Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Carbon Z yak54??

I am new to planes and wanting to get my first. I have been playing alot on the simulator and know I am ready to fly one. I have been flying all kinds on the simulator so want something a little more advanced than a trainer. Here is my problem. I have found a great deal on a like new Carbon Z yak and was thinking about picking it up. I am using a DX6I and hoping to be able to tone it back in the settings. What are your opinions. I have read several places where this is not a beginner plane, so I am sure I will hear that. Is it possible to tone it back and slowly progress with this plane? Thanks for the help.
runnin2live is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

its a handfull to fly for a beginner plane, true it can be toned down with expo/dualrates etc, but the difrence with a plane of this caliber and say something like a trainer style plane is great, if you understand the concept of the style these planes fly then you can only hurt your wallet trying, however its down to how sensible you wanna do this,

this plane is light and quick, the roll rates can potentialy be disorientating for even a seasond pilot.

if you decide to get one i would recomend the following

practice hard on the sim, its good practice that helps with the thumbs,

practice landings and take offs, dont concentrate on doing stunts or anything other than circuts and landings, its boring i know but once you can fly this thing and land it without much trouble stunts and 3d come next.

Set up dual rates to around 45/55% throws and expo 25% / 35% on low rates and high rates you can set the travel to anything upto 100% but you will need around 40 / 50% expo to make her tame in middle sticks, otherwise you will be pitchy expecialy on the elevator, i would give the ailerons more expo if needed.

pre flight checks dont skip the following,

check nuts/bolts fastnings are all adequetly tight ans secure,
check prop and nut assembly for play or vibrations,
check direction of controls all move in right direction,
check balance the manual will indicate the correct CG, slightly nose heavy is ok but tail heavy can be extremley hard to control.
range check.
weather check, gusty wind is a no no! on a maiden, try to go out with a breeze of around 0-6mph max, you can fly in harsher winds but for the purposes of trimming its best fly when calm,

most importaint, fly in an open area, away from anything that can jump up and grab your plane like trees, fences, poles, lamp posts etc, also away from polulated areas or public parks.

after checks, its importaint to fly and land into the wind, tie a short ribbon to your transmitter attena, see which way it moves.

with 3d capable models you dont need alot of power to get you up, slowly advance throttle till the tail lifts, apply small amounts of elevator, small inputs of rudder may be nessesary as tail draggers tend to be squirly on taxi and take off, dont over do it just ease it into direction.

rudder is importaint on landings too, as ailerons will become reduced at landing speed and its quite common to over correct causing a tip stall, take off and land using dual rates on low, will reduce the chances of this.

its importaint for the first 5/10 flights not to try any 3D manouvers even for the novice as any new plane or rc aircraft you need to learn the Caracteristics and tendincys such as stall speeds and how it behaves, on the plane you wish to get there is no self level in aileron or any other axis, the flying purely is dependant on the pilot, bacicaly its up to you to correct every movment, its also easy to over correct due to the large control surfaces, tiny movments is enough to make her dance around the sky,

overall its not hard to fly one, ive seen people with only rc car experience pick up a plane and fly it, everyone is difrent really, if you think you are up to it, go for it,

just be carefull and responsible and you shouldent have too much trouble

i would highly recomend a cheap 4 ch model to practice on, sommit like a parkzone sukhoi xp, its fun and much harder to fly than the carbonz if you can fly that you can fly the bigger ones whats more if you do stack it it dosent hurt the micro planes lol
puggster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Puggster pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Planes: Crack Yak, Habu, F-27Q Stryker, T-28D, UM P-51D, P-51 BL, UM SU-26XP, P-47D, UMX Beast v1 & 3D, UMX Sbach 342, UMX Extra 300 3D, UM F-27Q Stryker, H9 Mustang 40, UM Mosquito, Sky Angel 650mm Mustang/550mm FW190, FMS B-25, 64mm Mig-15 XG11 DX8
ElIntocable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in