Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default X50 is ONE TUFFA$$ heli

We were flying yesterday at an alternative site until our club site dries out. Was flying mostly circuits since I am breaking in a new YS 60sr. Was going great, tuning needles, and just flying around. Your basic good time on a day off...

When all of a sudden...BANG!

I crashed into a lamp post! A BIG one! We were standing near one, and I was coming in for the landing, talking to my friend...just foregoing my concentration...and I hit it. It hit the ground and I was in total SHOCK! Obviously, I had begun to tune out the lamp posts. I never saw it hit...which means I had my eyes off the machine, while talking...

BONE HEAD!

Here's the silver lining...blades, skids, main grip levers/links, and road rash to the Hatori. THAT"S IT! Obviously, I was way luckier than I deserved to be. We just looked at each other...did that just happen? LOL.

X50: One tuff mutha!
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've bent a head block twice. It's not easy to see that it's bent. Something to consider if you have any post rebuild wobbles.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I ordered the shafts anyway. I have a dial indicator I can use to check with as well. Still, even if they were bent, I was astonished how little damage.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you are enjoying it!
I have crashed mine a few times getting to low and am always amazed how tough it is.
skytrekin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did a backwards roll into a tree. Bent the flybar broke the skids and lower frame
Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No apparent post crash artifacts so far. Just engine tuning at this point. So far, I am very pleased with the model. Pretty easy to work on. Engine drops out easily too.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I discovered some damage last night while I was putting the finishing touches on installing another engine. From this crash a month ago, I apparently had a bent swash plate. I discovered it when I threw a swash leveler on to recheck level through travel. I could figure out why the swash leveler was so far from three point contact, when the swash was level by eyeball. It was flying great, but the right side ball was probably 1.5mm out of whack. I straightened it, and reinstalled it and it was fine again. I can't recall reveling the swash, but I must have when I repaired it. Obviously, I had not used the tool at that point.

Only thing that has been perplexing, is the fan hub. With thread lock on the retainer nut, the whole assembly has backed off a couple of times now. When it does this, it tries to spread the frames apart vertically binding everything. I took it back apart and loctited everything back together and flew it. Was fine again. I think what might cause it is if the engine gets hydrolocked, the starter can "break" it free. This had just happened, so I am pretty sure it was the cause. I wish they had the pinch bolt design like some others, such as Align, as I think it has a better grip. What sux, is if it hydrolocks, it's bound to happen, and the engine has to come out. I will have to be more careful when starting...maybe leave the Dynatron aside for this engine and use the Align starter. Or maybe, I will assemble with red Loctite and make sure it can't happen.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely use at least some 262 red on the fan hub. 242/243 doesn't take heat all that well.
Beware 271 red as you'll need a torch or powerful soldering iron/oven to get it off later.

The only real weakpoint Montee and I have found on this heli is the landing gear and bottom plate. The gear has no flex, then snaps. Sometimes punches your pipe, sometimes busts a bottom plate.

I'm thinking find a set of gorilla gear or tuff struts and call it a day

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I busted the gear in the crash, but no other real tests of them yet. There are few other skids that could work. Align struts are really tough too. I sort of like the snap catch the canopy has on them...maybe it's not necessary when the rear grommets are tight on the posts.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on the Aligns. I may try to retrofit those on as I have a pile I never used from a 600N. The way they would snap would also save the pipe from getting punched by landing gear.

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in