Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
closed

Default futaba 8J signal reach

hey guys,
can someone tell me what is the signal reach of 8J? i heard it is half the reach of 8FG, but i simply have no idea if this information is true.
also, what are the features it does not have and i may miss if i want to fly helis with it?
thanks.
hilarious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i heard it is half the reach of 8FG, but i simply have no idea if this information is true.
This sounds a little suspicious at the least.

I have always found that a little research should help with a decision between two different type systems ;

8J info ;
http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk8100-8j/index.html

S-FHSS info ;
http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fhss.html

The 8FG (or 8FG Super) utilizes FASST so,
FASST info ;
http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fasst.html

I do know that the 8FG (8FG Super) is quite-small when you are actually holding it and that the 8J is a bit-bigger.
I have read of guys that didn't like the 8FG because of this but it is a great TX. with it's FASST protocol which gives you a very "connected-feel".

It's also a good idea to try to get both TX.' in your hands if possible (prior-to purchase).
I have always believed that the one that feels "best" while in your hands will give you the most confidence.

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
closed
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hi,
thanks a lot.
i actually own an 8fg and a 7c, and i consider them exceptional radios. their fasst signal is extremely reliable. 8fg is actually quite small and you may not fall in love with it at 1rst, but you will if you keep it. it is also 100% configurable and is, indeed, a 14 channel radio.
7c is just perfect for me. i like the grip, size and weight. it is very simple, but gives me just all i need.
i've been watching 8j for a while because of the its low cost and cheap receivers. i was wondering why such a good radio at such low price. after a brief research, i read a post that said its reach wasn't that big, but i just fly helicopters and never fly further than 200 meters away. the problem with things we read on the web is that they are worthless unless the reader can validate the information.
futaba ad won't say a word about that and, so, i've placed a question to their support staff.
thanks a lot again.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

No-problem, glad to see that you are willing to do a little research first.

Jeti and VControl are pretty-much the same as far as latency is concerned (both bind or link at 20ms when using vbar) and I believe that the VControl is utilizing 4096 resolution like the Jeti (or is it ?)

I have never really spent a lot-of time getting any-of my vbar's dialed-in but the VControl is amazing when it comes to tuning your vbar-equip Heli and it also has Telemetry options as well.

I know this is also possible with the Jeti, but other components need replacing as well (esc / rx.') OR,
I believe it is also possible to use Jlog with your Futaba (or Jeti (if using non-Jeti esc)) for Telemetry purposes.

Last edited by HilliHeli; 07-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you already have the 7C and 8FG any reason you want the 8J?
The 8J is not going to give you anything more than you already have, except S-FHSS and a new programming headache.
A friend got the 10J and I tried to help him setup, we got it done but what a pain to setup.

Toocool4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocool4 View Post
If you already have the 7C and 8FG any reason you want the 8J?
The 8J is not going to give you anything more than you already have, except S-FHSS and a new programming headache.
A friend got the 10J and I tried to help him setup, we got it done but what a pain to setup.
actually my 8fg is getting old and i'm pondering which radio to buy.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
futaba ad won't say a word about that and, so, i've placed a question to their support staff.
The only way that I see signal-distance being a problem (with any-of the different protocols) is if you are using a RX. that is specified-as "for use with park-flyer type applications".

I know that the FASST version-of the R6106 is like this, offered in (2) different types ;
R6106HF (Park-flyer) and,
R6106HFC (which has the longer antenna-lead).

Still,
It would be nice to hear what Support has to say : )

Old 07-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarious View Post
actually my 8fg is getting old and i'm pondering which radio to buy.
Okay I see. From the 8FG, I would look at 14SG.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
closed

hi,

my question is because of my personal interest on the inexpensive fhss, and also because i read somewhere a guy saying that fhss is half the range of fasst. there is a lot of trash on the web and some people like to invent things just for the pleasure of saying something that isn't true.

futaba has just answered my inquiry and that's what they said: We do not like to give radio range in any type of measurement as it is not something that we cannot accurately answer, due to many variables. But a good approximation is, airplane radios range will be as far as the flier can see, surface radios approximately 500feet. This is true whether the transmitter and receiver are 72Mhz, 50Mhz, 2.4GHz FASST or 2.4GHZ FHSS. 2.4Ghz has no loss of range and is in fact less prone to interference than 72Mhz, which will assure you of better connectivity to your aircraft.

of course they wouldn't say something that would compromise their product, but i think the answer is clear: "as far as the flier can see", what is good enough for me.

they also confirmed something you've just stated: As a last note; Radio range is determined by the receiver not the transmitter used. If you are using a receiver which is listed as a "Park Flyer" your range will be significantly reduced.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
closed

besides, i used to fly spektrum dsm2 in the past. i loved their TX menus, but had 2 brownouts that made me unconfident about the brand at that moment. that's why i migrated to futaba, that has a superior signal technology imo. on the other hand, i find the futaba menus very difficult to deal with and wished they offered more user friendly interfaces in the future.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarious View Post
hi,

my question is because of my personal interest on the inexpensive fhss,
[/B][/I]
Okay I see, I was recommending the 14SG partly because it’s the same programming as the 8FG more or less. Plus you can just remove the SD card from 8FG and place it in the 14SG and copy your models over, for a quick transfer.
With the 8J you will have to do them all again.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocool4 View Post
Okay I see, I was recommending the 14SG partly because it’s the same programming as the 8FG more or less. Plus you can just remove the SD card from 8FG and place it in the 14SG and copy your models over, for a quick transfer.
With the 8J you will have to do them all again.
another advantage to the 14sg is it is compatable with the either receiver FASST and FHSS
Trex150,MCPX,2Trex450s,Trex500flybar, Dominator 550L Ikon FBL,Goblin380,2Goblin 500s Ikon,Goblin 570Carbon Ikon,Goblin 630Ikon,Goblin700Ikon,Futaba14SG,Futaba 8J,DX7S,308 duo,208B,IChargers,BalsaUSA40 Pheaton Biplane,40"Ugly Stick,Blackfoot truck
97windsor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in