Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hard 3d your still in the 6-7 min range. 7 easy if you run a header tank which is what YS is recommending i believe.

Even better, the heli is getting lighter throughout the flight!
RCFanatic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here it is guys ys 120 in my 700, 7.5 minutes pulling 15 degrees on the collective, no header tank.
The noise toward the end of the video is the canopy rubbing the main gear lightly, already fixed.
Caleb Phillips TRex 700 with YS120 (8 min 10 sec)
. enjoy
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice, but I have a few questions,
1) What nitro are you running?
2) what head speed?
snake007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running rotor rage 30%, also running mod 1 cnc gear set, idle 1 set at 1850 and idle 2 set at 1950, that flight was 1950, although i can't really tell a difference, has the same power at 1850.
That flight was not quite a gallon thru it yet, still playing with tuning.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to fly the new YS 120 and it has a ton of power and very responsive. It was also made to run on 15-20% nitro rather than 30% to help reduce fuel cost. An right now you can get a case of nitro fuel from heli direct for 55 bucks SHIPPED! Cant beat that now can you? I know all these electric guys are hard up with the power of electric. But what they dont take into consideration is all the added weight of there batteries. They may have more power on the specs but how long does it last 1-2min before it dies off and before you know it they have the power of a 600... I know the new electric whiplash from minature aircraft only gets 4 min of flight time. Now that very same helcopter only nitro version gets 15min of flight time! And thats bobby watts flying it so they throttle barrel is always wide open! Now is your added power that only last 1-2 min really worth all the fuss of you guys talking crap to us nitro guys? I thought the point of this hobby was to fly? I would rather give up a little bit of power to be able to actually fly for 15 min per tank rather than sitting on my ass charging watching everyone else fly, dragging a generator to my ass everywhere I go. An as soon as you run out of fuel all you have to do is fill her back up and keep on going. So you do the math, but the new YS 120 is awesome!
hearseguy20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you referring to the Outrage fuel?
lou70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are these for sale yet? I've heard some people talking about how much they like 'em, but I haven't found anywhere online.... Well, at least the usual places I look... Amain, readyheli...experienceRC...

I'd like to get one, so I have a reason to buy a new heli...

Just can't remember what I was going to get.... Oh yeah... was considering the Aurora, since I don't have the N version yet... Just the E.

Joe_Breezy
Diablo, Shape 9.0, Goblin 700 & 380, Sylphide 90, Srimok 90N x2, Srimok 90E, Dune, Vibe 90SG, TDR, E-Aurora, Logo 600SE & 500SE, T600 ESP, T600NSP, Synergy E6 & E5, Warp 360, Gaui NX4 & X4,T500, T450 Pro FBL, 180CFX and 130x
Breezyjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not believe that they are released to the general public yet. Horizon has posted on their site "Early November". I want one bad but it is a bit on the expensive side. Horizon's price is $499.99 and then you would need a pipe. I talked to Curtis Yondblood enterprize and they are working on a YS pipe. I know there are others but I don't know who. If yo get a good pipe that cost $200 that puts the cost at $700.00. More than I want to give right now.
snake007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get them from the uk or hong kong, same motor and pipe that you will be able to get here in a few months, pick the right hobby shop and it will be a little cheaper although freight will eat up some of the savings.
Just do a search, ys 120 for sale.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I tried to start the 120 with no luck. Pretty frustrated here

I have an Align starter @ 3S. But it won't start the cold engine. So I grabbed a 4S battery, but no luck again.

The weird thing, I could start the 120 two times with a drill. I needed 20 attempts though...

Any thoughts or hints?

Thx
Markus

Mac on the move with Tapatalk
Marlex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Won't turn or won't start ? Mine was stubborn at first, needs a hot plug, needles set idle 1 turn out, mid 2 and high 2 out, even with these settings it would run but did not want to stay running very well, now at 11/8 idle and around 1.5 mid and high give or take a couple of clicks.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

It turns quite hard. The compression seems to be a tad too high. It will turn 1-2 times. My needle settings are based on the manual:

Idle: factory settings ( didn't touch it )
Mid: 2.5 turns, so very rich
High: 2.5 turns, very rich too

I'd beat the crap out of both starters.. The Align starter really got hot.

Darn!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

It takes everything my 4s starter has to turn it, plenty of compression. Probably borderline flooding, use a hot plug and move the needles in a little at a time until it will stay running, if the mid needle is very rich it can affect idle depending on how far open the carb is.
Pinch the fuel line and clear the fuel out with the starter then see how it turns with no fuel flow.
Mine is still hard for the starter to turn but with the needles set it will fire right up even when cold.
At first start of the day i will charge the fuel system with the starter until i see fuel flow into the carb then heat the glow and it will start right up.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

2.5 on the needles is way to rich, mine would not start or run at all with these start settings.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks!

I'll try 2.0 or less turns tomorrow. What do you mean with "hot plug"? I fire my plug with the Gryphon Auto booster (jumper at 6v). Depending on how many attempts, the plug is being fired quite long, so I guess the plug is hot anyways

Once the engine is running, it will stay on. It's just veeery hard to get this thing started.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

By a hot plug i mean os #3, enya #4, mccoy mc59, not an os #8, all ys engines prefer a hot heat range plug.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

YS120,Starts on the first crank everytime, OS #8 plug 3 turn top needle and 2.5 turn mid needle.

After my 5 tank running in the engine I am getting over 6 minutes of flight running slightly rich still.

The YS120 is definately a keeper.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm... Ok. Have an OS #8. I'll try another plug. If I remember right, the manual suggests an OS #7 or 8 though...

Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

You just need to find a plug and needle settings that works well where you are, good to follow the manual but sometimes you need to find settings that will work for you.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tuning

I am having trouble tuning my YS 120. Low at 1.85 turns and high at just over two turns. Seems very rich and lacks power compared to the YS 91. Turned Pitch down to 10 degrees. If I lean it out, low end hangs on pipe and adjusting the high end turns on the heat to 140 degrees Celsius.
kushla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in