Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Outrage Velocity 50 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help with DX7/ Brain pitch/ thottle curves

Hi everyone,

I'm nearly done with converting my Velocity 50N2 to Flybarless and need some help with setting up the radio for throttle and pitch curves.

Do I just follow as per the outrage manual instructions or should I do it another way?

I'm really scared that something is going to happen on my maiden- Help!!

Thanks in advance
rotormasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I am using the MSH Brain controller...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone!?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its a pretty dead page. Dont worry about what Outrage says about your throttle setting. Just go off of your governor settings, I am assuming you are going to run the Brain Governor for this. As for pitch just dont exceed what you can handle. I set up every new model with +12, 0 midstick and -12. My pitch curve in the radio is linear and I pretty much ignore everything coming from the Manufacturer manual that doesnt directly relate to how to build the heli.

As for my setup I run 1800 and 2100 governored and no normal throttle. Its kind of kicking my butt with tuning a little but I am figuring it out now. As for max head speed I have heard through spoken work its 2200 RPM but I have not seen anything written.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerbmx View Post
Its a pretty dead page. Dont worry about what Outrage says about your throttle setting. Just go off of your governor settings, I am assuming you are going to run the Brain Governor for this. As for pitch just dont exceed what you can handle. I set up every new model with +12, 0 midstick and -12. My pitch curve in the radio is linear and I pretty much ignore everything coming from the Manufacturer manual that doesnt directly relate to how to build the heli.

As for my setup I run 1800 and 2100 governored and no normal throttle. Its kind of kicking my butt with tuning a little but I am figuring it out now. As for max head speed I have heard through spoken work its 2200 RPM but I have not seen anything written.

Great, many thanks!

I'll go and try to maiden it tomorrow evening, hopefully I have the Brain set up ok to start with. I must say I'm feeling nervous about the Flybarless and what it will do...

Cross fingers!

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also what I was going to do is test fly the heli without the governor on and once I am happy with the initial flight I'll get the governor running!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just make sure not to over pitch the heli. IE slamming all 12 degrees at once and the motor should be fine. As for direct throttle percentage...I am guessing in the 60-70% range for a good hover and break in flight. After you have that out of the way the Gov will do the hard work. Dont be too worried about the FBL controllers, they have come a long way and all the tip over horror stories are a thing of the past. If your heli tips on take off, there is a major problem with vibrations, meaning that something is badly bent or broken. The Brain is one of the latest FBL controllers so it will be more than capable.

As for the throttle on second thought, if you want to run their suggested setup when you do a no gov flight you should be safe. If you have head speed telemetry installed its a great tool to make sure you arent over speeding it to death.

FrSky Taranis
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great! I've done that. Going to test later today weather permitting...

Thanks for the help, I'll report back later!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am looking forward to it. I need to go out and tune my engine into this new lower temps we have been having, that and higher humidity. Hope all goes well, I really like the Outrage 50, it just seems to push much harder than the Trex 600N.

FrSky Taranis
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First flight update...

Right, so after much time spent making sure that all was bolted together the right way I toke my Velo to the park Friday afternoon.

Initial start I had a hot start for the first time in my life, thank god I had a good grip on her!

After a quick servo reverse, she was ready and idling well.

I was amazed how smooth the thing flew!

The only thing is my pitch curves were a bit out so it need a bit of work before I could push her hard... So that was my first tank, what a joy!

On my second tank I was maybe into the 4th minute doing some big air moves and some rolls when and this was me doing this way too low, I had a brain moment and crashed her fairly hard!

Damage was about £120 in parts and I was surprised but managed to bust my two frames!! Gutted, anyway got most parts from Optionhobbies and should have her up in the air soon.

Next time I wont rush into flying inverted too low that's for sure!

Want to say thank you to all that helped me getting the thing running, for sure I really like the feel of this Brain FBL unit!

Marco
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thats a shame. I only crashed once with my 50n2 and it was a terrible feeling, my only nitro. Sounds good that you got it working for the little amount of time though, and you have replacements on the way. You should look into setting up the self level on the brain. In the event of a low inverted that scares you, it will give you the ability to save it.

I praticed bailouts on the sim until I could avoid a lot of crashes and alway regain orientation. I have not had a moment like that since and all of my latest crashes are not losing orientation but exceeding the limits of the heli, such as too much pitch and cyclic stalling the heli out 1ft off the ground, or breaking one way bearings or jesus bolts.

FrSky Taranis
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it was simply my fault, think I need to put more hours into the Sim!
But the heli and the Flybarless fly so smooth...
Will have her flying by mid August hopefully as im off on holidays.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone knows how to upload photos on the thread?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To upload them as an attachment on this forum you go into advanced reply, then click add attachments. To get them on your profile, go to your profile, on the right click show all albums, click add album, then upload pictures.

FrSky Taranis
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
To upload them as an attachment on this forum you go into advanced reply, then click add attachments. To get them on your profile, go to your profile, on the right click show all albums, click add album, then upload pictures.

Thanks, I'll try loading one or two from the crash...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have any questions setting up the ikon unit on the velocity feel free to pm me, I have setup the ikon unit on both my fusion 50 and velocity 50. MSH makes the flybarless setup super easy.
Sowa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
If you have any questions setting up the ikon unit on the velocity feel free to pm me, I have setup the ikon unit on both my fusion 50 and velocity 50. MSH makes the flybarless setup super easy.

Thanks Mitsu!

Will rebuild it first then I might be back for more information/ help...
By the way, what radio do you use?
Best,

Marco
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I get this message every time I try to upload photos!! Is it to do with the size of the photos or something? :

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

God I'm so rubbish at this! Help
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using a dx7s
Sowa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

DX7s for me also. Its a pretty good radio if you dont need 8 ch or high price tags.

FrSky Taranis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in