Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba Radio with Jeti as Buddy

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has already been covered. I have a BK-14 and my son has a Futaba 10J. He is starting out and I was wondering if there is a way I can use the Jeti as Trainer with him using Futaba as his radio.

I've looked around and found couple of things, one being using the PPM out of the Jeti to a receiver bound to the Futaba. Quick question re this method, does it mean that you put the Jeti receiver in the model instead of the Futaba?

If there are any more options please advise.

Thanks
pierredelica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like you've seen my video with the Graupner. The way I see it, you have 2 options. Get a Futaba receiver with ppm out and do it like I did, or go with the newer option and get a Jeti R3SW receiver, put the firmware on it to act as a module and get/make a cable to plug it into the trainer port on the back of the Futaba.

I like the first method (obviously, I'm the guy who did it), but if the second was available when I made that video I would have just gone the R3 way. It's less invasive, and allows you to use the built in Jeti trainer programming instead of making a bunch of mixes.

Either way, you're putting a Jeti receiver in the model.

If you want the Futaba to be the master and have a Futaba RX in the model you just need a Jeti RX set to output ppm and a cable to hook it into the trainer port input on the Futaba.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been doing this with my Jeti as the master and Spektrum as the slave. I use a setup similar to using the R3 as a Tx module running of the buddybox outlet on the slave Tx. In my case I have a true Jeti Tx module in a small box with power and a buddybox lead that plugs into the Slave. Your setup would be the same but with an R3 acting as the Tx module.

This works well and although I haven't tried it with a Futaba yet I do have the adaptor and I know it will work fine.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pierre, I have a plug available for the Futaba radio, if you can convert it to act as a loom for your Jeti receiver. Otherwise, the Futaba plug is very cheap and easily available, as are servo plugs to make up the loom. Just a question of whether you have a suitable Jeti receiver?
I do have futaba receivers, but would be easier with Jeti receiver, and leave helicopter still flyable by your son with the Futaba radio.
Andy
Old 06-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pierre, this is not my strong area, but is there any way you can adapt protocols so that you can just use a wired trainer cable?
Jeti supply two different PPM-out 'simulator cables' - JMS-DC-KPPM-R, and JMS-DC-KPPM-B, sited in http://www.jetimodel.com/en/DC-16-am...ght-simulator/.
Maybe someone could comment on whether this might make things possible. I certainly have the Futaba plug ends to connect!
On further reading it appears that the Jeti TU2 module may be the way to go as an alternative to the R3 receiver, for a wireless solution.
Andy
Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hmm interesting, I've done a little research and the futaba 10j had ppm output ask the time via futaba trainer plug. Does this mean that with TU2 connected internally via ppm I will be able to buddy the futaba with the jeti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierredelica View Post
Hmm interesting, I've done a little research and the futaba 10j had ppm output ask the time via futaba trainer plug. Does this mean that with TU2 connected internally via ppm I will be able to buddy the futaba with the jeti?

ANY transmitter with PPM output can function not only as a Jeti wireless trainer, but as a stand-alone Jeti transmitter if you install a Jeti module. Be it a TU2, an R3L, a jetibox profi (non-US) or one of the no-longer-in-production plug-in modules.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Groucho, I wonder if you know please? I am sorry, I am not familiar with Jeti radios. If we were to connect a TU2 module into the PPM output inside a Futaba 10J radio (assuming one exists), and supposing we can fit the module in (by the way I don't seem to be able to find the 'box' for an external attachment if needed), is it necessary to do anything else with the antenna wire that comes with the TU2, i.e. does it just act like a receiver and antenna inside the Futaba transmitter (acting as a 'Master') to the Jeti Tx 'Slave', or does this wire need to be connected to an external aerial?
Much appreciate your insite. I do also appreciate that an R3 Rx programmed to output PPM to the Futaba, can be wired to the external socket on the back of the Futaba and used that way.
Thanks for your help and explanations.
I think I am being stupid - the lead from the TU2 screws into the existing radio antenna base? Does this not then affect normal Futaba use of the Tx? Sorry I am confused!
Andy
Old 06-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJHawes View Post
If we were to connect a TU2 module into the PPM output inside a Futaba 10J radio (assuming one exists), and supposing we can fit the module in (by the way I don't seem to be able to find the 'box' for an external attachment if needed), is it necessary to do anything else with the antenna wire that comes with the TU2, i.e. does it just act like a receiver and antenna inside the Futaba transmitter (acting as a 'Master') to the Jeti Tx 'Slave', or does this wire need to be connected to an external aerial?
The TU2 comes with a 'rubber duck' aerial. So, you'd essentially find a place on your transmitter where to place the connector that is on the end of the antenna wire you mention, and screw the aerial on.

Quote:
I do also appreciate that an R3 Rx programmed to output PPM to the Futaba, can be wired to the external socket on the back of the Futaba and used that way.
To be clear - The R3 would be programmed to RECEIVE a PPM signal from the Futaba radio. It can be connected externally, as you mention, using the trainer port, or internally, to the same points where it would have been connected at the trainer port.

Quote:
I think I am being stupid - the lead from the TU2 screws into the existing radio antenna base? Does this not then affect normal Futaba use of the Tx? Sorry I am confused!
Andy
If the lead from the TU2 fits your existing antenna, then you can use that.

Of course it will affect normal Futaba use - In fact, you should not do this unless you can remove power to the existing Futaba transmitting module, as without an aerial, it will burn out.

In any case, you can decide whether you want to be transmitting, both Futaba and Jeti signals simultaneously, or just one of the two.

When you connect anything externally (simulator cable, external TX module, etc) using the trainer port, the Futaba transmission signal is automatically turned off. You can also duplicate this when connecting internally by simulating this connection. Essentially there is a simple connection that is made between two pins. You can find which ones with a google search. (I will see if I have some info in my documents)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Andy, I'm back in Melbourne at the end of next week and can show you my setup with the external box and Jeti module then if you like.

//Dennis.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Groucho and Dennis, this is actually my friend's Jeti DS14 and his son's Futaba 10J, acting as slave and master respectively. The helicopter has Futaba receiver on board, so the Futaba will be the master in this buddy box arrangement. I have only really played with Futaba to Futaba arrangements before, and am totally unfamiliar with whatever Jeti systems exist now, but need to learn quickly!
My friend's son will want to continue with his Futaba Tx when he has gained enough confidence under the buddy system with the support of his dad and Jeti Tx.
What I assumed would happen is that the Jeti receiver / TU2 module (attached to the Futaba Tx) would receive a signal from the Jeti slave Tx, and relay (Rx/TU2 output via the external trainer socket or internal connector) PPM signal to be subsequently interpreted and transmitted by the Futaba master to the helicopter.
Andy
Old 06-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

HI Andy,

this sound great and both you and myself are learning about the Jeti possibilities. Look forward to seeing this come to fruition and get the futaba/jeti buddy system to work.

Thanks Pierre
Old 06-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba Radio with Jeti as Buddy

Quote:

What I assumed would happen is that the Jeti receiver / TU2 module (attached to the Futaba Tx) would receive a signal from the Jeti slave Tx, and relay (Rx/TU2 output via the external trainer socket or internal connector) PPM signal

With the Jeti set to master, and the Futaba to slave, wireless training is a simple setup, comprising a single menu selection on the Jeti TX.

On the other side of the coin however, although the DS-16 can be set to slave, I do not believe that wireless training can be made to work if the master is not a Jeti DS or DC transmitter.

It definitely is not possible when using a jetibox profi as a module on a Futaba TX, and as I understand it, you cannot get better than that as a module.

EDIT:

That is assuming that you are using a Jeti receiver in the model.

If you're using a Futaba RX, then you can accomplish this easily by using any Jeti receiver set to OUTPUT PPM connected to the Futaba trainer port.

You would then use the Jeti TX normally, without setting master or slave parameters.

That would be done from the Futaba side. When you flick a switch, the Futaba TX will accept the input from the trainer port.

Essentially this is a wired connection made wireless by the use of the Jeti RX.

Last edited by Groucho_; 06-27-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Andy,

I agree with Groucho, I think what they want can't really be done. If they leave the Model Rx as a Futaba the Master has to be Futaba. You can set up the Jeti as a slave as Groucho has described below but it will mean the Dad will have to use the Futaba and the son the Jeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post

If you're using a Futaba RX, then you can accomplish this easily by using any Jeti receiver set to OUTPUT PPM connected to the Futaba trainer port.

You would then use the Jeti TX normally, without setting master or slave parameters.

That would be done from the Futaba side. When you flick a switch, the Futaba TX will accept the input from the trainer port.

Essentially this is a wired connection made wireless by the use of the Jeti RX.
Thinking about there might be a very complex way to do it, but I don't know for sure if it will work. You can get the Jeti to bind to the model with a Futaba Rx by using a box like I have that takes PPM from the Jeti and then use a Futaba module to output to the model. If you then connect an R3 setup as a Tx to the Futaba and do a wireless Buddybox connection to the Jeti, it may output that on the PPM, but it may not. Probably not worth the trouble as you would need to get a Futaba module and a Jeti Rx to try it.

Probably the easiest is to put a Jeti Rx into the model, use the Jeti as Master and use a wired connection to the Jeti (adaptor is available from Jeti) or get an R3 burnt to the Tx firmware connected to the Futaba for the wireless version. Or Even simpler just have them swap transmitters.

//Dennis.

Last edited by Thunder Fighter; 06-27-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for your input both.
Yes,currently the model has a Futaba receiver in it, and ideally, the son gets used to using his own Futaba radio, but I acknowledge it would be the simplest all round if it were the other way around.
If a small compromise was made, the student would not truelly be 'aware' that the receiver in the model was a Jeti Rx, rather than a Futaba one, and if acceptable a wired connection would be easiest.
Once confident, the Rx in the model could be swapped back quite quickly for the son to continue with the Futaba set-up.
Is there such a 'trainer' wire in existence, or does it need to be made up? As I listed before, I saw both a sterio phono lead for simulators such as Phoenix, and a mono lead for other simulators. Are these the cables suggested, and which one?
The Jeti cables give phono socket (Jeti Tx), and obviously then need Futaba plug end (Futaba Tx) and appropriate lead to connect in the middle - should be easy enough to find.
Andy
Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm looking at going the other way.

I have a friend who is on Futaba and I'm on Jeti. He is s great flyer and wants to try my Helis but he is mode 1 and I'm mode 2.

So if the Jeti is the master then he could do ppm to an r3 and boom he gets to fly some different birds. If he gets crazy, boom I take over...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in