Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New 800e owner's first flights

New 800e owner Matt McDermott flies his new bird for the first time. He is using a different radio that has the collective stick sprung to center. Turn up the volume...

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default nu

Can I use a blue aluminum servo wheel on the tail servo instead of that cheap looking plastic arm? Also, what head speed is he running in this video?
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

He is running 1950 on the headspeed.

I think as long as you have the 13mm between the center of the linkage ball and the center of the servo horn bolt you should be OK... But, if you are ever in a crash that metal horn is not going to give and you run the risk of trashing the servo. I have had crashes where the servo arm actually broke off sparing the rudder servo. Besides, that servo horn is almost out of sight unless you look up inside.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the lowest headspeed you can run before the castle gives you issues? Wonder if your friend can post his castle 160 setup......any idea where his gov. Gain is?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew it at 1650 and that was a little slow. It felt heavy. It sounded kinda cool though. 1750 felt allot better for scale type flying. 1830 felt OK for smooth Logo style Slo-D.

12S, TP 4400mAh, 65C, ±12° Pitch, Vbar 5.3

We didn't spend allot of time at the lower headspeeds because Matt really has no desire to fly it any other way.

The CC HV120 settings were mostly default except a lower headspeed change rate, lower initial spool up rate, and governor gain at 12. The motor was running a little warm, we will tweak on it some more this weekend.

The tail was rock solid, not even hint of blowout. Motor pulled strong, and did not notice any lag in the governor either.

The TP 4400s would bog slightly if you got to greedy with the collective. 5300s would really do well in this thing.

Last edited by nu66ie; 10-16-2012 at 10:16 PM..
nu66ie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont see how the 4400's would make it bog? Those batteries have massive grunt! If anything the 5300's are going to make the heli noticably heavier and bog even more! My TP 4400's handle anything I can throw at them in my Whiplash...which is a little heavy.
raptorz499 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mah size doesn't bog a heli its the "C" rating. Bigger Mah just gives you longer flight times. Light packs should make the heli more nimble.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My bad, I should have been more specific.

The TP4400's are 65C and the 5300's I was referring to were the Gens Ace 5300mAh 65C.

Both sets of flight packs are not fresh and have many, many flights on them and are a little tired. The bogging was not bad, and you had to listen for it, but you could hear it when he got to greedy on the collective. A 3:50 flight brought the TPs down to 20%, and the GA down to 19%.

He flew one flight on a set of pretty tired Gens Ace 5300's which seemed to start to drop headspeed sooner than the TPs. Both sets performed well as you can see on the video. Again, you had to listen for the changes, or you probably wouldn't even notice. Matt said he couldn't really notice a difference in response from the 180 gram heavier GA 5300 pack.

Is it possible that ±12° of pitch on 800mm blades at 1950 rpm at an altitude of 5500 feet may be a little too much? More tweaking will be done this weekend.

We have a new set of Gens Ace 5300 65C ordered and will report back on their performance in the 800e and 700e DFC as well.

I appreciate your comments.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regardless, great video and awesome power for such a huge rotordisc!! The head is obviously going to bog down some because the disc area is wayyyy larger than a 700 size blade. Dropping to 11 degrees pitch will definitely be a huge difference I believe! This heli was not designed for smack 3D anyways.
raptorz499 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is its the motor that is the weak link. Would love to see a KDE or scorpion in here! The size of the disc is meaningless if the correct motor and voltage is up to spec. Another idea is to run the KDE 390kv on 14s. Then this thing would haul A_ _. Also, don't be so quick to toss out the idea of this being a 3d machine. There are other videos of this bird flown a LOT more aggressive with no bogging at all. This will be a better 3d bird than the bloated Logo extreme that's for sure.......
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorz499 View Post
I dont see how the 4400's would make it bog? Those batteries have massive grunt! If anything the 5300's are going to make the heli noticably heavier and bog even more! My TP 4400's handle anything I can throw at them in my Whiplash...which is a little heavy.
Get these 5300's for the trekker $99 each.. http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=370

I get 6 min. and they come down cool after beating it hard... they are nice tight wound packs no nano puff packs... i know the guy that sells these and they come from a reputible factory...

Heli flys like a feather with the 5300's
Mxracer3651 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in