Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3G FBL Radikal

Finally got my Radikal in the air today after a series of mis-starts. I purchased a Radikal 50 HD G10 in Dec. and finally maidened it in mid Jan. Didn't go so well. Not really sure what happened, but it lost all control from a 3 ft. hover and when I went to shut it off (post crash) the AR7000 and satellite receivers were blinking... obviously a power event occurred. Not really sure why, the new TP 4000 7.4v battery showed 7.76 volts when checked under a 1.5A load on my Duracell checker immediately following the crash, and subsequent testing on the TP charger showed it was good. Oh well, not the first time I've had a mishap that went unexplained, but it still sucks not knowing exactly what caused the crash.

The damage was minimal with the usual blades, boom, mainshaft, tailshaft and a few extraneous parts. So not a real expensive crash but irritating none the less. I ordered the parts plus a new battery, regulator, heavy duty switch, pretty much anything to do with power delivery even though I couldn't find anything wrong with the existing components. Since this was about the time the Align 3G was released and available in local shops, I called Bobby from RRE (I got the Radikal from RRE and can highly recommend the great service and support I got there), and asked him if he knew of anyone with the 3G on their Radikal. He said he didn't, but didn't see any reason it wouldn't work. Good enough reason to make another heli upgrade purchase I thought.

So determined not to let the maiden voyage crash get the better of me I decided to go flybarless with the 3G and make it better than new. A couple of small things I found during the install were:
1) I had the HD head so the head to mainshaft bolt (Jesus bolt) was 4mm so I either had to drill the head block for the 4mm bolt, or get the LT mainshaft and use a 3mm bolt. I drilled the headblock for 4mm, but I would imagine 3mm would have been fine too.
2) I couldn't use the Century swashplate that came with the Radikal because the plastic HI3152C Washout (A Arms) contacted the uprights on the outside of the swashplate. So I used the Align swashplate from a 600N.
3) It was difficult to find a good place to mount the Align 3G sensor. The cable that goes between the sensor and the control unit was way too short. My 3G unit came with 2 cables... a really short cable and a very short cable. Both were way too short to mount the sensor in the gyro location behind the mainshaft on top of the boom. Which is where I would have preferred to mount it. So I made a small perch bolted to the top electronics mounting plate. Works fine, minimal work involved.

Other than those 3 things it was very straight forward and easy to setup.
I've put four tanks through it so far (besides the tank of idling/hovering to start the break-in), and have done a few stationary rolls and flips and mild aerobatics as I break-in the engine and I can say I am really impressed. I can't say how the original head feels in comparison, because I never got the chance to fly it at all, but I can honestly say this flips and rolls faster and tighter than my TRex 600N which I have many cases of fuel through and always considered fast on the cyclic (the 600N is not FBL).

If you're thinking of going FBL on the Radikal, this is a very inexpensive and easy way to do it. Here's a couple of pics my friend took at the field to show the layout

John G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wIMG_4337.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	142610   Click image for larger version

Name:	wIMG_4338.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	142611   Click image for larger version

Name:	wIMG_4339.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	142612   Click image for larger version

Name:	wIMG_4340.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	142613  
jazzman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hmmm

I just got the FBL head and when I was getting it out of the box I noticed that it had delrin instead of the rubber dampeners that you normally see in a head. I was wondering if this is too hard and if you see any vibrations occur and or at the higher head speeds.

-Cody
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Cody, I don't think you would want soft dampeners with FBL. FBL uses electronic dampening and rubber dampeners would make it more difficult for the control unit to "fly" the bird. I would think rubber dampeners would mean the electronics would have to work much harder than with hard dampeners.

John G
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default yea

While I agree that soft dampeners would be a no no. I had a roxxster with the super hard dampeners on vbar. Loved it. Just wanted to make sure someone had a positive experiance before I put it on another bird.

-C
Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jazzman. That setup looks sweet Any chance of you posting a vid?
magnus83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words Magnus. Unfortunately, I've been having a rough time getting this bird in the air. Mostly my fault and bad weather slowing me down. The first hovering tank I just couldn't get the motor dialed in; it had a very inconsistent idle and hover rpm. I ordered and installed a MA air filter and the problem got worse... much worse. Turned out I should have read Bill M's post earlier and I overtightened the carb and had an airleak at the carb insulator block. Ordered an aluminum block from East R/C. Looks like a great piece and only 22.00, but not currently in stock. They expect more any day now.

Looking like this weekend is going to be great flying weather I surfaced the original block, made a gasket out of thicker material, and tighened it down per Bill's instruction. I haven't tried flying it yet, but idled it at home for 5 minutes and it purred like a kitten so I have expectations of completing breakin this weekend and maybe finding out how this thing flies.

What little flying I have done with it so far has been positive for the FBL though. No issues, but very sensitive cyclic. I will need to spend some time adjusting expo and throws as soon as I get the engine flying well. I'll keep you posted how it goes and once I get it flying I'll try to get some video.

John G
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you got the issues sortet out. I`m currently flying nitros and elektros, but i have been looking in to gassers for some time. The radikal is my heli on the list for now, and it would bee great if you keapt posting your progress. Pardon my spelling, i`m Norwegean
magnus83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL

Jazzman I have my fbl head coming from heliquest got a good price on it looking forward to putting it on my radikal. been reading some post about cutting the main shaft and lowering the head does anyone know about this or had done the mod?
laz51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, this makes me wonder if we could use those cheap 600 esp heads everyone is selling for little of nothing. I know the main shaft is the same diamater, but what about the length. I would love to put one of those heads on mine when i get it. I had the 3g sytem on one of my 700s and sold it. Wish I had known I would of saved it for when my radical gets here. If anyone knows if that head will work let me know please.
Kbdd
lukeduff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is that thing doing on one reciever battery? I ordored a thunder power 3600 prolite, I hope it will work fine
Kbdd
lukeduff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in