Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lork View Post
Hello,

Mild kit installed. I use an old DP 3A flashed it with BLHeli.
Hi,
did you exchange mosfets on DP-3A?
I have big problems with DP-3A.
Changed mosfets on several XP-3A and Supermicro 3.5 A successfully.
But did not have success in 4 (!!!) DP-3A.

OK, two of them were old, maybe broken.
But two of them were brand new.

N-channel Mosfets on motor - out side, P-channel mosfets on power/signal in side (as in Supermicro 3.5 A and XP-3 A)?
Found only one webside for this (in fact, Achim/4712 found it for me), and it seems to be correct this way also in DP-3A.

But all those DP-3A ESCs do not work and run extremely hot when plugged to battery.

Of course I have checked all soldering points etc. many times; everything seems to be fine and ok, but none of my DP-3A works.
I am not a perfect solderer, and I am sure, I can make mistakes in soldering.
But strange for me: I can do it in XP-3A and Supermicro 3.5A, but I seem not able to do it in DP-3A.
Is there something different in DP-3A?

Would be glad, if someone has an idea what my problem could be.

(Anyway, for some weeks now Hobbyking does not sell DP-3A for buddy price anymore, so no need to buy DP-3A instead of XP-3A anymore).

Thanks,

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Walter,
It's a "stock" DP 3A, but it's an old model bought 2 years ago and never used. Maybe HK changed mosfet refs ?

ESC is not hot after 3 mins 30. I think i'm lucky, but an other DP 3A burnt just after 1 sec.
Lork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I found my perfect tail solution for my double BL Nano with 16600 kv main motor.

Before I tried HP02t and Hextronik 2 g Outrunner as tail motor.
Both did not work with "small" tail rotors (I tried stock, KBDD, and also the slightly bigger Xtwin).
But both tails worked perfectly with big tail rotors (I used Plantraco/RRC; but Walkera should also work).
But I do not like the huge rotors on the tail of this tiny heli; additionally you need big tail fins so that the rotor does not touch the ground.

Both of those motors (HP02t and Hextronik 2 g) have low kv values, < 8000 kv.

So I tried tail motors with higher kv values, Hawk 12000 and Hobbyking 12000.

And, what a big surprise:
Both of those motors work perfectly with "small tail rotors" (I used KBDD).
OK, they are about 1 g heavier than HP02t and Hextronik 2g, but:
- big tail rotor looks ugly in my eyes on the tiny Nano
- you can use a normal, short tail rod, do not have to make it longer (otherwise the RRC/Plantraco prop can touch main blades) - so little lighter
- you do not have to use a big tail fin (so little lighter)
- small tail rotors are also little lighter than the big ones.

All in all its only a very slight weight penalty (if any), <<< 1 g.

I weighed the tail rotors:

KBDD: 0.22 g
Walkera 4g3/4b120: 0.38 g
Plantraco/RRC: 0.41 g
Xtwin: 0.28 g
Nano stock tailrotor: 0.14 g

I guess, I have found my perfect tail for my 16600 Nano CPX

Use 300 mAh batteries and mCP x plugs on this heli.

Walter
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Weight penalty?

OK about a gram heavier to use the Hawk or HK motors instead of HP03 as tail. What is the weight difference between stock tail and your HP02 tail (including ESC, of course).
Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveapplemotors View Post
OK about a gram heavier to use the Hawk or HK motors instead of HP03 as tail.
HP03t is also 3 g, so similar weight to Hawk 12000; but the Hawk 12000 is the better motor.

Quote:
What is the weight difference between stock tail and your HP02 tail (including ESC, of course).
Do you mean with wires or without?
With plugs or without?
With double sided tape or without?
Stock tail with 2 mm rod or hollow tube?

Forget it...

My double BL Nano is 29.6 g (incl. stock canopy, mCP x skids, excl. battery); and thats fine; not perfect, but fine.

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 12-20-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default XP 3A settings for Nano

Can anyone help?
I am currently waiting delivery of my brushless parts to convert my heli. I have ordered a toolstick and plan to flash the ESC with blheli 9.3. As I am new to this and keen to learn, could someone advise on what settings I need to change from the ones in the HEX files under the xp 3a Main. I am looking at basic flying and no 3d as yet. I am after similar performance to the stock and will be using a hp03 13000Kv motor. Any screen shots of suitable settings would be usefull. or any other recomendations or advice from any one in a similar situation.

Thanks

JonBee
JonBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jon,
here the settings I actually use in my double BL Nano (with 16600 main).
It works very well so far, but I am sure it is not perfect and appreciate comments for changes.
Change the gov/kv/pinion part to your motors and it should at least work well.

I do not say this is perfect
And I still do not have understood every part of those settings, I am still a newb, and am open for any comments.

Walter

Edit: Nano Main gear has only 70 t - so you should change this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XP-3A-16600-Screenshot.PNG
Views:	2500
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	375902  

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 12-21-2012 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: 70 t instead of 72 on the Nano
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thanks about Hawk motor research

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
HP03t is also 3 g, so similar weight to Hawk 12000; but the Hawk 12000 is the better motor.
My double BL Nano is 29.6 g (incl. stock canopy, mCP x skids, excl. battery); and thats fine; not perfect, but fine.

Walter
Thanks. I can weigh a 300mah battery to get your flying weight. Your dbl bl nano sounds near perfect to me. What would be perfect for you? I am sure you get at least 4 minutes of hard flight, no?

Thanks for your research. I might go with the Hawk if I have tail problems with my AD Wild nanos.

BTW my wild bl boy flies 4 minutes at 32.9 grams with stock skids, bullet blades, canopy, hollow boom, KDBB rotor on stock brushed motor and 240mah Hyperion

Dave
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default XP 3A Settings for Nano

[QUOTE=donaldsneffe;4549848]Hi Jon,
here the settings I actually use in my double BL Nano (with 16600 main).
It works very well so far, but I am sure it is not perfect and appreciate comments for changes.
Change the gov/kv/pinion part to your motors and it should at least work well.
I do not say this is perfect
And I still do not have understood every part of those settings, I am still a newb, and am open for any comments.

Many thanks Walter

This will this give me a starting piont, if anyone else can offer their experiece, comments, settings etc. it would be appreciated. I made a typo as the moter is a HP03SPE KV135000

JonBee
JonBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks. I can weigh a 300mah battery to get your flying weight. Your dbl bl nano sounds near perfect to me. What would be perfect for you?
Easier way to change motor/pinion than with the AstroidDesigns way (motor glued to frame).
Better frames - if you break the frame, you can "do everything new".
Little more punch

I did of course weigh the "good batteries" I fly with:
Xtreme 300 mAh 7,97 g
Turnigy Nano-tech 300 mAh 45 - 90 c 8,61 g (für SP 100 - with wire)

I would prefer the smaller batteries as I have in my other BL Nano (actually grounded because of broken board, free replacement board on way).
You feel the Nano reall "lighter" with smaller batteries.
Because I had changed plugs to mCP x plugs on this Nano, I cant use stock plug batteries anymore in this Nano.
I like very much flying indoors with "only" the Stock Eflite battery (with reduced flight time, but more agility).
I will probably buy MyLipo 205 soon for the "stock plug Nanos", awsome reviews.

Quote:
I am sure you get at least 4 minutes of hard flight, no?
No.

I get nearly 7 min of hard flight times with good 300 mAh batteries, and 7:30 - 7:50 till (board) LVC (reduced LVC of ESC to 3 V, but did not yet remove the transistor for LVC on the board).
I was extremely surprised by the flight times.
Have timer on 5 min now and fly normally about 6 min.

But I am not an as good pilot as you are, and flying outdoors is not possible in these (winter) times in Austria.
So in my living room I am happy to hover inverted and stuff like this, no 30something flips in 1 minute

Quote:

BTW my wild bl boy flies 4 minutes at 32.9 grams with stock skids, bullet blades, canopy, hollow boom, KDBB rotor on stock brushed motor and 240mah Hyperion

Dave
I think it is not much sense giving weight WITH battery - I can use different batteries on the same bird.
I have Hyperion 240, weighed one now, its 6.84 g (with wires and plugs), so your bird is about 26 g - good.

Maybe stock tail motor is even better than BL tail motor (because of weight); but I did not get very good results with 16600 main/8t - stock was too weak.
But it performed nearly perfectly with 13500 main (but this setup with 7 t is quite weak).

So still more than enough place for improvements - also in my 16600 Nano.

Walter
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBee View Post
I made a typo as the moter is a HP03SPE KV135000

JonBee

Wow - what a motor!
Where did you get it from?

Walter

(Remove a "0" and I know where you probably got it from )
Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Set up the BL Nano with Dylans HP03SEP 16600 kv "wild" and the Astroid CFK frame parts.
It is quite similar in performance as my previous "Frankenstein" motor.
Got very good flight results with (warmed up) Hyperion 240 mAh batteries outside (0° C): 4 minutes power, 5 1/2 min flight time.
Indoors I did not get much longer flight times with 300 mAh 45C mCP x batteries.

Still use the tiny Hextronik 2g outrunner. Because it shows slight tail blowouts with KBDD blades, I tried the good old Xtwin blades (from mCP x 7 mm tail motor times); but they are no improvement.
Will mount the HP02t now; hope not to have to use the big RRC/Plantraco props on this tiny helicopter.

Anyway, mounting the HP03SEP was quite a pain.
The shaft in my Oversky motor was kind of clipped - so it did not have a smoothe end; additionally it seems to be very soft; bent shaft two times when trying to mount pinion; additionaly also damaged pinion a little bit.
Did not have those troubles before (with as long and as thin shafts in my motors); maybe only bad luck.
And maybe thats the reason now, why this Nano is by far louder than my other BL Nano with Frankenstein motor (I think, it could be the pinion).
I think, it is not very easy to mount motor with pinion and plastic ring and adjusting gear mesh - by gluing the motor to the CFK base plate.
It was quite a pain to do this - but I managed it.
But what do do when I want to remove motor, change pinion...?
Break and glue again...

I would very much like to have a base plate from Dylan as this one, but with room to mount other motors and to mount those motors with screws - and also to be able to adjust gear mesh this way.

Anyway, it works well so far - but it is not a very easy job (to glue the motor with correct gear mesh).

Walter

Pfff.... have to apologize for my own stupidness and therefore quote my old post.

Its not Dylans stuff, thats difficult to mount.
Its a stupid donkey called Walter who makes work hard for himself because he never reads instructions carefully.
Watched a video on Youtube today building the Astroid kit.
And then - the scales fell from my eyes!
This guy did not cut the lower stock motor mount after gluing the cf brace to the frame?
Why?
Because its not necessary and also not said in Dylans instructions to do this

But stupid me, used to this from my previous, custom frames, had cut the lower plastic from the frame after gluing the brace
So I had of course troubles gluing the plastic ring with motor inside to the cf brace...

Anyway, I managed it, and it works fine so far (saved weight ), for weeks now.

But:
Stupid, more stupid, ...

Sorry Dylan for being doubful...

Walter
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am having problems with my mild BL powered nano. The heli acts like it is hitting LVC after only 30-45 seconds on a couple of fully charged battery's with only 4 or 5 cycles on them. The same thing happens on another battery that is a lot older almost immediately. This just started happening. The last thing I did on the nano was re-solder a broken tail motor wire. I checked all wires and solder joints and all look good or at least the same as before when it performed good. BTW these are stock e-flite lipos 1s 3.7v 150mAh 25C. Anybody else have problems like this?
jlk69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the weather cold where you are? I was having the same problem until I started warming my batteries and I have 18 new 150 mah batteries.
Willyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is inside. BTW 2 packs before was at park with friends and temps were below 40 F and still got 2:30 before power dropped so stopped flying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it possible to use hp02t as the main motor for nano cpx?
Thanks
hcubeh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

can you use hp02t as the main bl motor? has anyone try it? Thanks
hcubeh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default lipo temperature

Dylan told me that 70 degree batteries don't work as well as 90-100 degree batteries.

When my wild nano crashed in the snow a couple of days ago it was packed with cold powder snow. It was not wet snow. I blew all the powder out of it pretty well and spooled it up in my hand. I set it down on the ground for take-off but it wouldn't fly. Cold shocked the 240mah Hyperion right down to LVC. To make sure the helicopter was dry I flew right away with a warm battery from my pocket.

My flight times are down with colder batteries. And as a remedy for cold lipos I have fabricated a hollow 4" cube out of modelling clay to tend my batteries. A 12V heater from HK warms the batteries and clay container to a thermostatically controlled 100 degrees F. A lot of clay (thermal mass) should maintain heat.

I am going outside to fly now. It's a little below freezing. I will test the battery temp saver and my new transmitter glove.

I have learned that warm lipos charge better, too.

Merry Christmas all. Have fun with your toys.
Dave
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcubeh View Post
can you use hp02t as the main bl motor? has anyone try it? Thanks
HP02t hast 8000 kv - far too less.
I even had troubles with 11500 kv motors (Turnigy 1015, 1015, M5), they are too weak.

Even 13500 kv HP03s (se, spe) are quite weak.

Walter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in