Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Xtreme- Production CF Frame Review

Well I promised the review by today and here it is. This frame was sent to me by Xtreme and while not "official" they call me a sponsored pilot. Now with that out of the way.

The frame needs assembly and to assemble it you must partially disassemble the frame to install the pieces. The CF is the same thickness as their CF landing skids. The frame is quite stiff despite it looking "weak". There is no flex or twist in the frame and I could not get the boom to slip out by hand. An aluminum boom block is on the way, however, that is what they tell me. The frame is rather wide as the servos mount nearly flush to the frame sides, they do not have stand offs like other frames. I will be putting in a Spin 16300 soon. Enjoy the 1080p video with pics at the end.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEdaJLpUpn0[/ame]
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice review
merch@nt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great review. Could you touch on the strength of the boom mount. I heard you say that it wouldn't throw the boom but that isn't my concern. Im worried about side to side strength. Thanks a ton and agian great review.
new bee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
Great review. Could you touch on the strength of the boom mount. I heard you say that it wouldn't throw the boom but that isn't my concern. Im worried about side to side strength. Thanks a ton and agian great review.
I'll add another video when I get home but there is no movement if memory serves me right.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the review.
You mentioned the canopy pins installed from inside the frame out, so if they broke, especially the ones at the AR, you have to unscrew to upper bearing block to install the pins? If that's the case, that's not a good design.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dumb question..... Got lots of those... but..
what is Xtreme's www address? Thanks for the review Sym..
happy flying.
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPlainsDrifter View Post
dumb question..... Got lots of those... but..
what is Xtreme's www address? Thanks for the review Sym..
happy flying.

Here http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtr...id=39&Itemid=9
merch@nt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRunner View Post
Thanks for the review.
You mentioned the canopy pins installed from inside the frame out, so if they broke, especially the ones at the AR, you have to unscrew to upper bearing block to install the pins? If that's the case, that's not a good design.
It's only 2 screws I believe because if you remove 1 screw from each side of the bearing block, it will swing up and out of the way.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

kewl, I just bought one. Gonna slap a spin 16300 in there and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I unfortunately can't take a video but the boom block itself has no movement. With excessive force you can get about a mm or so of side to side movement of the entire frame rear of the bearing blocks, but the MicroHeli frame has a lot more movement rear of the bearing blocks. I just compared the 2 side by side.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

What stops the tail boom block from pivoting up and down on the 2 screws in the side plates? If you break a canopy pin do you have to buy replacement pins or can you make them from cf rod like the MH frames?
Goatkeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatkeeper View Post
What stops the tail boom block from pivoting up and down on the 2 screws in the side plates? If you break a canopy pin do you have to buy replacement pins or can you make them from cf rod like the MH frames?
Nothing, it just doesn't move. It's a super tight fit and I honestly can't get movement out of it. You must buy the Xtreme canopy pins.

http://www.clubheli.com/Spare-Parts-...me_p_3773.html
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
Nothing, it just doesn't move. It's a super tight fit and I honestly can't get movement out of it. You must buy the Xtreme canopy pins.

http://www.clubheli.com/Spare-Parts-...me_p_3773.html
Hi,
I have just transferred from a RKH frame to the Xtreme frame. I like that the main carbon fibre frames are identical and that the inner plastic pieces that hold the servos and the like deal with the skewed servo locations and are protected by the outer frame. This seems like a better arrangement to me.

I have been unable to get a pair of Xtreme skids in Oz so I have attached my Xtreme boom supports to the lower frame screws.

My warning and biggest gripe is with the holes in the CF frame which are a little too small. I found that the screws screwed into the CF frame before they bit into the plastic inner frame. This meant that you had to keep screwing to ream out the CF and screw into the plastic. Unfortunately, on a few occasions I ended up stripping the thread on the plastic components. You can even be super careful with the screws or maybe open the holes in the CF frame to a clearance fit - maybe 1.3mm.

Other than this it went together easily.

The boom mount seems good to me, especially with the boom supports. It is quite flexible so I think it will be very forgiving in a crash.

The canopy pins are interesting. Firstly, they are quite large and it was difficult to get the canopy on. It is unlikely to fall off. Secondly, they are made of a very flexible plastic which flexed a lot when I put the canopy on. Be very careful. I used a little oil on the pins to help. I imagine that Xtreme have chosen this material so that I flexes rather than breaks during a crash. Time will tell if this is a good idea.
I have crashed once and bent a microheli aluminium main shaft but the frame and canopy is ok.

My setup is:
Xtreme frame
Spin 16,300 motor
The Steve
XP12 (only esc I had spare)
550 mah batteries from SR120
Xtreme swash (don't like, always throwing balls)
Xtreme head
RKH blade grips
2mm solid boom
Astroid Designs twin inline tail holder with coreless motors
KBDD main and tail blades.
Xtreme canopy

Cheers,
Ibs

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332241063096.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	300446   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332241084603.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	300447   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332241123103.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	300448  
IanWhitehead65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone else have a definitive good or bad response to what they think about this frame? I am intersted but would like to see more reviews.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Does anyone else have a definitive good or bad response to what they think about this frame? I am intersted but would like to see more reviews.
I like the frame. I think once the Alum tail boom mount gets released i will probably recommend it more. The motor mount area being metal is great. Frame is pretty solid, seeing as the CF sides are fairly thick.

As it stands now, I am kind of so-so about it. Its def rugged and fairly structurally sound, but my only gripes are the flimsy canopy mounts and that tail boom mount. Also be careful with some of the delrin you screw into. Doesn't take much to strip some of the screw holes.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjah413 View Post
I like the frame. I think once the Alum tail boom mount gets released i will probably recommend it more. The motor mount area being metal is great. Frame is pretty solid, seeing as the CF sides are fairly thick.

As it stands now, I am kind of so-so about it. Its def rugged and fairly structurally sound, but my only gripes are the flimsy canopy mounts and that tail boom mount. Also be careful with some of the delrin you screw into. Doesn't take much to strip some of the screw holes.
Are you using a V1 or V2? Wondering about the vibes since I have a V2 with a Spin 16300
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Are you using a V1 or V2? Wondering about the vibes since I have a V2 with a Spin 16300
I am running a V1 board. Not sure how it would cope with a V2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
IanWhitehead65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatkeeper View Post
The boom mount has square tits that lock into square frame holes. This part is stronger than I expected.

I like the adjustable metal motor mount.

Only way your replacing canopy pins is to remove the side or all screws but one and pivot on that one screw.

I had several screw that never tightened. Never even got the chance to strip them. They just screw in and spin.

Canopy pins are very floppy. Have back and forth movement before ever applying any pressure.

Overall, I believe next time I will spend the hour that it took to put this thing together at work and spend my money on a better frame. Good thing I picked up a rakon v2 in a trade. I don't like the Rakon as much as the microheli but side by side its an easy choice for me.

If the screws would have tightened I would say its a pretty good frame other than the canopy pins but who wants to go through the trouble of taking all those screws out to change out the canopy pins just to put them back and the screws hold even less. I am still yet to put the spin motor in it. Kinda lost my motivation with the disappointment.

Others may very well have plastic parts made to were they tighten correctly. Just thought I would get my experience down here because im sure there is going to be others with the same issue's.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

well u just about put me off it new bee but i've just went and bought one of these, its only £23 so thought fek it, i want to see how this flies with something a little more solid.

i would have liked the new MH X frame but it'll probably be a wee while until i can get my hands one anyways so this will do till then

main thing i like is the metal motor mount.
craig303uk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Yea I thought maybe I wouldn't use it but there crash kit is pretty cheap and has most of those plastic pieces so I guess the spin in going in there today. Order the crash kit also cause im sure i'll need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in