Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
Can I ask why Ys 91SRX Tareq over the 120SRX? I'm new to nitro so trying to understand if they cost about the same why not opt for the extra power?

Ray
Look back to post #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Matt- Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got the 91 SRX because of posts like #6. I'm just finishing a build so haven't run it yet. I'll try to report back on its performance.
C #773
Heli$ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, like to hear your thoughts after she's in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's my first tuning flight from this past weekend, YS 91 SRX. Just big power stuff and it was a little rich. Got it dialed in on the next flight, but I'm still waiting to find out who videoed that one.

Throttle is a V curve 100-65-100

Matt Nasca Gaui NX7 YS91SRX AeroHobbies 2014 (5 min 6 sec)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice....
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw that in the Gaui forum, I think, Matt. New Tareq engine, evidently? I was thinking you had at least one other from your past comments.

Sure sounds different than the 91sr "Long Stroke". I can't decide what the heck my 91sr sounds like. Something between a commercial lawn mower and a normal glow heli engine note. Much lower pitch sound.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I saw that in the Gaui forum, I think, Matt. New Tareq engine, evidently? I was thinking you had at least one other from your past comments.

Sure sounds different than the 91sr "Long Stroke". I can't decide what the heck my 91sr sounds like. Something between a commercial lawn mower and a normal glow heli engine note. Much lower pitch sound.
Yes it's the 91 SRX Tareq and brand new. I'm running throttle curves and not a governor so that's probably why it sounds different. I don't know the headspeed but in a hover it's probably around 2150-2200ish if I had to guess.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Matt, do you prefer to run your nitros without a governor, and just a throttle curve? I'm trying to learn more about gov vs no gov on the nitro. Thanks.
datatools is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is actually the first time I've run without the governor. The governor is definitely better at keeping the head speed on smooth flying but most of my stuff is power flying in which case it probably doesn't matter.

I'm gonna stay with curves for a little while and also test the governor
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, your engine sounds more typical of a big bore glow engine to me. The long stroke 91sr is VERY different sounding. Much more lawn mower-ish. I take it this engine wasn't out of the box new? Had some fuel through it already?

This is an interesting model. Look forward to seeing a bunch of them in modeler's hands and flying fields.

How much of the airframe shares goodies with the X7?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Matt,

Do you have some more information on your fuel bladder setup? Did you find some info online that you followed maybe?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Actually, your engine sounds more typical of a big bore glow engine to me. The long stroke 91sr is VERY different sounding. Much more lawn mower-ish. I take it this engine wasn't out of the box new? Had some fuel through it already?

This is an interesting model. Look forward to seeing a bunch of them in modeler's hands and flying fields.

How much of the airframe shares goodies with the X7?

That flight was it's ...5th flight. It's a 91 SRX with a 120 hatori pipe. I think the sound is because it's running a higher headspeed on throttle curves. I tried the 91 SRX pipe also that weekend and it sounded more muffled. The air gets out of the engine quicker with the 120 pipe under load.

The entire head is X7, the entire tail is X7, the skids are X7, the frames, engine mounts and clutch stack are NX7.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
Hey Matt,

Do you have some more information on your fuel bladder setup? Did you find some info online that you followed maybe?
I was shown how to do the bladder by a few other people. I'll take some pics of it this week and post up. It's pretty easy to make.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, that would be awesome. I've been wanting to try it.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hahahahah....have my balloon ready...

Actually, I saw WesleyG do a very nice how-to vid.
Nitro fuel bladder (11 min 32 sec)

Pretty simple compared to the rest of the system. Crankcase pressure still to the tank, but it's functioning to collapse the balloon. No clunk is a change.

Also, Mike Fortin did a video too, also informative:
RC Heli Fuel Bladder How-To (4 min 20 sec)

I've not tried it yet, but believe I will do so next season. That along with some mild port enhancements to my YS 91sr. I am still not thrilled with changing it out frequently, but might well be worth it. Those who use it swear it has made tuning a great deal easier.

I don't know why we don't yet have electronic fuel injection with all the rest of the electronics possible. Outboard makers implemented this years ago on their 2 stroke outboards, the best of which being a direct spray injection on the head. At this point, there's not enough demand.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
I was shown how to do the bladder by a few other people. I'll take some pics of it this week and post up. It's pretty easy to make.

Matt - does the NX7 tank facilitate easily replacing the balloon when using the bladder setup?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Matt - does the NX7 tank facilitate easily replacing the balloon when using the bladder setup?

Yes sir. The tank comes out with one screw. It does help if you dremel the frame out a little bit to make room for the brass fitting from the bladder. Just a small amount of material from the frame directly behind the tank is all that is necessary. Also you want to open up the little notch where the top pressure nipple goes through the frame.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys what is the optimal plug and fuel to use for the ys91Tareq?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in