. Turned it off and had 9.
When I started invert, I needed pitch control, as I would go too high and lose the ground circle.

Pitch control is a bit unnatural in how it locks to a height (perfect control), but I would imagine most beginners would find this more help than harm. Most, but not all.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Started this a few days ago. I had a really crappy weekend flying - just couldn't get it together, so decided to go back to the basics and really nail the orientations and slow piros before anything else. It's hard!

Nice write up as well.

Cheers - AC
OMPHobby M2 V2
AlphaCharlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm truly amazed at my progress with this method. With 7x 20 min sessions over 4 days I've really noticed the difference. Each time I start a session I seem to be so much smoother than when I finished the previous session, the12 hrs while at work between each exercise seems to help my little brain soak it all up.
It's windy for the next few days here in the UK, so I'm going to keep doing the 2 sessions a day, but I'm looking forward to taking my 450 to the field next week.
Cheers
Andrew
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am thinking about posting a video of where I am right now (almost baseline, as I have only done a few sessions), and then a again in a month to see improvements.
OMPHobby M2 V2
Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #69 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCharlie View Post
I am thinking about posting a video of where I am right now (almost baseline, as I have only done a few sessions), and then a again in a month to see improvements.
This is a great idea. I just used a log to help me, but video will show improvements much better. If you do this, it's your choice at to whether to share these or not. (I personally love to see people's progress).

Unlike a regular web page, this forum can be used to track progress as well as feedback.

I found, as I progressed, I forgot how far I had come. Each days progress seemed incrementally smaller. Felt like I was stagnating. Only by comparison with the far past was progress evident.

Learning flying is a personal journey. Public acknowledgement helps some. Just be aware that since we all progress at different rates, by releasing video, you may open yourself to criticism by less supportive members. However, in my experience, any video I have released has recieved nothing but support.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is a great idea. I just used a log to help me, but video will show improvements much better. If you do this, it's your choice at to whether to share these or not. (I personally love to see people's progress).

Unlike a regular web page, this forum can be used to track progress as well as feedback.

I found, as I progressed, I forgot how far I had come. Each days progress seemed incrementally smaller. Felt like I was stagnating. Only by comparison with the far past was progress evident.

Learning flying is a personal journey. Public acknowledgement helps some. Just be aware that since we all progress at different rates, by releasing video, you may open yourself to criticism by less supportive members. However, in my experience, any video I have released has recieved nothing but support.
Cheers.

PS - 'bout time we saw another heli in your sig
OMPHobby M2 V2
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #71 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCharlie View Post
Cheers.

PS - 'bout time we saw another heli in your sig
Any better?

Still awaiting delivery of the BD3SX (received shipping notice). Expect to have the X5 in the air by late this month or early next month (work travel and weather may delay things).

Was intending to add the X5 once I had flown it. (Big jump from 130 size to 550 size).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

GX5 - cool !

Have fun with it.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good choice. It's in my "dream fleet,"-which I include one of each size class, and different power plants for 600 and 700.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you but... Where are the lessons and videos?
dreamerguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I meant, do you mean to go to http://www.chadrg.com/flightschool/ for your lessons 1 to 12 that you propose/tell about?

Thanks.
dreamerguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #76 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerguy View Post
Thank you but... Where are the lessons and videos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerguy View Post
I meant, do you mean to go to http://www.chadrg.com/flightschool/ for your lessons 1 to 12 that you propose/tell about?
Chadrg has the video stream of the progression I followed. Big change between what I detailed and chadrg is that I emphasize slow piros and recording of progress.

The lessons are in the first post of this thread (https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...70&postcount=1). 1 is Slow upright piros. to 12 Funnel 8s.

Hope this clarifies things.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goal #1 accomplished!

I set a goal for myself, once I could do the 0 crashes both directions in lesson 1 plus hold an inverted hover for 30 seconds (getting into the hover is another story, perhaps I should look harder at lesson 3) I would be able to spend a gift certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket mCPx BL will be picked up tomorrow

14 sessions to get here, plus tons of time flying outside too.. These lessons along with the recording of progress gives so much confidence / takes away so much fear. Before this I knew I could hover nose in, but would I do it on my 450? no. Now? heck yeah I'll hover nose in for a whole pack! or.. till I get bored with it and fly off
ryane67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #78 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane67 View Post

I set a goal for myself, once I could do the 0 crashes both directions in lesson 1 plus hold an inverted hover for 30 seconds (getting into the hover is another story, perhaps I should look harder at lesson 3) I would be able to spend a gift certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket mCPx BL will be picked up tomorrow

14 sessions to get here, plus tons of time flying outside too.. These lessons along with the recording of progress gives so much confidence / takes away so much fear. Before this I knew I could hover nose in, but would I do it on my 450? no. Now? heck yeah I'll hover nose in for a whole pack! or.. till I get bored with it and fly off

This is the stuff I love to see. Congratulations.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also thanks for the tip of using the bigger heli. I was using a 500 which was fine, it was a bit faster to respond, but in the f3c box for this training a 700 is much more difficult, more inertia once it gets moving and less space to stop it in. I switched to a 700 about halfway through and it felt like I had started over.

If anyone is reading this thinking "well I fly a 450, or a 130, or a ultra micro for real, why shouldn't I fly it in the sim?" well you should, but not exclusively. Try out something bigger for this training, your perseverance will be rewarded.
ryane67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd just like to say again how well this is working for me.

14 sessions in and I can now Fly my Nano in the back room 5mx5m in controlled slow squares. Nose in hover is a breeze.

I'm also going back through my old music collection and finally putting them all on the pc, 1 album ripped and almost listened to per session. Two jobs at once.

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in