Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Here's What I Think-G3 Is Great

Since I first posted this message which remains in the following paragraphs, I've had a chance to really dig into the program and with the help of Travis a Helifreak member and a Knife Edge software developer all of my concerns have been addressed. I really appreciate the time Travis took to answer my questions.

Just plunked down 200 of my hard earned for G3 today. Granted, I have not had much time to explore the program, but here are my thoughts. Got it loaded, did the update, then had to go to Google to find out where to get the helis. Installation and the heli update was no problem. I was able to transport my color scheme to G3 with no problems. So far so good.

First the most important, heli physics. Yes, they are improved, at least the gravity or lack thereof problem has been fixed. The helicopters seem to fly much more realistically and therefore are actually harder to fly. This is a good thing because I always thought that the helis in G2 were easier to fly than an actual model, but maybe that's just me.

As usual there are pluses and minuses with new software. There are lots of things missing in G3 that were in G2 or at least I haven't been able to find them. What happened to the music? First I can't minimize the program. I can Alt Esc and bring up windows on top of the program, but I would rather be able to minimize it. What happened to the music? When G3 is running it prevents my monitor from shutting down at the time interval that I've specified. What happened to the music? I can't seem to be able to move the pilot position around or can I move the starting position of the heli. What happened to the music? The zoom function is a lot less flexible than G2s and what's up with the wind selection? That's really bad. What happened to the music? The help menu just sends one to the web manual and that not searchable and therefore not useful for an old guy with limited time left in this world. What happened to the music? The graphics, although good have not been significantly improved over G2. One would never mistake G3's graphics for a photograph. At least the heli does not continue to travel downwind when after a crash, it just partially buries itself after shedding its blades. I guess that's appropriate if not totally realistic. What happened to the music? I really liked the sounds the G3 helis make. I thought that my helicopters were making just a little too much of it so I went to find out how to turn it down. I finally found it. What the heck is that all about? Resonance 1 and Resonance 2? Well. I left the sound where it was thinking that I wouldn't miss the music as much.

I'm sure I'll find some of the things I've mentioned, or I should say I hope to find some of the missing things. The heli physics are improved, but at a rather steep cost. Am I glad I bought it? No, not yet and I don't own Reflex or have I ever used it.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Re: Here's What I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebob
What happened to the music?
I'm surprised that you miss it.

WinAmp and Windows Media Player are good music players. Both have functionality like playlists and streaming audio that just don't fit into what a flight simulator should be doing.

Quote:
First I can't minimize the program.
Yeah, I hate that one to. You can't resize the window either. It is a known issue and we are working on it.

Quote:
When G3 is running it prevents my monitor from shutting down at the time interval that I've specified.
I know why we try to prevent your screen saver from coming on, but I have no idea why we prevent the monitor from entering power save mode. I find it interesting that you'd want to leave G3 running and then walk away from your computer.

Quote:
I can't seem to be able to move the pilot position around or can I move the starting position of the heli.
There are several ways to move the pilot position. The W, A, S and D keys move the pilot around. The E key allows you to walk around your aircraft with the mouse. Clicking or pressing escape will set the pilot position.

You can press the X key to switch between the predefined pilot and aircraft positions.

If you want to, you can open up the airport editor and create or move 'pilot spawn' and 'heli spanw' points around the flying field. When you get back to the sim, the X key will switch between them.

Quote:
The zoom function is a lot less flexible than G2s
How so? The Z key switches zoom modes. You can choose from keep ground in view, auto zoom and manual zoom modes. The plus and minus keys are used to zoom in and out, and backspace resets the zoom to the default.

There is also a camera setting, called camera lag, in the simulation settings dialog. It allows the aircraft to move away from the center of the screen, which helps to give you an idea of which direction the aircraft is moving.

Quote:
what's up with the wind selection?
Page Up and Page Down control the wind speed. Home and End keys control the direction. You can also change them in the simulation settings dialog.

Quote:
I thought that my helicopters were making just a little too much of it so I went to find out how to turn it down. I finally found it. What the heck is that all about?
Not sure which sound you are talking about. There are several. There are generic volume settings in the simulation settings dialog. If you want to change the volume for a specific sound, you'll have to edit the aircraft. There are volume controls for the aircraft engine, rotor blades and tail rotor.

Quote:
Resonance 1 and Resonance 2?
If you have spent time around planks or gliders this will make sense. When an aircraft flies past at high speed, you can usually hear some wind noise. Load up a sailplane at the Sierra Nevada Cliff airport and do a fast pass. You'll hear the wing whistle as it flies by. This is the resonance sound.

Quote:
There are lots of things missing in G3 that were in G2 or at least I haven't been able to find them.
More than the above list? Please mention them.

Travis
vitek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2004, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Travis,

Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful. I didn't sleep much last night, spending most of it playing with G3. Had I stumbled on the "h" key and the keyboard commands most of my concerns would have been satisfied. A functional "help" menu would be nice for those of us who have problems reading manuals.

After spending all night using G3 am I glad I bought it. Yes, now I am. So much for the forums, I'm going back flying my helis on G3.

I was kidding about the music.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I was kidding about the music.
I'm glad to hear that.

Quote:
Had I stumbled on the "h" key and the keyboard commands
I should've mentioned that above. How to access the keyboard commands gadget is nonobvious until you happen to notice the nice little message that shows up at the bottom of the screen.

I'm glad to hear that you are liking it.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitek
I know why we try to prevent your screen saver from coming on, but I have no idea why we prevent the monitor from entering power save mode.
As it turns out, we prevent the screen saver and power save mode from coming on for the same reasons.
  1. We don't want the screen saver to come on or monitor to shut off while they're flying the sim.
  2. We don't want the software/hardware to get into a bad state.
I believe other DirectX software does the same thing. If you want your monitor to power off when G3 is running, the power button should be easy to find.

Travis
Old 12-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I believe other DirectX software does the same thing. If you want your monitor to power off when G3 is running, the power button should be easy to find.
Travis,

You give me more credit than I probably deserve.

You guys have done a great job. G3 is truly a remarkable piece of work. There remain several things that I would like to see changed. First is the inability to minimize the program. When I was using G2 it was almost always running on my computer, at least in the background. When I had other things to do on my computer I simply minimized it and went on with what I had to do. When I was ready to fly again, one click and I was up and running. Also, power saver mode would work when G2 was minimized. The second thing I'm having a problem with is pilot position. I've found out how to move around and it's not too difficult to get into a good position. However, after exiting and restarting the program the previous pilot position is lost. Also, I think the rotor disk is a little too prominent. Little things I know.

Again, great simulator.

Bob

Churchill
Old 12-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
You give me more credit than I probably deserve.
Sorry about the joke. I couldn't resist.

Quote:
First is the inability to minimize the program.
As I mentioned above, this is one of my biggest complaints. I am hoping that it will be addressed soon.

Quote:
after exiting and restarting the program the previous pilot position is lost.
Understood. The only thing I could suggest would be to open up the airport in the airport editor and move the pilot spawn points around as you see fit. You can place the pilot and the aircraft starting locations. You can also set the default starting position. Once you've done this you will always start in the location you specified in the editor.

Travis
Old 12-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Understood. The only thing I could suggest would be to open up the airport in the airport editor and move the pilot spawn points around as you see fit. You can place the pilot and the aircraft starting locations. You can also set the default starting position. Once you've done this you will always start in the location you specified in the editor.
Thanks, Travis I'm going to edit my first post to reflect my respect for the program.

Bob

Churchill
Old 12-23-2004, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Bob...

hehe, you had my going early this morning with the "What happened to the music?" question.

I too miss that feature but am finally getting used to running windows media player 10 with a playlist.

Looks like Travis was on top of all your questions.

Pete Niotis
Pete Niotis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2004, 06:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I to miss the ability to minimize the sim if I have to do something else for a minute. Luckily I installed G3 on my Video Editing machine so I can work off my primary workstation and fly off "Video" (the box has a name ), but it still would be nice to be able to minimize if necessary.

Other than that, I really like it. I never used the music.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Check me down again for missing the music also!

With WMP running it the background... you have to alt-tab out all the time to adjust, select, pause and restart it. it would be great as a gadgit like so many others.

Nice coverage Travis!
Hitch-Hiker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in