Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Flying via FPV would improve something?

Hello everyone!
Well, I hate to admit that, but I never been an awesome pilot, maybe lack of training or some other things but let me ask something:

Flying using an FPV system would improve something? I mean, if would be easier to fly, or even easy to fly long distances, because another problem I have is my eyes, I can't fly the heli too much far because I can't see it and I've already lost orientation and crashed for 2 times, almost crashed my DSLR too because of that.

Have anyone tried it yet? Flying FPV while filming and taking pictures on a 2nd camera mount? Is it better?

Regards, Patrick.
patrickmaxxcc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I initially thought FPV would be easier, but it's just so different. I am ok with sport flying but when I use the goggle for FPV, I feel it's very difficult and scared of crashing. Maybe because I only did few times and decided not using FPV until I get comfortable (I made a FPV practice heli with mcx and practice flying FPV inside the house atm. lol) When I get comfortable with mcx FPV, I think I'll try again properly with my proper FPV heli (I fly 450 with gopro FPV system). I know it sounds ironic but I think you will need to practice and get use to it, otherwise crash is inevitable.
I personally use only one cam for both filming and FPV. I haven't had any trouble and I don't think there's any particular advantage using 2nd camera IMO.
shaun169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun169 View Post
I initially thought FPV would be easier, but it's just so different. I am ok with sport flying but when I use the goggle for FPV, I feel it's very difficult and scared of crashing. Maybe because I only did few times and decided not using FPV until I get comfortable (I made a FPV practice heli with mcx and practice flying FPV inside the house atm. lol) When I get comfortable with mcx FPV, I think I'll try again properly with my proper FPV heli (I fly 450 with gopro FPV system). I know it sounds ironic but I think you will need to practice and get use to it, otherwise crash is inevitable.
I personally use only one cam for both filming and FPV. I haven't had any trouble and I don't think there's any particular advantage using 2nd camera IMO.
Hm yes, that's one of the problems I've been thinking about, the "get used to" fact...
I was talking about using two cameras because the camera for filming or for taking pictures moves in the pan and tilt axis, so if the operator moves the camera, I'd be completely lost.

Regards, Patrick (:
Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use a mix of techniques. When it's close in I'll go line of sight.

When it gets past 30 yards I'll use FPV. It provides me an instant sense of orientation since I can see exactly where the helicopter is headed.

Anything farther than 30 yards and it becomes difficult to determine what the T-Rex 450 is doing.

And I think it'll be a matter of getting used to a different set of visual cues when it comes to hovering via FPV. For example, if the ground below is moving under the heli, is it because the heli is tilting upward or moving forward? Or rising? Or sinking? Or a combination of these? The determination can probably be made by noting the position of the horizon and combining it with other cues in the video frame.

It's not going to be easy, but I think it's possible.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windbreaker View Post
I use a mix of techniques. When it's close in I'll go line of sight.

When it gets past 30 yards I'll use FPV. It provides me an instant sense of orientation since I can see exactly where the helicopter is headed.

Anything farther than 30 yards and it becomes difficult to determine what the T-Rex 450 is doing.

And I think it'll be a matter of getting used to a different set of visual cues when it comes to hovering via FPV. For example, if the ground below is moving under the heli, is it because the heli is tilting upward or moving forward? Or rising? Or sinking? Or a combination of these? The determination can probably be made by noting the position of the horizon and combining it with other cues in the video frame.

It's not going to be easy, but I think it's possible.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just dicover by doing it.
May work, or may not work, like for people who gets confused while flying via FPV.

In my opinion, when flying far distances it would help a lot, just wanted to knew if it also work for you guys.

Regards, Patrick.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BTW, I fly with a 7" monitor and not goggles. Makes it easy to switch between the two modes -- just look.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 with Windbreaker
heliaddx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hm Yes, using monitor probably would be better. Also, I think I'd be confused with video goggles.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If distance and orientation are an issue for you, as they are for me, I would highly recommend a self-leveling device like the Skookum or HeliCommand. I haven't crashed in the traditional sense since I mounted the Skookum on my 450. Being able to count on the bird remaining level is a complete game changer. Flying FPV is more-nerve racking than anything else, IMO. It is really tough to get an idea of your change in altitude.
s_linste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_linste View Post
If distance and orientation are an issue for you, as they are for me, I would highly recommend a self-leveling device like the Skookum or HeliCommand. I haven't crashed in the traditional sense since I mounted the Skookum on my 450. Being able to count on the bird remaining level is a complete game changer. Flying FPV is more-nerve racking than anything else, IMO. It is really tough to get an idea of your change in altitude.
Thanks for the advice. Just installed KDS Flymentor, seems to be nice, but even with it I lost control these days and I got a little crash
Let me ask, with Flymentor on, will it prevent the heli to flip?
I guess I haven't configured it as it should be, I'm gonna have to take some day off to do all the configuration in field.

Thank you for helping.

Regards, Patrick.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flymentor pupose is to level the heli when the stick is centered so yes provided it is mounted and set up correctly it will stop the heli from flipping.
But if the gyro is not mounted with good anivibration pads such as Align PU Gell or the heli has exessive vibration the heli will roll.
If set up correctly the only adjustment that need to be done in the field is to set the best gain and this can be done in a very small area. Have you read the set up sticky at the top of the page.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
If distance and orientation are an issue for you, as they are for me, I would highly recommend a self-leveling device like the Skookum or HeliCommand.
Yep, I got a Skookum SK-720 in mine. Self-leveling is on 100% of the time, set at 80%. So if the stick moves to the center, so does the helicopter. Haven't crashed it in quite some time now.

Because I can switch to FPV when orientation is in question, I can also get the helicopter higher up. That means I can practice maneuvers, such as steep turns, fast stops, etc, without risking a crash. I can also practice maintaining position via FPV without worrying about hitting something. As I get better at it I can get lower to the ground.

For what I do, the SK-720 is a better investment than a simulator. With all the things that I did to this T-Rex 450, it's not going to behave like any available model. It's heavier, the controls work differently and what I'll see in the monitor isn't going to be anything like what's seen in the simulator's screen.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmaxxcc View Post
Thanks for the advice. Just installed KDS Flymentor, seems to be nice, but even with it I lost control these days and I got a little crash
Let me ask, with Flymentor on, will it prevent the heli to flip?
I guess I haven't configured it as it should be, I'm gonna have to take some day off to do all the configuration in field.

Thank you for helping.

Regards, Patrick.
Flight stabilisation unit helps a lot for FPV. Not just for giving you time in case of emergency but also helps a lot psychologically. lol!
I've used Flymentor and currently using Helicommand Rigid but I can tell you Flymentor will definitely do its job for FPV. I guess if you give extreme cyclic and hold it there, it will still be able to flip the heli but I don't see that would likely to happen.
and I totally agree, screen should be much easier compare to using goggles. When wearing goggles I even get scared in case of it hits me. lol! and it is so much easier to switch the view. I just ordered a 10" portable DVD player for the screen purpose.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun169 View Post
I just ordered a 10" portable DVD player for the screen purpose.
Be careful which LCD you choose as they can cut out when the signal gets weak. Ideal LCD screen seem to be the ones that don't go "blue". I guess it is less of an issue if you are not doing "pure" FPV with the bird completely out of sight.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you everyone for the advices, I'm taking it!
I'll start by configuring my Flymentor better and if this would be enough, no FPV yet.
If it won't work for me, so, going for FPV.

And I didn't really understand what s_linste said... Woudn't every LCD "turn off" and get a "No signal" screen when there's nothing coming out of the receiver?

Best regards, Patrick!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I meant was, different screens have different thresholds before displaying "no signal". If, for instance, the signal distorts somewhat causing some minor interference, we prefer to have a LCD that lets us see this distortion rather than cut out. Since most LCD screens are intended for use with cable TV or DVD player, most have a very slim tolerance for interference in the video input and will cut out under conditions that are perfectly tolerable for FPV.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What I meant was, different screens have different thresholds before displaying "no signal". If, for instance, the signal distorts somewhat causing some minor interference, we prefer to have a LCD that lets us see this distortion rather than cut out. Since most LCD screens are intended for use with cable TV or DVD player, most have a very slim tolerance for interference in the video input and will cut out under conditions that are perfectly tolerable for FPV.
Oh right, didn't know about that difference.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am planning to make a tutorial video regarding my micro FPV coaxial helicopter. Practically, you can practice FPV inside your room! lol. the micro-coaxial is mimicking a lot for bigger proper FPV heli with stabilisation unit on. My broadband will be installed on 9th and I will let you know once I upload the video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in