Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exposure helps but I had seen helis before but my interest wasn't peaked enough to try one out. They have done rc heli demonstrations at the local fair and while many think it's cool I've never heard anyone say they want to get one after seeing it.

Was having one fall in my lap and experiencing the challenge that got me hooked. It takes a special breed to stick with helis, anyone looking for instant gratification won't last. Requires patience, decent hand eye coordination, some mechanical aptitude and some electronic/cpu abilities as well.

Most people seem to be lacking in some of those areas if not all. I do apartment maintenance and most ppl I meet during my day to day seem to be borderline to full blown retards. I don't think this hobby will ever see a massive increase in enthusiasts simply because most people aren't capable. Sad but true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree to an extent. I think the proper information with the proper exposure will help. I am not saying that exposure will make people fall in love with helis and we will experience everyone wanting to buy one (like what happened to drones) I am just saying that most people don't even see it as an option. Most people don't even know it exists.

My 8 year old started into Toys R Us $25 RC cars I am sure because he has seen daddy fly his heli. He probably thinks flying helis is too much to handle but at least he knows they exist and could probably migrate from cars to helis or consider it later in life.

And although building and maintaining a kit heli does require a certain type of individual and skills, we will not get those if they don't know about it. People go and buy drones massively now. Because they are cool, because flight is cool. But before drones everyone marveled at those mall heli demo flights and bought one. Today same thing drones are so much simpler to fly. If they pick up a heli they don't crash in the first day of ownership and start learning more about the hobby, the more probability we have that a percentage of those will grow into kit helis.

So it's just sheer numbers. The more people who know about it, the more likely we are to find those people with the traits to actually become pilots.

I got me a Blade Inductrix to fly around the house and it is fun and relaxing and seeing my 12 year old struggle with it lets me see I have advanced my skills. But I can't invert it or funnel it or tic toc it. I mean I can't do some of those things with a heli yet but I know the heli can do it while the drone can't. I believe there are people out there who will appreciate helis if they just know what they are and what they can do. Opens up the possibility for the small fraction of people who will enjoy it to actually get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Exposure helps but I had seen helis before but my interest wasn't peaked enough to try one out. They have done rc heli demonstrations at the local fair and while many think it's cool I've never heard anyone say they want to get one after seeing it.

Was having one fall in my lap and experiencing the challenge that got me hooked. It takes a special breed to stick with helis, anyone looking for instant gratification won't last. Requires patience, decent hand eye coordination, some mechanical aptitude and some electronic/cpu abilities as well.

Most people seem to be lacking in some of those areas if not all. I do apartment maintenance and most ppl I meet during my day to day seem to be borderline to full blown retards. I don't think this hobby will ever see a massive increase in enthusiasts simply because most people aren't capable. Sad but true
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELL SKY View Post
Buying used helis does little for manufacturer revenue.
Not really true. Parts cost is very high compared to a new model. Just think what just a 230s would cost if you purchased each piece separate. I have to think there is more revenue in parts than kits.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Not really true. Parts cost is very high compared to a new model. Just think what just a 230s would cost if you purchased each piece separate. I have to think there is more revenue in parts than kits.
Totally agree and think part sales are Blade's real bread and butter. They rope you in with a low purchase price but the failure rate of my Blade helis was astronomical compared to other brands. Then you start buying their overpriced parts and buy upgrades for areas that lack and you have kit heli money into something half as good.

Think Blade has cornered the "rabbit hole" market if not invented it altogether.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

If we think about most hobbies I think that price range is well within many people to consider starting it. Videogame consoles are more than that and each new game is $60 a pop. I used to play Magic the Gathering cards and boy that got expensive fast.

And again someone needs to see the 230S is not a cheap piece of plastic nor a toy but the first step on a hobby and it is thus a hobby-grade helicopter. Or at least a really nice toy helicopter that is capable or more than just flying around in circles. Or an XK K120 that is like less than $100 I think. My point is that there are options to get into the hobby. That today technology is at a point where RC heli flying is not a dark art and that because it was that our numbers are fading. Yes older people probably 40-50 make up the heaviest demographic of RC helis because they can afford it. But how many people on younger demographics do you think own a drone?

I am just saying I agree completely with helping with additional exposure of the hobby in any way I can as I am passionate about these incredible machines that are toy helicopters to some, a passionate hobby for others, and a job or source of income for yet another bunch.

Quote:
The point was the cost to entry and simply saying that "deals pop up" does not exactly fit a mfg's business model when it comes to making a profit. Buying used helis does little for manufacturer revenue. It's the new customers who you have to think about and how they perceive the price tag. You may think a 230s is worth $249 new, where another person may see a cheap piece of plastic.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started flying on 2013, I believe the same year joined helifreak. I think that the hobby is not dying, but definitely it has been going down.

In my country it is almost "dead", there are like 6 guys I know that are still flying helis constantly, sadly we never fly together... Most of the "new" guys goes directly in to rc airplanes, thereīs a big influence of airplane guys in the country. We have some drones pilots, some of them use drones for "bussiness" reasons (aerial photography, geology, etc...), others as a hobby and a very tiny part for drone racing, which is starting to develop.

Helifreak has become a big part of my day since 2013, and I donīt know if it is just me or what, but Iīve notice that there are fewer new threads, and threads donīt get that long as fast as they used to.

For sure we need more guys like Bert!
jorgeurizar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was told early on you need two things for This hobby. The money and the want. Seems pretty true. It is expensive for anyone. But even if you can overcome the expense, the challenge can push anyone right out.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started out with a Syma S-111G from our company's little store in December of 2014.
I had never seen a RC heli before, but I was hooked.
Then off to the LHS for a mCX V1.
Then a brand new DX6 Next Gen.
And it has just went on from there.

I still can't really do anything except extreme left side hovering,
but I have a lot of fun when I land safely.

Cheap? Expensive? That's a relative question.
I used to go into deep, dark mental depression about 7 times a year.
It's been over a year since I sank into the abyss.

So, in my case, heli's are way cheaper than doctors and meds.

I enjoy this hobby because it's freaking hard. Not everyone can fly these things.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.

Last edited by MariaFan; 11-14-2016 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Typo
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the idea of this promotion of the hobby but I really don't like the name. It should be something positive and not so defeated
Old 11-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

are the new professional course quad fpv racers saying they have the fastest fpv, regardless of layout, for the course. saw something on the teevee. got me thinking. you see all that bouncing around. fixed pitch
jackovart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It started with an Air Hog for me. I remember at the time my wife was like "you spent $45 bucks for that (roll eyes)?" lol.

Then I discovered Blade Helis via Google looking for helis better than airhogs...

Hovering upside down...

Then building my first actual kit from the ground up.

Oh my...

Considering the learning curve...not just flying...but all the research on electronics, setup, different vendors, different makes, where to get parts, etc... I can see why we are a relatively small, but hardcore, section of hobbyists. It requires massive dedication. But I can't believe I have 7 years involved now, it's flown by and I've found it to be really enjoyable...the only thing I still don't like is soldering. Would not miss that one bit.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_boom View Post
It started with an Air Hog for me. I remember at the time my wife was like "you spent $45 bucks for that (roll eyes)?" lol.

Then I discovered Blade Helis via Google looking for helis better than airhogs...

Hovering upside down...

Then building my first actual kit from the ground up.

Oh my...

Considering the learning curve...not just flying...but all the research on electronics, setup, different vendors, different makes, where to get parts, etc... I can see why we are a relatively small, but hardcore, section of hobbyists. It requires massive dedication. But I can't believe I have 7 years involved now, it's flown by and I've found it to be really enjoyable...the only thing I still don't like is soldering. Would not miss that one bit.
^ This.

I love the building, the custom fabrication, the programming, and yes...

Even the soldering.
(I'm a old aerospace certified soldering person)

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Ewing View Post
I like the idea of this promotion of the hobby but I really don't like the name. It should be something positive and not so defeated
Actually, very good point. Something was bugging me about the name, but didn't realize what until you mentioned it. Agree... need more positive aspect.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hated to see the Blade mSR and mCPX models discontinued, thought those were good starters for fixed and collective pitch.
DX8 GEN 1, Phoenix R/C 5.5 ,Hyperion 720i DUO w/ MW 600 PS,Trex 250 se, Trex 150X, mCPXv1, mSRX, mSR, Walkera 4G#6S , Blade SR, Trex 470LM
prairie ville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli makers need to advertise! I read the AMA Model Aviation and Park Flyer magazines, and it is very rare to see any ads for helis. I just think a lot of RC airplane flyers out there don't know that helis exist. Or at least they don't know about all the new advances like FBL and rescue that are available now.
Hexapod32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You may think a 230s is worth $249 new, where another person may see a cheap piece of plastic.
Bingo. I really have to get to work, but I can add to this later. I'm a decent sport/3D flyer and my 230S has been great. I fly the piss out of it even though I own much larger and more expensive stuff. Love that little 230S.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
And again someone needs to see the 230S is not a cheap piece of plastic nor a toy but the first step on a hobby and it is thus a hobby-grade helicopter..
While it may be "cheap plastic", it's actually a capable heli. I bought it as a basher to learn inverted flight and it's been absolutely awesome in that regard. That's all I wanted from my 230S. It's also been a great overall heli for sport flying, too. It's a great little heli.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a nice logo. Are we free to use these on t-shirts, etc.?
Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it would benefit the hobby if there were more places for people to fly without having to drive really far more so than anything else. We have tons of great helis and electronics, some of us just need it to be more convenient to go fly, especially on a busy schedule.

I know it's different everywhere but if there was a local field near me where people came after work to get a few flights in I'd probably be there every day. I think some of you actually have that convenience.

Unfortunately in more urban areas land is expensive and that's just not possible unless public parks had dedicated areas, and that's never going to happen.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:51 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Videogame consoles are more than that and each new game is $60 a pop.
And you have to pay more for DLCs to get a "complete game"
I could get a good 700 from what I spent on video game (nice 4K TV, PS4 & PS4 Pro, a PS VR, games)
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in