Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

My HF Map location
Default 1 man show, self contained TX tray

I got everything functioning tonight, got my power setup sorted out, finished my layout, and here is what I got.....

I used the full gimbal from my other controller becasue of the flexability, I can use the trim to move and keep a steady movement or I can use the stick to direct poistion. Under the radio when the radio is on the tray is my "take a picture" switch it is perfectly positioned so I dont need to move my fingers off the controls and it is very comfortable. The LED board you see at the top is a volt watch to moinitor my lipo which runs the controller, wireless RX, and LCD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1man2.jpg (269.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1man1.jpg (156.3 KB, 319 views)
Gaui 200
Trex 450 SE V2 Dedicated night Rig
Cryofix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job there Cryofix,, Looks really fuctionable.... Good luck.. XGM
Xcellgasman101 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Custom..
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I like to refer to it as rugged I got a few more tweaks on it and then it moves over to some nice G-10, I am also going to raise the control stick even more to make the transition from primary TX Cyclic control over to secondary TX mount controls a smoother transition, right now it is very comfortable and extremely easy to remove your hand with out worry to get to the mount stick.

With the AP2000i, and the ergonomic layout, and ease of use this setup should make taking solo shots a snap *wink*
Gaui 200
Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with a tray from RC Trayman USA and just used my Optic 6 as my temporary solution. It's not optimum, but it seems to work just fine. I have the tilt programmed to the left stick throttle/pitch channel on the Optic 6 and I use the two switches above it for turning on the pan function and for the camera trigger. Without taking my thumb and forefinger off the right stick, on the DX7, I can adjust the tilt with the right side of my palm and the two switches with my "pinkie' finger. This will do for now, but eventually I'd like something simpler, I think.

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats a trick setup!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can imagine Gary flying this thing with 4 arms sprouting out of his back. You must be part octopus!

I have enough trouble trying to tilt and fire mine from a single transmitter.......
Maxi Joker 2 with Carvec
Maxi Joker 2 with AP2000
Logo 10 Stretched
MLaBoyteaux is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gary, that is awesome!

That looks hilarious! I would love to see a pict of it in action. Next time you're up, 180 piro and snap a shot of yourself.

I am going to pick up a 4 ch Tx used for like $20-$30 and try something like this.

This is for my solo pano setup which besides from setting the tilt I need, should be a one button operation.

http://scotthaefner.com/kap/equipment/?page=transmitter

Strap it on like a fanny pack, should be low profile and then I can just reach down and flip the magic pano switch.
dreslism is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try and get some shots of this in action next time.

Actually, it isn't so bad. There's really not a lot to do, with the PanCam setup. I get it stable in a hover, cal the AP-2000i and engage it, make sure the tilt angle is about where I want it, which I can do just with my right palm, without letting go of the cyclic stick on the DX7, and then hit both the pan switch and the shutter button with my "pinkie", again without taking my thumb and forefinger off the cyclic stick. It is easier than having to let go and find the switches on a single Tx setup.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you do if you have an itch?

I think you should just mount your camera mount controls to your feet. :glasses2:
Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor
...I think you should just mount your camera mount controls to your feet. :glasses2:
Well, I guess that won't work for you guys that live in places where the temps dip below the 70s, but that might just work out here!

www.tppacks.com
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Well, I guess that won't work for you guys that live in places where the temps dip below the 70s, but that might just work out here!
Low blow... Low blow.... Watch the below the belt jabs! :wink:
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep the new "Gary guru flip flop all in one mount".
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

<heh, heh, heh... sorry, couldn't resist, it's a nice 71 degrees here right now, with another cloudless sky... :mrgreen: >

I think the ultimate solution is probably a repackaging job, of some sort, although I'm not sure a "fanny pack" is any more practical than Scott's suggested flip-flop/toe jam special. Something along the lines of the G10 version of what Ed is doing, but maybe with the controls a little closer. I like not having to let go of the cyclic stick, even with a good cal on the AP-2000i. My piloting skills are still only sucky, at best.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 12-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

i would have went that route gary but that thing cost 250+ My unit cost me some brain power, had all the hardware for the most poart in my garage.

I do agree with you I do not want to have to let got of cyclic however if I do the same thing I do while driving, I look to the right and tend to steer to the right, or look left and steer left, I would hate to look down at my LCD for the shot and accidently push forward, all to see my heli in a nose dive toward my target hehe

That is a nice setup though
Gaui 200
Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where's the insect repellant switch? LOL Down under, flies are the problem, and I reckon having an AP2000i just to cope with the flies makes sense

BTW, while talking about using other parts of the body for camera controls... no I won't go there

BTW, I know which forum all the jerks are on, and it ain't here
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

so, we need custom tray with radio, and some form of command station for AP . I know the helmet setup with antenna and video glass is done too. I wonder if you can use voice command to activate things. hmm.
askman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by askman
so, we need custom tray with radio, and some form of command station for AP . I know the helmet setup with antenna and video glass is done too. I wonder if you can use voice command to activate things. hmm.
Personally I doubt I will use the radio tray as I am not a pinch flyer. Now the voice command to activate things is a good idea. I think I'll start off with a clapper. :mrgreen:

Then I can just cough and activate my panos...
Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

actually, best place for control would be where the fingers are. bottom of the transmitter near the side edge for thumb flyers, off ot the side for pinch flyers on a tray. you can easily add 4 to 8 channel worth of control that way. all these requires moving some of the controls.
hmm, how many channel do we really need? with pan cam, 3 is enough. pan/tilt and shoot. also, for pan, you need left/right and center. same with tilt. 3 position is enough. so 2-3way switch and push button. I would go with 3 adjustable pot for each 3 way switch position, so you can adjust the endpoint and trim the center. ( I guess I need to measure the pot in the typical radio gimbal and come up with 3 value range, so that you have 2 end and center adjustment) I would just use trimmer pot. I am thinking this should be pretty straight forward.

so, what is the best cheap radio for hacking up? I think I can squeeze a radio into my spacebox tray. drilling 3 holes for a switch won't be too bad. ok 4 with antenna.
askman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Andrey, wot no zoom, aperture and shutter speed? (Thank goodness I am only joking! )
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in