Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YGE ESC throttle calibration

Hi all,

How do I set the throttle calibration on a YGE ESC? (60 amp one that comes with the mini protos kit) I'm running it with the flybar and spektrum dx8. I don't have the prog card. Can I use gov-store mode or do I use gov mode for that? (I've seen a thread talk about gov and gov-store as 2 separate things)

Also on a separate & completely unrelated and less important note, does anybody happen to know the gear ratio on the miniP? (using the stock 16t pinion) Thanks for the help everyone.
Jeff W. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gear ratio is 120/16 = 7.5:1
flyingw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff, you can run plain gov mode only. Gov store can be set using the Progcard II, not through stick setup.

Throttle calibration is simple. Connect flight pack on full throttle (don't forget to set your throttle limits to +/-100% and throttle curve to go to 100% as well). ESC will start beeping constantly. While it's beeping, move throttle stick to zero. ESC will change the beeping pattern and set throttle zero point. The it will initialize. Disconnect battery and you're done.

I can only recommend you get the Progcard. Gov store us far superior to plain gov mode and spoolup is set to ridiculously slow speed out of the box. You will spend a lot of time waiting for that thing to get to full rpm.
RCHN#233 | Lynx Heli Innovations Team
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
baui2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Once I calibrate it, do I need to recalibrate the throttle range every time I fly? I see something mentioning a slight drop in the throttle as the ESC learns the full throttle range. Is that something I need to worry about? I've noticed that if I lift off before the blades reach their normal rpm then it stays at a very low rpm the entire flight, even if the battery is fully charged.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still a beginner... the gear ratio confuses me. I calculated (and correct me if I'm wrong, since I very well could be) that at 100% throttle the hs should be almost 3800 rpm. That seems ridiculously high... I don't think the mini is supposed to go above 3100 -3200, from reading other threads. What hs (and throttle %) is good for a beginner learning basic handling of the heli? About 2400-2500 rpm? Using 3s lipo and stock 2580kv motor.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff W. View Post
I'm still a beginner... the gear ratio confuses me. I calculated (and correct me if I'm wrong, since I very well could be) that at 100% throttle the hs should be almost 3800 rpm. That seems ridiculously high... I don't think the mini is supposed to go above 3100 -3200, from reading other threads. What hs (and throttle %) is good for a beginner learning basic handling of the heli? About 2400-2500 rpm? Using 3s lipo and stock 2580kv motor.
Yes they have it geared to be governed but it is plenty overgeared.

I think 2500 is too low on 325mm blades. 2700 is a nice starting point where it won't be extreme but will have enough power and tail authority to recover if something happens. Of course this is subjective and if you like 2500 then by all means use it.

But if you like the lower head speeds you could look into getting the 4s motor (2010kv) and running it on 3s. Then the stock gearing is much better for 2700 governed and lower. And it would still get to 3150 on 100% flat.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if you bought this new or used ... you can get the book free down load at msh direct or msh web site ..
U guna love this bird ..

Shhhhhh its a protos you dont have to yell ... hehe .. ps i love the stupid slow spool up on my 500 .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, of course I bought it new. If i'm gonna fly it like it's my baby, I'm gonna build it myself.
Then again, I've already had a crash - very minor though, although I guess that that counts as my heli being "used" now. Only broke the blades and the flybar carrier. My training gear absorbed a majority of the impact, luckily.

I'll try 2700 hs. Maybe that'll solve the problem of my mini protos being a bit sluggish. I don't feel like buying a new motor right now, but maybe someday I'll consider it.

Just a note of clarification - if I'm running gov mode and I have a flat throttle curve at 72% (which should give me 2700 rpm) I spool up, wait for the slight throttle dip, then the ESC remembers that 72% throttle = whatever motor rpm gives me 2700 hs until I unplug the battery?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the "normal" gov mode with the dip after spool up your HS will vary a bit from batt to batt depending on batt condition. But it should stay the same during flight unless your batts are tired.

Throttle calibration once done does not need to be repeated.

FYI the YGE gov works well with TC down to 60%. And yes, it´s a bit sluggish down there. How much pitch do you run?

"I've noticed that if I lift off before the blades reach their normal rpm then it stays at a very low rpm the entire flight, even if the battery is fully charged."

Sometimes the esc gets a bit confused when the throttle value is low and/or you play around with the throttle curves (IU1/2) during spool up. After having an incident with my Protos (same esc) where it went to 100% I always wait for the HS to plateau.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for the support. I really like the forum - everyone's nice, and the help you can get is priceless.

Just had my first flight after the snow has all melted, and I must say... I've never had so much fun getting rid of dandelions. This heli has been a great investment for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020038.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	506269  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glad you like it, it's a fun heli. Now go back to your room and clean that thing!
RCHN#233 | Lynx Heli Innovations Team
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
baui2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in