Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ProModeler Servos

I recently bought three of the 215oz-in CLS for my 500 and very happy I did. The first thing I noticed before installation was how smooth the gear train was. My heli has a very locked in feeling now, will be buying more. Would add that I don't think I have ever received a package in that short of time.

A mini version would be much appreciated.

http://www.audacitymodels.com/produc...7-62201345318C
Precipitate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm loving my HV BLS set I got for the Goblin Speed. I'm fairly certain these are the nicest servos I've ever flown, and I have top shelf MKS and Torq servos on my other helis...
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
I'm loving my HV BLS set I got for the Goblin Speed. I'm fairly certain these are the nicest servos I've ever flown, and I have top shelf MKS and Torq servos on my other helis...
Coming from the RJX high torque high speed minis on my G500, these feel every bit as good at half the price.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's not only performance and price. The PM servos are shiny
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shiny, indeed . . . you guys kill me sometimes

Speaking of 500-class mini-servos, we made a prototype and it works as expected. I made it the exact same dimension as others, e.g. with the slot so we can fit the more powerful motor. The thing is, I don't like the slot. And if I made them a little bit wider (to eliminate the slot) I don't know if they'll sell. In short, how important is the width-compatibility of 15mm?

For example, in some models like a Protos 500 the elevator servo has plenty of room to fit a wider servo. But the other two servos going to the swashplate would require some fiddling with the mounting area to fit a wider servo. Simply put, if I maintain the 15mm thickness as used by others, I have to either use a smaller motor (weaker), or do what they did, slot the case to fit the motor . . . and I don't like either choice.

Why don't I like the slot? It's because of the potential for problems due to the open environment, e.g. moisture can easily get in. Or in the case of some of the tiny nitro helicopters, exhaust oil can wreck havoc with the electronics. And it's not like these servos are only used in electric helicopters because they're easily powerful enough to use in 40-class model airplanes. Add to it, the servo's motor actually operates cooler without a slot (seems counter intuitive, but it's true) because the case working as a heat sink (the real purpose of aluminum in the center section) does so more efficiently when the transfer tape makes full contact. Meanwhile, my thinking is, to heck with being the exact same as everybody else. We'll just go our own way and make ProModeler mini-servo cases a tiny bit wider (on the order of 16.2mm vs. 15mm). This lets us eliminate the slot and thus, both ensure better cooling and provide environmental integrity. Anyway, I'm open to thoughts about it. Do me a favor and check your 500-class models and share with me what you learn about the prospects of fitting slightly wider mini-servos

Last thing since you like our servos, do us another favor . . . tell the world. But please don't do it just here in our Audacity-forum but in the forums of the other models you fly, e.g. a Goblin, or whatever. And especially do it in the main forum because then even more folks will be learn about your experience (and good opinion).

Finally, my thanks to you for your good opinion about our product. It's great to learn you're pleased with what we're doing. Especially because it validates the risk we took in deciding to bring them to market in the first place. Many, many thanks for your kindness.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The spare Fusuno Trex 500 frame set I have laying around has servo holes that are somewhere between 16.6mm and 16.8mm wide as measured with digital calipers.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The spare Fusuno Trex 500 frame set I have laying around has servo holes that are approximatly 16.7mm wide give or take .05mm.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

A picture of the G500 mini servo mounting. Zoom shows it well.

The canopy on the G500 is tight on minis. They do make a full size mount and canopy but it is not standard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G500MiniMount.jpg
Views:	1565
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	484010  
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mini servos for the Protos 500

Hello John,

Any update on the mini servos? I'll make them fit my Protos!

Love the Audacity website. Nicely done with great info / life experience. Wish I would have discovered it sooner.

Looking forward to mini servos soon!

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

im using the economy pro modeler servos in both my P6's (4blade and rnfbl) and loving em more every flight. the flying season barely started and im done with my first case of nitro.
Skookum support pilot
geomecc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

A guy over on RCG is using the economy ones in his RJX X600EP build.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159180
Old 05-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the silence fellows but I've had a lot of supply chain issues on my plate and I've been busy working through them and about have them sorted out so I can come up for air once again. Remember, the servo business is still kinda of new for us so teething pains are not exactly unexpected. However, at some point I will get everything running smoothly. Meanwhile, I continue to field questions regarding a mini-size servo.

Here's the thing. What everybody is else is doing is shoving in a bigger motor than the case can normally accept (in order to get acceptable power). How? Simply put, they mill away however much space is required, which leaves the motor case exposed (the case ends up with a slot through which you can see part of the motor). What's wrong with this? Nothing, except it compromises the integrity of the environment, e.g. the electronics can get wet (and exhaust goop can penetrate as well). Me? I don't find this acceptable but modelers seem to accept it so it seems there's no other choice to achieve a certain amount of power. Or is there?

Here's my take. It's my opinion, servo dimensions aren't set in stone. After all, whoever first decided on the dimension of a mini 20 years ago (Futaba most likely) never envisioned 500-class helis and he power we would want from this class of servo. Anyway, if there's anything you guys know about me it's this; like most of you, I'm neither hidebound nor governed by the thoughts and actions of others. So here's what I'm thinking.

If I make the servo case 1.8mm wider (a dime is about 2mm thick, to give you context), I can completely enclose the brushless motor and do away with the slot. Benefits of doing this extend beyond protecting the electronics. Chief amongst them is better cooling (I know it seems counter intuitive but full contact of the motor can with the aluminum of the middle case is how it really cools best).

The question is this . . . would you still be interested in a mini if I made it a tad wider, or is this a deal breaker?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

500 class helicopters should really be using standard sized servos, there's a reason the standard sized servo mounts are so popular on the Goblin 500.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That kind of mirrors my thoughts, which begs the question, what are people using these minis for?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There's many 500s out there that simply cannot fit standard servos. And the goblin 500 is really more of a small 550, or large/heavy 500, than a typical 425mm blade heli.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 05-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

None of this answers my basic question about width.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know of other 500s, but the Protos carbon frame looks like it does have enough space to accommodate the extra 2mm in width. The L and R servos mount upright and side by side right behind the swashplate and have a 4.5mm gap in between.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe the Trex 500 ESP servo holes are 17mm but I don't have access to a set of Align frames just the Fusuno G10 ones and I think the paint they use on them takes away a few tenths of a mm (the holes are about 16.7-16.8mm)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll check my Compass Atom 500 holes. This is one heli with very specific size limitations.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500 ESP

JB, my Trex 500ESP servo holes are 36.4 X 16.6mm in the stock carbon frames. Hope this helps.
tealc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in