Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie with MX450 XS

Hello, I'm new to helicopters and decided to purchase an MX450 XS. I've gone through the forums to learn as much as I can which led me to buy hitec hs65 hb servos for the cyclic. I'm thinking of going with a futaba 401 gyro and s3154 digital servo for the rudder. As far as the motor is concerned, I've narrowed it down to a Hacker A20-6XL (2500 Kv) or a Kontronik micro dancer (2800 Kv), both outrunners. Which motor will give me decent performance and flight time? I'm also looking for a quality esc that will give me a 6V BEC. I know the align 35a esc will work but I was looking for more options. If not, I can always go with a Quark 33a V2 but that only has a 5V BEC. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
PitBullViciouz831 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best motors for either the t-rex or the MX450XS are either the Medusa motors or the JGF450th. Ive used both before and they are phenomenal. I personally preffer the JGF as it gives me better flight times and its also cheaper and stays much cooler. You can find a good test of all the motors at http://www.trextuning.com/3s-supertest.php . The cyclic servos you chose are spot on but youd be much better off with an S9650 on the tail. As for the BEC i would also not count on the ESCs internal BEC but would go for an external one like a ParkBEC 6V http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC6V.htm. they are inexpensive, 6v and more reliable than the ESCs internal BEC. Hope that helps!
Helder22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's quite a test for all those motors. Thanks for the info, you got me pointed in the right direction. The medusas and the jgf do sound sweet.
PitBullViciouz831 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have some more quick questions. Is the ccpm carbon fiber frame for the Mx400 basically the same frame (pattern) as the aluminum frame on the Mx450? What pitch are the main and pinion gears on the 450? is it the same as the T-rex (mod .5)?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

its .5 mod on mx, pit
the align pinions will work fine .5mod also

i believe the ccpm al an cf frames are the same pattern
super coop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alright, cool. Thanks for the help SC
Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, after doing further research, I'm going with a hacker a20-6xl motor, quark 33a universal v2, airtronics rd6000 radio, park 6v bec, and 4 hs65hb's (I figured since I'm running them with 6v I could use one for the tail). The esc has governor settings. What exactly does the governor do and would it be a good idea to set at least one governor speed?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The governor controls the motor speed so you don't have to mess with setting throttle curves, most governors just use a flat pitch curve that you adjust to the target head speed and the governor does its best to hold that speed all the time.
I am running 4 HS65HB's on a 5v parkBEC with minimal tail issues, I don't do hard core 3D or fly backwards fast which makes the tail/gyro work overtime, when I progress to that level I will need a good digital servo but for now the 65 works fine on the tail.
I ran a RD6000 to start but had a lot of glitch problems on the PPM receiver and have since switched to another brand and PCM for my helis.
Gizmo6035 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

so basically if i set my own throttle curves I won't need the governor? Regarding the rd6000, I was considering selling it to buy a dx7. Now that I know the rd6000 might have glitching problems I might just do that.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
so basically if i set my own throttle curves I won't need the governor?
bottom line, yes.
The governor makes set up less hassle and seems to me to make flight times a bit longer, if I were getting an ESC that had the option of governor or manual throttle curves I would use the governor option.
I am also looking at the Dx7, after getting shot down by someone switching on on my frequency I like the Spektrum idea a lot more.
Gizmo6035 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm looking for a head speed of 2700~2800 rpm. From what I've read so far, it's a good compromise between power and flight time. I'm still waiting to get a carbon fiber frame to put everything together so until then, I'll read my manuals and read up on the dx7. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in