Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Swash slop?

I have about 100 flights on my Chronos and overall has been trouble free.
Recently started flying it again and today noticed some slop in my swash.

I'm not a hard smack pilot so I was wondering if anyone else expeience this? Also what is best way to address? It's about 1-2mm between the w halves.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ball portion of the swash is very easy to take apart. The lower bearing part, I haven't had to take apart, yet. When you say slop, do you mean the ball moves up and down or does the entire rotating portion of the swash move up and down? If the latter, check the seating of the bearing to rotating portion interface. If you could take a video of the issue so we can better assist.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've heard the chronos swashes have a bit of slop in the bearing. Never seen one, just what I heard. The older compass swashes on the other hand (6hvu, 7hvu) are the tightest swashes I've ever seen. Some guys complained about them being stiff, but definitely no slop.
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My swash has no slop whatsoever. In fact, the ball was tight. I took off the brass top piece, cleaned it, then put it back together. It was perfect.

Scott

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
The ball portion of the swash is very easy to take apart. The lower bearing part, I haven't had to take apart, yet. When you say slop, do you mean the ball moves up and down or does the entire rotating portion of the swash move up and down? If the latter, check the seating of the bearing to rotating portion interface. If you could take a video of the issue so we can better assist.

Scott
The slop being between upper and lower halves. If I grab upper portion linkage to head, and lower portion linkage to servos, I can pull/push apart up and down. Does not seem to be any side to side.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, I'll take a look at my swash plate today after work and see if it is something that is easily repaired. Please bear in mind that I have never separated the lower, static portion of the swash from the rotating portion.

One thing I would ask you to do in the meantime is to position the swash so you can see the underside, then perform your test. Let us know exactly what is moving from the underside of the swash perspective -- bearing, etc. While you're looking at it, make sure all three screws are there.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've looked at the swash. I appears the center rotating section is a press fit into the bearing--an extremely tight press fit. If that is slipping through the bearing you have only once choice short of replacing the swash plate assembly. That choice is to try green bearing retainer on the inside and re-press the center section back into place. If that is not the problem, then you need to get a new swash plate as Compass does not list parts required separately (from the parts list I have).

Scott

Old 04-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looking from the bottom, it looks as though the inner portion of bearing is moving from the center swash section. The section opposite side from screws. Also looks as if the bearing itself is leaking grease.
Possibly the bearing itself is going?
But you say not a replaceable part ?
Not too happy if my swash has worn like this. Never been in crash, checked logs, less then 60 flights, and I do not fly that hard.

New swash almost $80!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are up to taking it apart, it sounds to me like the bearing is gone. It really depends on what you're up for. I'm certain you can source a bearing at places like RCBearings, Boca Bearings, VXBearings. What you'll have to do is pull the bearing without further damage and take very precise measurements, then go to those sites above and see what matches.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in