Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bugs me to hear "dont get the 3gx"

I see these gyros going as low as $50 to $90 new and want to slap one on a 250 clone. I've only used the beastx which is simple as they say vs the 3gx being complicated. In a way complicated is good because you just have to learn about the gyro. But what bugs me is when I hear or read don't use it because your heli will tip over or it will crash for no reason. I've been into rc car racing for years and it's the same story. He say she say don't use it which then turns into a trend of stay away. But obvious some on here disagree because clearly it's working.
So I'd like to hear from some 3gx owners on if it's worth gambling on or is one of those items you keep and use because it came with the helicopter? And advice is appreciated thanks
Titan2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=542553
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

And just like that my question was answered. I wanted to search but cohldnt think of right key words to input. The threads I did look at seemed to be more complaints. Wish they had a sticky on the poll of people with likes and dislikes. I'm just a novice flyer so Its best for me to stick with budget items til I get better. But thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had two 3gx's, one that came with a heli, and another one that I got for a bargain 2nd hand. I replaced one (on my trex 500) simply because I never liked how the heli felt in flight. I can't give you anything objective, but somehow it never gave me confidence. That was on v2.1. I couldn't upgrade to v3 because of concerns at the time about increased power draw with v3 which potentially caused brown outs. Align later upgraded the ESC / BECs on the later super combos to compensate.

The beastx I replaced it with just flew so much better. The heli felt nicer and there was no concern about current draw.

I eventually sold the other and now I'm beastx and vortex only.

Fwiw, the beastx IS much easier to setup I think, as the eCCPM mixing is done in the FBL unit rather than in the radio as per the 3gx. I found the "freddy can fly" vids on YouTube invaluable for setting up my 3gx's

Hth. Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

3GX is stupid simple, it's even based on the same setup as a fly-barred heli with just some FBL setup added. Tipping is caused by piolet error, either a poor build, having the comp wrong or having excess vibes, it's as simple as that. Seen the same with every FBL system with a poor build / setup, excess vibes or setup wrong

Last edited by bad007; 09-19-2013 at 06:50 PM..
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be clear, I never had any issues with my 3GX's. I just didn't like the way they flew. As for simplicity - If you think the 3GX is simple to setup - try a BeastX!
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys for the feed back. I don't want it to turn into a what's better match. I just wanted to know why users prefer other brands but I'll try it out for my self. They are sold at a good price so it can't hurt.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 Helis flying 3GX and to date have only used V3 Firmware on 2 and the 3rd is unknown as it's a 3GX mRS in a little 250 Plus. I will go to V4 but am really happy with performance as they are so have not rushed to update.
I've never paid more than $90 NIB for a unit & am totally happy with the system and see them as a bargain. Since V3 & I believe V4 is even better , they fly extremely predictably. I must admit my ability is flying 2.5G only ! Love fff with lots of loops , rolls & inverted flight. Not being capable of flying full 3D , my opinion can be taken as you wish however I do push the limits in the moves I'm capable of. I've never had any Tip-over issue or strange behavior from them with hundreds of flights. God willing , that will be how it will stay !
I have added Castle CC BEC's on the two 450's for a good power supply but the little 250 is Stock with the new Blue ESC which to date has been fine !
They are simple enough to get your head around setup wise & I think you will find Default Settings suitable for the majority of pilots.
I won't hesitate using them in the future as for the price I feel they are hard to beat and only appear to be getting better with each upgrade.
eXo BD3SX Torq/BK HW ,Warp-Spirit/GeoLink MKS , #2 Warp-Spirit KST. iX12
Van Scott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2010 View Post
Thanks guys for the feed back. I don't want it to turn into a what's better match. I just wanted to know why users prefer other brands but I'll try it out for my self. They are sold at a good price so it can't hurt.
Start out just like a FB helli. no horns installed till your 50 in 50 out in the TX.
Use TH 0 50 50 50 100 for easy setup and preview the pc instructions / interface and read every screen before hand.
Always power TX first and then 3GX, always power 3GX off and then the TX.
Initial setup, collective and 8deg. pitch.
Throttle range learn
Tail setup
Flight mode setup, all defaults, just make sure limits are set so there's no binding, do that linked up.
4 Simple steps all independent of each other unlike the BX
Control rates for how fast the cyclic responds, simple
Turn off cyclic expo in the software / 0 and use the TX expo.
Make normal TC the same at mid stick as IU like 0 60 80 ** ** IU ** ** 80 ** ** and the same for curves, 0 at mid stick, normal 40 45 50 75 100.

Last edited by bad007; 09-21-2013 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: added more
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got 3GX an 6 of my heli's & have no intentions of changing,
tourerjim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1
solid as a rock no issues ever (v3.1)
2x Trex 450 V2/V3 Custom CF Align/EXI, Walkera 4f200V Killer little machine !!
3dmac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the feed back. I no longer doubt them and probably will grab one or two when I come across the nib from kits when they are cheap. Checking all of your locations and it looks like I got feed back from users across the world. Thanks again
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Talking

Just listed and sold a NIB one out of a 450l kit for $55 shipped
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What! Wow that's dirt cheap for new. The off brands go for that. Why so cheap and I hate that I missed it. Haven't been hunting for one yet but at that price I would of taken it.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running 3gx v4 on trex 700 xtreme 700 synergy e7 happy with the way they all fly and will buy more. Rc711 has them on special for $89 ��
YXLR8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default replace that worthless 3gx unit ..

And sell it to me cheap!

I had one in a 450 I just sold and flew great. The guy that bought it can relay throw a heli around and is having no problems.

I have one in a 500 dfc and I love it, absolutely no issues.

Just got one off eBay for a trex 600n that I will convert to dfc by Christmas. Paid 55 for that 3gx

I have another 450 that I've thought about converting to flybarless .. so I am looking for one for about $30.

Honestly I think they got a bad name early on but with the new firmware most reports are good.
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I first started using 3GX, it was on my first big heli Trex 550e. In was so scared of making a mistake that would cause it to fail in flight or tip, ect. ect. So I made things way more complicated with fear and having no one to give me person to person help. Soon after getting it I hated the whole system. Until I finally calmed down and started asking the right questions and listening to the right people. (the ones not complaining about it) and I got through the learning curve. Now I laugh at how simple and reliable the 3GX system is.. I have one that the top is creased and broken across the buttons from a nasty crash I had. (worst to date) and it works great! I still don't know much about setting the system up in the program. because it has always worked great other than one issue that I am going to open a thread on, and thats the heli feels and looks notchy during tic-tocs (on my 550e). She is titts in every other way.. I know its just a setting or parameter in the 3GX program, but I haven't done any poking around yet so I don't which one does what? If some one wants to jump in and answere this one that would be great...
The bottom line is the 3GX system is awesome. You have alot more control of the system. You can dial your Heli in to your own perfection. My friend with a beastx hates how much control I have over the system and is always trying to get me to play with it... lol.. he will have a 3GX unit soon.. One thing I learned. When in dought, or you are up against the wall. REBIND! swash tilts to one side. REBIND! sats blink, REBIND! and search this site for the answeres. I always find them if I search long enough or just ask. sorry for any type-o's I'm in a hurry.... need to get my Trex 700n pro fbl 3GX cleaned up and ready for tomarrow..
ukiah74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with bad007.. It's just learning how easy it actually is.. Tipping I have learned is caused by being to carefull, and not spooling up and just getting away from the ground. I was always wanting to feel it out as I took off like a flybar heli, That doesn't work. If the swashplate is level, and nothing is set up in reverse, and all your system is bound and sats are solid, if you tip over. It's you own damn fault. Sorry to be so straight forward but it's true.. 3GX is the best system out, And please everyone get mad at the 3GX and sell it to me for $50.00... I will have one on everything soon..
I know it's very frustrating when you are new to all this.. Take a breath and relax, go to google and type in align 3GX setup.. Then print out one of the step by step 3GX setup sheets for your version.. It made it so much easier to have the whole process in front of me to read over first and memorize. But take your time on the mechanical set-up. If it's wrong in any way the rest of the set-up will not go right and you will have issues. everything 90, little subtrims used as possible, Swash really close to the center, use a swash leveler to level it, (so much easier OMG). with blades at zero pitch. Adjust your links connected to blade grips. And make sure if DFC that the turnbuckle style piece one the blade grip arms IS NOT A TURNBUCKLE. And has to be locktighted in and screwed in, all the way.. When at zero do your min/max pitch Adjust each direction using the swash menu in your controller, leave all end points at there max and dont use them.. (if for any reason your initail mechanical set-up is wronge both sides won't be even. If correct this part will be fast and easy.. if all good read through the set-up sheet you just printed out and your golden.. make sure you check,DOUBLE CHECK, then check again the direction of everything. Especialy the direction of all the gyro directions, elev. ail, rudder!!! This one got me and an ex-friend when we started. He had his gyro set-up to react in reverse for cyclic, for me it was the rudder. I got a fat bruise in the shape of the tail fin and boom on my ankle, and he got to replace his blades, canopy, ect.. take your time, and in dir mode the swash will move alot but it barely moves when your about to fly.. This had me stumped thinking I had it wronge, spent a day trying to fix a problem that I manefested.. Make sure to check the direction of all movements and gyro direction at the field after any set-ups or rebinding, or set-up changes..
I'm no guru by far just trying to help the best I can. I was there and it sucked. now I love the 3GX system and soon you will too.. The best advice I can give you is listen to bad007. He is the one who got me through it.. Thanks Again bad007! I have now progressed to Nitro! Loving it!
ukiah74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well....after selling a parted out 3GX in favor using a AR7200BX for my Trex 600 EFL Pro....I came across a good deal on a Trex 450 Pro Combo Kit.

Having read and heard how bad the 3GX is, I almost sold it but curiosity got the better of me and decided to use it.

First I upgraded the firmware to v3.1, was going with v4.0 but heard it has some issues...okay I can wait for v4.1

Loaded the Software on my Windows 7 - 64bit PC

Went thru a few configuration videos and read the manual a couple of times.

Won't bore you with the setup details but only my experience.

I like the DIR mode

Hate the timeout

The manual could do a better job of explaining the process however the diagrams are nice

If I was stuck with a step, the online community had the answer.

Once it was programmed by radio, I used the USB Link to do the rest...nice feature.

Onto flying....

When you power it up for the first time sometimes the swash does not always level, so you just power off and on again.

My first reaction is well it works and after some tweaking it's not bad...could be better but that's probably me and not familiar with the different settings.

Final thought,

It's early as I only had a few flights but so far, it's nothing to fear and not that bad to program :-)

Would I buy another one , yes I would and at the prices online it's a bargain.

Cheers,

Gord.
gwong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a beautiful day at the field, sun was out, guys in t-shirts, was flying my Mini Titan w/3GX (3.1), no issues for a few flights. Third flight was no different, plugged in a fresh pack, 3GX jumped the collective letting me know it's ready, swash is level, check controls to make sure movement in the right direction. Took off into a nice hover, still in normal mode than BANG, the heli had no control, as if I had no gyro, managed to hit throttle hold, landed hard causing damage to main and tail blades, stripped main gear, bent main shaft, stripped Hitec 5065mg gear set....grrrr....and yes I have an external BEC powering the electronics...prior to this had many flights...no hint of any issues.

My trust in the 3GX just sank a few points.....

Gord.
gwong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in