Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Hobbywing Platinum-50A-V3

New ESC. Looks interesting! One of the few in this size that has a HV BEC.

Some nice features:
  • Switch Mode BEC, 5.2V/6.0V/7.4V Cont.: 7A, Burst: 15A *BEC has the cut-through protection (which means the battery voltage wont get through to the receiver if the BEC is accidentally damaged).*
  • Multiple flight modes: Fixed Wing Airplane/ Heli with Governor Off/ Heli with Governor (Elf) / Heli with Governor Store.
  • Brand new governor program, easy to operate; and its excellent speed-governing effect can make big rotor blades more stable even under rapid load change.
  • ”Restart in auto rotation" can manually interrupt the auto rotation and quickly restart the motor to avoid crashes caused by incorrect operations.
  • Independent output port for RPM (that is: motor speed) signals.
  • The independent port, for connecting the program box and setting parameters, can also be the output port of the running status data of the ESC. When coordinating with the data transmission module, it can make the real-time data monitoring and logging possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PL-50A-V3-1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	494831   Click image for larger version

Name:	PL-50A-V3-3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	494832  
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

specs on the BEC power match Gryphon Agena looks really impressive. the build in RPM sensor is convenient as well, been running HW external RPM sensor with good luck, hopefully this one does not dissapoint either.

Anyone found a source other than aliexpress ? Preferably Europe..
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Hobbywing Platinum-50A-V3

Wow, perfectly suited for a Warp. Good price point as well...
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks nice, I might have tried one had it come out sooner. Too bad it doesn't look like it has active freewheeling. That would have made the features perfect. As long as it can handle the demands of hard flight on a FBL governor that is. I hear the old blue platinum series had issues and failures there. O well, I am happy with my YGE/WR BEC combos.
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you need to use an ESC governor, the YGE and Kontronik are hard to beat.

Generally, the HobbyWing is an OK ESC and is very reliable, but it's not GREAT in terms of performance. What it is, is an excellent value.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Some early gov testing shows that it is able to hold headspeed close to Kontronik specs.

I have personally had two HW 100amp ESC's blow on me in 6 months when using them with Vbar Govenor. I wouldn't try one on anything larger than a 450 again. I hope they have improved the reliability with this new design.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Millar View Post
Some early gov testing shows that it is able to hold headspeed close to Kontronik specs.

I have personally had two HW 100amp ESC's blow on me in 6 months when using them with Vbar Govenor. I wouldn't try one on anything larger than a 450 again. I hope they have improved the reliability with this new design.
dang really? I've been running a HW 100A platinum for the past year and a half on my G500 with the ikon gov with no problems. did it blow because of heat? I've got a scorpion fan rigged up on mine and it never gets above 100 degrees F.
Frostwick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwick View Post
dang really? I've been running a HW 100A platinum for the past year and a half on my G500 with the ikon gov with no problems. did it blow because of heat? I've got a scorpion fan rigged up on mine and it never gets above 100 degrees F.
Nope, mine never really got hot either. Something went internally and they just stopped powering up.
I had one go on my Gaui X5 mid flight. The other on my X4ii let go on the bench during Vbar gov set-up.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it is due to the high demands a fbl governor puts on the ESC. Heathy had a bunch burn out as well running the Skookum governor I believe. I just don't think the HW is up to the task. Maybe this new version addressed that issue however. That would be nice as it looks like a nice ESC at a good price. If not, you cant go wrong with a YGE. You get a RPM out, active freewheel, and no issues at all with a FBL governor. More money but, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
I think it is due to the high demands a fbl governor puts on the ESC. Heathy had a bunch burn out as well running the Skookum governor I believe. I just don't think the HW is up to the task. Maybe this new version addressed that issue however. That would be nice as it looks like a nice ESC at a good price. If not, you cant go wrong with a YGE. You get a RPM out, active freewheel, and no issues at all with a FBL governor. More money but, you get what you pay for.
100% agree.

Hope they fixed the issue with this ESC. Unit then I'm running YGE on everything.
YGE needs to come out with a 50-60amp with a HV BEC.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Millar View Post
100% agree.

Hope they fixed the issue with this ESC. Unit then I'm running YGE on everything.
YGE needs to come out with a 50-60amp with a HV BEC.
Yeah, that would be sweet. But, for now the YGE60/WR mini bec G2 combo I am using works great even if it is a little bulky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in