Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting a warp as first Heli

Hi all I'm looking at getting a warp used from a fellow Aussie and it looks like it's been sitting for awhile going off the pics, the screws/bolts are showing signs of rust and the Heli looks like it needs a really good freshen up so I was wondering this being my first Heli what types of things should I be replacing i.e. Bearings, shafts, belts and anything else? I'm going to put an order in for everything and I'd like to stock up on spare parts at the same time so any suggestions on what I should have spares of? It's definately going to be acquainted with the ground in anger at some point so I want to be prepared and have all the necessities and vulnerable bits on hand so I'm not waiting on orders/parts and having long periods of down time.
Any advise, suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Fizzy
Fizzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was my first kit. It can be a bit of a pain due to the compact nature of the frame.

I would check all the bearings and pretty much automatically change the grip and tail shaft bearings. The belts should be fine unless you see cracking or visible damage. Screws can be a bit rusty it won't hurt anything.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Order spare canopy mounts, head hubs, tail hubs, and tail shafts. These parts aren't always in stock.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
Hi all I'm looking at getting a warp used from a fellow Aussie and it looks like it's been sitting for awhile going off the pics, the screws/bolts are showing signs of rust and the Heli looks like it needs a really good freshen up so I was wondering this being my first Heli what types of things should I be replacing i.e. Bearings, shafts, belts and anything else? I'm going to put an order in for everything and I'd like to stock up on spare parts at the same time so any suggestions on what I should have spares of? It's definately going to be acquainted with the ground in anger at some point so I want to be prepared and have all the necessities and vulnerable bits on hand so I'm not waiting on orders/parts and having long periods of down time.
Any advise, suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Fizzy
What do you mean exactly with the Warp "being your first heli"?

What flying experience you have?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, I went ahead and made the deal so the Heli should be here early next week. Can't wait to get my hands on it and go over it, it still has the original noisy motor installed as the owner never bothered changing over to the replacement can but its included anyway. I am thinking of upgrading to the scorp motor. It currently has a castle edge lite 50 and I was also thinking of changing over to a HW platinum 50amp and use the internal Bec so I'm running less wires, I'm just not sure the HW bec will be ok running the mks servos, I've been told they can be a bit power hungry
Old 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
What do you mean exactly with the Warp "being your first heli"?

What flying experience you have?

I've been flying a nano qx for a few months and can handle that on agility mode no worries and have been following from tail in to funnels in 6mths too for about 2-3months.
It's time to move up I think.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
I've been flying a nano qx for a few months and can handle that on agility mode no worries and have been following from tail in to funnels in 6mths too for about 2-3 months.
It's time to move up I think.
Good then.
You also sound pretty much knowledged about everything, so... good luck!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Good then.
You also sound pretty much knowledged about everything, so... good luck!
Thanks for the complement but NO,I'm actually very nervous about this
I have built and setup quite a few rc cars but Heli's really are a different playing field and in a league of their own in so many ways. I have no experience other than what I've read so far on setting one up. I am going to strip the whole thing down and rebuild it all fresh so I have a better knowledge/understanding of it, but I'm nervous about setting up the fbl unit and all the other bits and pieces of correct setup. I'm sure once I get into it I will work through it all no problems but I'm still nervous. Is it weird that i actually am nervous about it? I haven't had a chance to join a local club yet either cause I'm just too busy so it's pretty much all the guys on helifreak and a local Heli forum that I'll be turning to for advise/help.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fizzy,

First of all, Welcome!

You are getting an excellent machine, sir.

"It currently has a castle edge lite 50 and I was also thinking of changing over to a HW platinum 50amp and use the internal Bec so I'm running less wires, I'm just not sure the HW bec will be ok running the mks servos, I've been told they can be a bit power hungry"

Does it have an external BEC on it now? The BEC in the Castle ESC is, if memory serves, capable of 5 amps on 3S, but the available current drops as the number of cells increases (you will be running 6S). I would think that you would want a minimum of 5 amps available (I have not run the MKS servos, so I do not know how much current they draw). I used to run the small, blue Castle BEC's on mine (which put out five amps on 6s, but have upgraded to the Hercules Super Mini BEC G2 which will put out 10 amps on 6S. As far as the ESC's go, the Castle Ice 50's work great in the Warp. I have used quite a few HobbyWings, and they are great too (not a necessary upgrade).

As far as the machine goes, unless you know the seller personally and have seen it fly, I would take it apart (or at least take the screws out, one at a time, clean them and the hole they thread into, add threadlock, and re-install them. The bearings should be lubed (they are shielded, not sealed, so this can be done with a needle oiler). If the tail case is the original version with CF side plates, epoxy the bearings (assuming they are good) into the side plates with JB Weld. Upgrading to the aluminum side plates is a very good idea (much stronger). The tail slider and swashplate ball should be lubed with TriFlow liquid, every few flights (and kept very clean).

The belts should be run as loose as possible without skipping (they will last a very long time if you do this). The belts should be coated inside and out with silicone spray (for anti-static and lubrication purposes).

There have been several upgrades to the Warp since it came out (I think the most recent kits are third generation): The aluminum tail gearbox side plates (mentioned above), the tail boom (slightly thicker material (for durability) and slightly shorter in length (for greater latitude with adjustment), a 19 tooth tail pinion (which slows the tail down-relative to the head (one can run higher gyro gain before encountering tail wag, which helps tail hold in maneuvers), the motor can (which you are aware of), and beefier tail blade grips.

There are a few other upgrades that I cannot think of, off the top of my head, but I think others will chime in (hopefully).

At this point, you don't need to upgrade to the Scorpion motor-the stock motor has more than enough power for you to do 3D with the machine (I would change the can). You can always go to the Scorpion if/when you want to (the makes nice motors). I still fly the stock motors on both of my Warps.

Video of old geezer flying a stock Warp:

Compass Warp 360, JR XG14 Transmitter, Robird 360 FBL Unit, KBDD Main and Tail Blades (4 min 50 sec)

There are quite a few of us here on the forums who will be very happy to help you, so please as questions (as much as you like).
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing and nice flying . Thanks for the advise it has all been taken on board, I will definatley be taking it all apart and going through it all. I have made a list of all the bearings so far and will more than likely put an order in once I've had a chance to have a look over it all. It does have an external Bec currently so if that is all up to scratch I will prob take your advise and just run with the castle esc and ext Bec, about the motor I am hoping it is in good shape but I'm not sure cause like I said the seller did let me know he hasn't been flying it and the motor was making a bit of a scorched cat sound on spool up but then it settled as far as I know the new can should fix this I'm just not sure of the condition of the bearings and such of the motor but we shall soon see. I will update this thread as I go and keep anyone interested filled in and prob ask a few questions along the way
Regards
Fizzy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in