Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ikon V2 setup issues with ESC? motor getting HOT

Hi,

I'm Looking for some advice. I just put an ikon v2 on a trex 500 that I did not fly for a while. It had a 7200bx for a while and was removed (so I knew it flew fine on the beastx). I put the ikon on and went to test. The motor would only sputter a few times and shut off like the timing was bad or something. I tried a couple time and then the magic smoke came out of the esc. It was an align bl70 amp esc. Not set to gov mode.

The next day , I tossed on a cc talon 90. It immediately spooled up in normal mode and idle up and seemed to be working ok. I do not have the gov mode checked on any of my control modes. I noticed after 30 seconds of running at 60% throttle, my motor, 500mx, is extremely hot and the motor wires coming from esc are also really hot. What could be causing this?
Arik434 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First thing I'd be checking for is cold or loose solder joints.
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

There are really no joint to check. I am using a CC Talon 90, so the 3 motor wires plug right into the ESC. Those connections are good.

I guess I should add that I setup my dx9 with a basic Normal mode curve that starts at 0 and flattens out around 70. I was planning to set up this curve similar to my beastx and then just idle up mode at a flat speed. I also unchecked the 'use gov' for each mode. Am I just missing something?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Motor getting hot. check pinion mesh should be able to run a piece of paper through the main and pinion.Make sure you have a smooth and drag free transmission one bad bearing will add drag will will overheat a motor.If that is good double check gearing that your trying to run ... 70percent may be bogging motor at that gear ratio.If that is a dfc and stock gearing could be your issue.If gear ratio and head speed are okey look at esc settings castle recommends out runner mode and the higher timing will make a hot motor.re check all settings
Al check all solder joints including battery and esc to battery joints.

Sounds to me like you runing the motor too slow .. but double check every thing
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks....I am definitely running the motor slow just to check things out, as I have not flown it yet. The gear mesh is good. Maybe it is the Castle ESC settings then. I have it set on the 'simple gov' mode. Would that be a bad thing? I'll have to check into the 'outrunner' setting, and I guess I could try and lower the timing as well.

It just seemed odd because these motors are supposed to be bulletproof and not get warm.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Increase head speed and I bet it goes away ... get that motor spinning where it needs to be .. make ur curve 70at mid stick and mid 80s see if its cooler I bet it will be .. Ikon has nuthing to do with the issue ...
Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakboy69 View Post
Increase head speed and I bet it goes away ... get that motor spinning where it needs to be .. make ur curve 70at mid stick and mid 80s see if its cooler I bet it will be .. Ikon has nuthing to do with the issue ...
Ok, I will try that tonight. It just seemed odd that things seemed fine with the beastx...thats why I figured I am having a bad interaction with the ikon/Talon 90.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

What head speed on beast X were u running ?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What head speed on beast X were u running ?
I honestly dont know. I just had a flat motor curve at around 80%.

The beastx works great on my 550's, but it doesnt seem to like my 500 as well...which is why I wanted to try the ikon. Its a belt driven tail and seems to have some vibes at the real high head speeds--no matter how much I try and balance/replace everything. I've heard that the ikon can resist vibrations better, so that is the real reason for me trying this one out.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go back to that issues will go away I know your unsure of the Ikon settings but it needs to be in a solid flying condition.
Double check tail gyro is corect direction and that the swash compet
Old 05-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Compensate is correctly set to beginner mode and DO NOT USE self level make sure everything is good .. then start tuning for your style sport or 3d after that then work a sl bank if you want one ...
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Compensate is correctly set to beginner mode and DO NOT USE self level make sure everything is good .. then start tuning for your style sport or 3d after that then work a sl bank if you want one ...
Thanks for the tips. I will try more tonight. I figured that I could always bypass the ikon and plug the ESC directly into a separate rx to test. I guess I still have no clue why the original ESC smoked and if that could have done any damage to my motor.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying low head speed is hard on motor and esc

The motor end is hot because its running on less voltage than it likes that is wht gearing is important

Esc end gets hot because it takes in put power (BATTERY) and spits out lower voltage to the motor.The esc reducing the voltage to slow the motor down creates heat as a by product .
That is why In gov mode it tells you if your head speed is too fast or slow ... you want to be in the sweet spot 80-90 percent of total power of esc and motor that is the most efficient and less stressful on motor and esc ... hope that helps
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Flying low head speed is hard on motor and esc

The motor end is hot because its running on less voltage than it likes that is wht gearing is important

Esc end gets hot because it takes in put power (BATTERY) and spits out lower voltage to the motor.The esc reducing the voltage to slow the motor down creates heat as a by product .
That is why In gov mode it tells you if your head speed is too fast or slow ... you want to be in the sweet spot 80-90 percent of total power of esc and motor that is the most efficient and less stressful on motor and esc ... hope that helps
That does make sense. Ideally, I do want to switch everything over to the goverened modes eventually, but was really waiting until I had everything sorted out mechanically and flying predictably. Maybe I should have just done it sooner. Though, I dont think the Ikon will will work in goverened mode with the Talon 90 because it does not have the extra output signal wire.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Corect. .. but talkin has a set rpm gov .. wich works by reading the load of motor it works good ..
Ikon reads stick input and predicts how much power your going to need.this type reacts faster ...

The tallon will be just fine ... note I you have never run set rpm in castle ... it will give you a value to set head speeds to ...
That throttle curve number is to select that head speed
So normal will be 0 50-50-50-50 that will be head speed one next 75-75-75-75-75 is two and so on ... if you made that 70 70 70 70 it will still give you head speed two make sence ?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You were right. I flew it easy in my backyard today at the higher head speeds and the motor was just a bit warm....seems much more normal.

I guess my next issue will be a real high speed tail wag in hover. I tried changing the gain +\~ 15% without any real change. Maybe change the ball position on tail servo next?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are u sure the tail gain is active in radio go to radio tab in ikon software and move your tail gain channel to make sure its working .. then look at actual number on software they may not match radio ... radio may say 40 but software may be 50 ... doesn't matter as long as you know the deference .....
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Are u sure the tail gain is active in radio go to radio tab in ikon software and move your tail gain channel to make sure its working .. then look at actual number on software they may not match radio ... radio may say 40 but software may be 50 ... doesn't matter as long as you know the deference .....
Yes, it is working. I set the gain in software per their defaults. I think my transmitter said 57%, while Ikon thought it was 45. I guess I'll have to get it up to my field and really fly more than really just hovering in the yard. The tail did also seem to kick about 15-20 degrees in a hard pitch pump.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pitch pump kick can be a few things

head speed to low for enough tail thrust
Sticking tail slider

Week tail servo

If all thoes are double checked the get that tail good in forward flight and reverse .... once that is good you can work out the pitch pump kinks in the advanced menue of Ikon ... with pre comp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in