Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well one thing I mentioned was expo, perhaps he was feeling the difference from radio to radio. I dropped my expo settings from 20 to 10. Going to feel different even with same settings on each radio
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

My opinion about latency..... Milliseconds are itty bitty teenie weenie fractions of time that are very unlikely sensed or controlled by a much slower-reacting human. Other than that...you are overthinking an issue that really does not apply to 99.9 percent of the R/C heli pilot community.
If you want the radio that the paid guy has so you FEEL like you can fly like him, buy one.

Last edited by Gonzo_; 08-05-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Splelling
Gonzo_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
I just re-read the article about this radio in rcheli magazine and they did such a blind test. 2 600N's w/ the same equipment and a pro pilot was handed the A9. He liked the Tx but said it felt a bit slow in some of the stick-banging maneuvers. He didn't know about the latency issues before flying the radio.
Who setup the radio? did someonme just copy settings from another radio for use on the A9? Was he given a chance to adjust the setting on the radio? stick tension, expo, ..etc or simply copied from one radio to another? A perfect setup on one manufactures radio does not necessary translate to other brands.

The A9 does appear to have slightly more stick travel compared to say dx7 or 8fg. This can be compensated for my adjusting pitch curves to peak earlier than 100% stick travel i.e 80% stick = 100% pitch. This also increase the response across the pitch range as the gradient is increase (steeper)..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffect View Post
Who setup the radio? did someonme just copy settings from another radio for use on the A9? Was he given a chance to adjust the setting on the radio? stick tension, expo, ..etc or simply copied from one radio to another? A perfect setup on one manufactures radio does not necessary translate to other brands.

The A9 does appear to have slightly more stick travel compared to say dx7 or 8fg. This can be compensated for my adjusting pitch curves to peak earlier than 100% stick travel i.e 80% stick = 100% pitch. This also increase the response across the pitch range as the gradient is increase (steeper)..

+1
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah the constant wondering and researching and turmoil is over. I ordered one!
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Order one or stay with what I have,Hmmmm,decisions,decisions.
ICed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default swash mix adjustment question

I finally figured out why I don't have enough travel on collective (for pitch). The Swash Mix function defaults to 60 %(?) (I don't think I changed this) which is a measure of travel. Dial it up to 80,90,100 and I now have quite a bit more. One problem though I really don't need as much positive collective. Is there a way to adjust this outside of the swash mix? I can't remember if EPA is a servo level function or an eCCPM level function.

Along with the realization above I also realized that this same 60% is also limiting my roll rate (aileron on the swash mix screen).

What swash mix %s are people using on their helis?

Thanks
JoeR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I finally figured out why I don't have enough travel on collective (for pitch). The Swash Mix function defaults to 60 %(?) (I don't think I changed this) which is a measure of travel. Dial it up to 80,90,100 and I now have quite a bit more. One problem though I really don't need as much positive collective. Is there a way to adjust this outside of the swash mix? I can't remember if EPA is a servo level function or an eCCPM level function.

Along with the realization above I also realized that this same 60% is also limiting my roll rate (aileron on the swash mix screen).

What swash mix %s are people using on their helis?

Thanks

EPA would give you more throw if you needed it. Just make sure you change it for all three servos. However, most helis don't usually need any extra throw if you are setup mechanically correct (ball links in the correct hole).

If you need less positive collective but the same amount of neg. collective, you would adjust that in the pitch curve. If you want less collective movement both ways then just decrease the pitch % in the swash mix.

My typical swash mix % are in the 40's for aileron/elevator and 40-60 for pitch.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoats View Post
My typical swash mix % are in the 40's for aileron/elevator and 40-60 for pitch.

Thanks for the help. Do you use longer than recommended servo arms? I can't imagine getting enough through at 40. Perhaps I'm thinking of this wrong? better to use longer servo arms or EPA than swash mix?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Thanks for the help. Do you use longer than recommended servo arms? I can't imagine getting enough through at 40. Perhaps I'm thinking of this wrong? better to use longer servo arms or EPA than swash mix?
I have used the recommended servo arm lengths for my Blade 400, trex 450 clone, and various versions of the Hurricane 550. None had any problems but it always differs from heli to heli depending on the type of head and all the various flybar/mixer ratios. I would set the swash mixes to 50% then measure what kind of collective and cyclic pitch you get. I was surprised how little the Hurricane's swash needed to move to get the correct collective/cyclic pitch....i think I was using like 25% ail/elev and 40% pitch.

I think the main issue (and I haven't tested this) is that if you were using 70+% on everything then on high collective maneuvers you would lose a lot of aileron/elevator throw. So work the EPA until you get the swash mixes in the 40-60% range.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #213 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Alright.... So here is the deal. I am so sorry I could not get some vids done on this radio before IRCHA. BUT I will be bringing this radio to IRCH with several RX's.

So ANY and I mean ANYONE that wants to try out this radio at ITCHA, come look me up. I will not only help you get everything setup but make sure it is right!

I was hoping before now to have many more vids out but because I have not (due to life) I will let ANYONE try out the radio.

DEAL? Come to IRCHA and see....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW thats cool Finless. I wish I could get off work to go to IRCHA. I would like to get my hands on the A9 to see how it feels compared to my 9303. I really want one but I just don't like the antenna wire being exposed on the outside. So far that is my only complaint.
dfrazier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
I really want one but I just don't like the antenna wire being exposed on the outside. So far that is my only complaint.
Believe me, that wire is really heavy duty. I attempted to put mine inside the tx but was unsuccessful. I had to destroy the antenna wire to get everything back a part and that's when I found out how tough it really is.
plane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the vids.I now know I wont be buying one of these radios.
sawdust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Always some NEW TOY that I'm gonna want!!

I cuurently have a JR X9303 and am relatively happy with it out of all the radios I used with planks. Was a bit upset when the X9503 came out with the backlit display which would really help me since I have keratoconis (eye condition of the cornia). NOW the Aurora 9 seems to be the choice...I LOVE the flashability of the whole darn system which adds functionality and new features without having to buy a NEW model. I think the features and versatility makes this radio a BEST BET when it comes to an upgrade from the X9303/9503. Can't see why anyone might not like it... Personal preference I know!! The videos are a GREAT help...ANYONE NEED A HARDLY USED X9303/R921 Rx??? haha
Trex 600NSP -TT Redline 53 / CY MP5 / 3x HS-7940THs @ HV/ HS-5065MG throttle / HS-65MG on Carbsmart / BLS251 Tail/ SG ReactorX2 Regulator / Mikado V-Bar Blueline 5 Pro / Switchglo Pro / JR X9303 / CYE Radix FBL 600 Mains / CYE 95mm Tail
gabe_es is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

More blah blah blah blah.
How cool is this? I have had the Aurora 9 for about a week now. Been using it pretty much everyday.
I monitor my main pack voltage in my 450 Pro (4S) and my Knight 600E (8S).
I was running 325 Align blades on the 450 Pro and went back to Rotor Tech 350's cause I fixed my stretched boom last night.
I didn't change my throttle curve or try and figure out my flight time.
Longer blades pull more MAH so I knew my flight time would be shorter.

I just flew untill I got my voltage alarm. Amazing. I set my voltage alarm on the Pro at 14.2 (3.55 volts per cell). As soon as I hit a couple of beeps doing a hard collective maneuver I come in and land. Pack is resting at 3.75 per cell.

But I do have to say getting the right voltage alarm level on the Knight 600E is alot trickier. If I set it up like I did the Pro I get beeps not matter how careful my collective management is. And I have two different types of lipo's so they hold their voltage differently under load. But I'm close to getting it right. I'm setting the voltage alarm at 27.4 now which is (3.425 volts per cell)
and if I get a beep or two on a hard punch out I come in and land.

I'm using the castle 85HV GOV mode on the Knight and a ICE LITE 50 using throttle curves on the Pro. So maybe that is why it is harder to get the voltage alarm on the money with the Knight. Also the logs in the Castle ICE really help figure out the voltage alarm.

On the negative my flight mode switch which is on the left is a real pita to use. I have really big hands.
But it is so cool to be able to have two different gyro gains per flight mode. That is a huge help.
maarset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok i prefur the dx7/dx8!!!!!!!!!!! just saying.......now if i could have won the aurora 9 on facebook. the lil contest thing they where doing then may maybe, but if i gotta buy one it gonna be the dx7/dx8.......
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

Epoweredrcgirl09,

Seeing as you have taken the time to post your preference for the Dx7/dx8 in a Hitec A9 thread I was wondering if you could expand on why you prefer the Dx7/dx8?

What features of the dx7 and dx8 do you prefer over the A9 or any other radio currently on the market?

It is a case of you wanting to stick with Spectrum as you currently use and own a dx7?
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in