Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GPro Tail Gain Question

I've got a new 450L with GPro and I've got a question on the "RUD Gyro Gain" in the parameters settings. The question is: What does it do?

In the Setup settings I've got the GER (Tail Gain) in lock step with the gyro gain in the radio (Futaba 10CHG). that is a gain of 70 will read 70 in the GER (Tail Gain) screen.

Now in the Parameters settings the "Rud Gyro Gain" setting goes from 40 to 120 with a default of 80. The little pop up help thing says if you "FIX" the setting the gain is set from the radio.

What does FIX the setting mean?? What does this setting do? The manual says nothing.

PS - I've got the tail bounce back issue with right rudder, but no wagging.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail bounce back issue from my experience, is caused by the mechanical linkage centering of your rudder setup. Easiest way to find optimal center rudder is to hover heli in rudder gyro rate mode instead of heading hold. Adjust tail pushrod length to get heli to hover relatively tail drift free (in rate mode). Followed by going back into the Gpro setup menu and resetting your rudder travel limits to prevent binding. Once this is accomplished switching back to normal Heading Hold and you should be in business.

Normally you should have several degrees of right pitch in tail blades at center. I have also found some fine tuning of rudder can be done with the Rudder Neutral Position in setup menu of Gpro, but it is best to get mechanical setup correct first.

In my experience with the Gpro, once mechanically setup correct, using default Gpro tail settings seem to work well. I found that I have to run fairly high gain level shown on transmitter gyro menu, anywhere from 75-90%, while using default Gpro settings.

Hope this helps. I have cured rudder bounce back on several helis by doing this on the 3GX and the Gpro systems.

Mark
Old 10-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For whatever reason some have found a slight twitch on application of slow right rudder during flight, more pronounced when rudder travel limit values in setup are over 100. Seems more prevalent with Spektrum systems. Only thing I can notice when trying to duplicate, is a quick momentary pause when doing a slow right pirouette. Other than that, the Gpro in my opinion works great.

I am using a Futaba 10CHG as well and SBUS receiver on board. SBUS works perfectly on the Gpro and really cleans up some of the wiring.

Mark
Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyersd View Post
The tail bounce back issue from my experience, is caused by the mechanical linkage centering of your rudder setup. Easiest way to find optimal center rudder is to hover heli in rudder gyro rate mode instead of heading hold. Adjust tail pushrod length to get heli to hover relatively tail drift free (in rate mode). Followed by going back into the Gpro setup menu and resetting your rudder travel limits to prevent binding. Once this is accomplished switching back to normal Heading Hold and you should be in business.

Normally you should have several degrees of right pitch in tail blades at center. I have also found some fine tuning of rudder can be done with the Rudder Neutral Position in setup menu of Gpro, but it is best to get mechanical setup correct first.

In my experience with the Gpro, once mechanically setup correct, using default Gpro tail settings seem to work well. I found that I have to run fairly high gain level shown on transmitter gyro menu, anywhere from 75-90%, while using default Gpro settings.

Hope this helps. I have cured rudder bounce back on several helis by doing this on the 3GX and the Gpro systems.

Mark
Mark,

Spot on! I did as you suggested and problem solved! I'm running with 75 AVCS on the tail and it feels great.

Thanks for your help, Rob
Old 10-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobO View Post
Mark,

Spot on! I did as you suggested and problem solved! I'm running with 75 AVCS on the tail and it feels great.

Thanks for your help, Rob
EXCELLENT! Glad it worked out for you.

Mark
Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i borrow this thread. my tail on 550L is solid in flight etc, but, when i pitchpump the tail blows out, but only then. can that issue be sorted with this method aswell?

however, my 450L does not blow out.. both are using gpro, and tail setup is thesame. 0 degress in midstick, not the way used above.

450L is ok all the way. 550L blows out in pitchpump.. suggestions?

maybe just some precomp issue...
Arvidsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hover in rate mode. Adjust rudder linkage till the heli will hover without wanting to yaw nose left or right. Recheck travel limits after making adjustments.

Then back in HH mode, adjust precomp if needed and finally the left and right stops.

Making the world better, one helicopter at a time. Team Heliproz
dksia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wanting to check one thing
Can you please confirm your tail gain values are based on default 80% in parameter settings and gyro gain values as seton TX?

It would follow then that 100% in parameter would require lower again TX gyro gain values.
Is this correct?

Last edited by nabl74; 06-09-2015 at 03:43 AM..
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabl74 View Post
Just wanting to check one thing
Can you please confirm your tail gain values are based on default 80% in parameter settings and gyro gain values as seton TX?

It would follow then that 100% in parameter would require lower again TX gyro gain values.
Is this correct?
hi nabl74

well here i am again hehe. my tail binding issue was sorted out from your help .

i am loving the 450l heli best 450 size investment till date infarct i like it more than trex 550 6s because i feel 550 e needs more powerfull motor to do extreme maneuvers where as 450l does it easily.

my 450l tail gain on the tx is set to two settings 76% and 80% (using GPRO fbl ). at 80% tail feels more solid to pitch changes but if its windy then i choose the lower gain value as tail starts to wag at high %

just one question pls.
my tail is well settled for now, but when ever i try to do tic tocs then tail shakes and i cannot continue doing so. is it a precomp gain issue. do i need to change some settings on my gpro software??

thankyou!
Mahmood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood View Post
hi nabl74

well here i am again hehe. my tail binding issue was sorted out from your help .

i am loving the 450l heli best 450 size investment till date infarct i like it more than trex 550 6s because i feel 550 e needs more powerfull motor to do extreme maneuvers where as 450l does it easily.

my 450l tail gain on the tx is set to two settings 76% and 80% (using GPRO fbl ). at 80% tail feels more solid to pitch changes but if its windy then i choose the lower gain value as tail starts to wag at high %

just one question pls.
my tail is well settled for now, but when ever i try to do tic tocs then tail shakes and i cannot continue doing so. is it a precomp gain issue. do i need to change some settings on my gpro software??

thankyou!
Sounds like your overall gain is a tad high. Try to drop your overall gain 5 points and see if it stops the tail wag after hard manouvres like tic tocs.

If so then gradually add one point at a time until you get the wags again. From that set your max wag free overall gain.

Precomp settings shouldnt induce tail wag.

I have always used inverted funnels at speed as a good tail holding test for i gain after setting overall gain.

Even though you may not get tail wag during normal flight, more extreme flying will reveal if gains are okay.

You could also try max collective speed passes to check your overall gains

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
Synergy E7se - MSH Brain / CC Edge 120HV
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabl74 View Post
Sounds like your overall gain is a tad high. Try to drop your overall gain 5 points and see if it stops the tail wag after hard manouvres like tic tocs.

If so then gradually add one point at a time until you get the wags again. From that set your max wag free overall gain.

Precomp settings shouldnt induce tail wag.

I have always used inverted funnels at speed as a good tail holding test for i gain after setting overall gain.

Even though you may not get tail wag during normal flight, more extreme flying will reveal if gains are okay.

You could also try max collective speed passes to check your overall gains

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
thanks nabl

so you are saying that i should only adjust my tx gain first.

well i know that at high 90% HS tail feels relatively more solid than at 75% HS.
but if i drop the gain lets say from 80 to 75 and then from 75 to 70 then i feel a significant difference in tail hold and tail blows out during pitch pumps. at 80% tx gain tail feels very solid.

by the max collective positive or negative also feels alright at 80% gain , how ever when its windy then i have to reduce it to 75% ./.....
Mahmood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in