Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default belt keeps coming off

Is anybody else having the problem where your tail belt keeps popping off the pulley I can't even get 30 seconds of light without it happening and I've tried everything I've taken it apart the pulleys are moving nicely it makes no sense why is this happening? I sure did get a lemon of a kit. My motor also makes that horrible noise it start up and it's cool down which is crazy. Anyway didn't mean to get off the subject does anyone else have any ideas this is making me crazy I've taken this thing apart 10 times now make sure everything is working nicely and every time I spool it up the tail belt pops off the side that is pulling( Driver side if it was a car). my tail starts wagging and I land.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default rpms

Just in case you're wondering my head speed is at 3500 RPMs at 90 % throttle on a YGE 60
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the pulley lined up with the main tail drive? How is the belt tension? If they are tight, I don't see how they would come off.

Everyone seems to have the motor noise upon spooling up and down.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I haven't had this problem yet, the bottom ridge of the tail pulley seems to just barely line up with the tensioner pulleys. The kit probably needs a mainshaft spacer about twice the thickness that it currently has. You could try putting 2mm washers in between the tail pulley and the main pulley to lower the tail pulley down a little.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default problem

I think I might have found the problem finally well the final problem. The original problem was that the pulley was getting stop inside the frame On the non- tension inside of the belt. Fix that by filing down the frames. ThinkingI had it fixed I tried to fly it same issue so I kept checking everything taking it apart everything seemed to be fine. So I took it all apart again and it seems that the pulley that provides tension for the tail had notchy bearings because the screw that holds the bigger pulley for the motor belt tension down had backed out to make it tight for the lower pulley Too much tension creating notchy bearings I'm assuming made it skip off. It's too dark now but I spooled it up outside for about 45 seconds and the belt did not come off so hopefully the problem has been fixed we'll see tomorrow when I get some flights in hopefully. I must say the one time where I could tell after 40 seconds or so the belt popped off it flew great for those 40 seconds.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

My last two flights had the belt come off the slack side, I'm hoping it was to loose athough it felt tight enough, I made it tighter.Haven't tried flying again so not sure if that was it?
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i noticed on mine today the pulleys are slightly tilted forward when i use the mtr shat bearing support and there just a hair away from the frames ,thats one of the few things holding me up on the build right now
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachur779 View Post
i noticed on mine today the pulleys are slightly tilted forward when i use the mtr shat bearing support and there just a hair away from the frames ,thats one of the few things holding me up on the build right now
There is very little room there. once you've assembled it just make sure your pulleys spin freely.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i see that i spent a good hour on that making sure to its not to tight where the bearings are notchy also making sure iam not hitting the frame ,are you using the mtr support bearing
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i see that i spent a good hour on that making sure to its not to tight where the bearings are notchy also making sure iam not hitting the frame ,are you using the mtr support bearing
The holes on your tensioner mount are probably drilled at an angle. Mine was lean toward the motor shaft and touches the pinion slightly. I contacted Mike from Nankin and he sent me a replacement tensioner mount the next day and just received it today. .
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor support bearing

Quote:
Yes I'm using the motor support bearing.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
The holes on your tensioner mount are probably drilled at an angle. Mine was lean toward the motor shaft and touches the pinion slightly. I contacted Mike from Nankin and he sent me a replacement tensioner mount the next day and just received it today. .
My holes everything was fine everything is going properly was just for some reason the screw backed out and put much pressure on that lower bearing I hope.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
I think I might have found the problem finally well the final problem. The original problem was that the pulley was getting stop inside the frame On the non- tension inside of the belt. Fix that by filing down the frames. ThinkingI had it fixed I tried to fly it same issue so I kept checking everything taking it apart everything seemed to be fine. So I took it all apart again and it seems that the pulley that provides tension for the tail had notchy bearings because the screw that holds the bigger pulley for the motor belt tension down had backed out to make it tight for the lower pulley Too much tension creating notchy bearings I'm assuming made it skip off. It's too dark now but I spooled it up outside for about 45 seconds and the belt did not come off so hopefully the problem has been fixed we'll see tomorrow when I get some flights in hopefully. I must say the one time where I could tell after 40 seconds or so the belt popped off it flew great for those 40 seconds.
you may need another spacer in that assembly. I did with mine otherwise the pulley would hit the frame when everything was tightened.

This heli is a very precise machine. Many of you all didn't get the "joy" of beating a mainshaft into a MA machine back in the day lol, or shimming until your eyes bleed certain parts for older high end machines like MA, Avant etc... Most everything now aday is plastic dingleberry AK47 style manufacturing. IE make it loose and sloppy and good enough... I can't say names, but I think we all know. Anyway, this small heli is very very very important to get assembly right. When you do it will be smooth as glass. BUT this is not a beginners building heli. Once you guys get it figured out, you will have learned alot of about heli setup. I know it sux now to "crash course" learn better setup and having to fidge fudge around to "fix" what you consider flaws, but in effect this is just a more precision machine and it will take ALOT more attention to small details to get it right. Once you learn it though, it will be second nature though and not a big deal, but in the interim you feel like

Trust me I've been in the same spots and had the same grief with many other brands. I'm sorry for your frustration, but it will be worth it once you figure it out.

Also, don't get mad and sell it.... If you can get to a funfly event some of us attent, we'd be more than happy to help get it sorted out and explain the process or rationale for what's going on. We only charge beer, food, etc... Just kidding hehe!
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cook View Post
Also, don't get mad and sell it....
Is that even possible?
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
We only charge beer, food, etc... Just kidding hehe!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
you may need another spacer in that assembly. I did with mine otherwise the pulley would hit the frame when everything was tightened.
x2 ....

I can't stop flying mine now ... I actually get disappointed when I run out of packs at our Saturday evening indoor flying sessions, depressed the next day unless it's warm enough to fly outside, and then excited for the rest of the week for Saturday night to roll around again. Every time I fly my Warp, I marvel at how quiet it is and how well it flies.

Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Every time I fly my Warp, I marvel at how quiet it is and how well it flies.

Exactly what I used to say about my 6s and 12s stretched 450s just before the custom gears failed, or the feathering shafts snapped. And I had to pick up what was left of my (not a part stock left) 450s up off the grass in little pieces. I spent roughly 30 to 50 hours on each heli in assembly just getting them vibe free and quiet after they were built. Plus, endless hundreds in custom parts.

The warp does this already! Quiet and vibe free. Btw, Jeff, any vibe logs yet?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I shut logging off, but I was getting less than a magnitude of 1 with stock gyro tape and no special considerations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
I shut logging off, but I was getting less than a magnitude of 1 with stock gyro tape and no special considerations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Good to hear
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default Vib log

My Warp's mainshaft vibs have been in the 700-1000 range as recorded by my Robird.My other stretch 450's record vibs in the 200 -300 range, so this might be a normal vib for the Warp?On the Robird anything over 700 is risky,so I tried 4 different sets of blades and the vibs remained.
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in