Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tail issue (5 min 15 sec)
caliraptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hk450 tail issue (1 min 26 sec)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Your stick is correct, but you must reverse the gyro.. it's correcting backwards.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

how do I do that?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know. I don't have a YXZ. Read the manual? It's in the software setup. All gyros have tail reverse even tail gyros. Sorry.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for your input
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Your stick is correct, but you must reverse the gyro.. it's correcting backwards.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliraptor View Post
how do I do that?
Go to Setup> Tail Setup tab and hit the big button that says "Tail servo (Normal)". It should switch to "Tail servo (Reverse)". You'll probably have to reverse the rudder axis on your Tx after this.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
+1

Go to Setup> Tail Setup tab and hit the big button that says "Tail servo (Normal)". It should switch to "Tail servo (Reverse)". You'll probably have to reverse the rudder axis on your Tx after this.
I'm not sure, but in your bench video at about 3:58, you said you were moving your rudder stick to the right. And when you did, the tail pitch slider moved away from the boom. It should move toward the tail boom. If you were looking at the tail from behind the helicopter, the pitch slider should move to the left (towards the boom), when you're giving it right rudder stick. If I'm correct, then you need to do as Dr. M said, and click the tail servo button on the "Tail Setup" screen and change it to reverse (or normal depending on what it was in your video). Although, I'm not sure why he advised you may also need to reverse your rudder channel in the TX as well. I don't think you would need to.

You need to also verify that your rudder gyro sense is correct. Once you have the tail servo direction moving in the correct direction to rudder stick input, then test the tail gyro sense.
Grasp the tail fin in your right hand, and put the tip of your index finger between the pitch slider and the boom along the tail rotor shaft. Rotate the helicopter so that you're moving the tail to the right, and the nose is moving to the left about the main rotor head axis. You should feel a pinch if the gyro is correcting properly. If it's opposite, you'll feel the gap widen. If it's incorrect, click the Gyro Direction" tab of the ZYX app and click the button in the "Yaw" box to reverse (or to make normal depending on which it currently is) the tail gyro sense.

This page and video might help.

http://mycoolheli.com/gyrobenchtest.html
Nihilistic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default tarot zyx

There are three places where you can change the direction of the tail servo action:
1) Tx
2) Tail settings page
3) gyro directions page

there will be multiple combinations that will result in correct tail behavior. Watch the video posted above, then fiddle with these reversals until the tail behaves correctly, using the tests posted by Nihilistic.

Those tests will do, though I usually like to keep my fingers away from moving parts, so I just watch the tail blades. Right rudder stick or swinging the heli nose left should both result in the tail blades rotating with the leading edge towards the boom.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks I think we( all of you) resolve the tail issue, now when is about to hover the heli tilts to the right I don't know how to approach this one
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
thanks I think we( all of you) resolve the tail issue, now when is about to hover the heli tilts to the right I don't know how to approach this one
What did you have to change to get the tail right? The tail servo direction, or the gyro sense? Or both?

How bad is the tendency to tilt to the right? Is it just drifting right in a hover, or is it trying to bank hard to the right and tilt over when you spool up? Make another flight video if you can.

You're not using any trims on the TX, are you?

In your flight video, it looked like you had a bit of vibration. Got a mildly bent main or feathering shaft that might be causing too much vibration? Maybe too tight motor and main gear mesh? Maybe add another foam tape piece and the metal plate sandwiched between them when you mount the ZYX-S.

Sometimes vibrations can be transmitted through the wiring to the ZYX-S, if they're under too much tension. It looked like you had them bundled up in some wiring tubing or mesh. That may make your wiring all nice and neat, but it can carry vibes more easily that way too.

It looked like your servo trim was pretty decent in your setup video, but you might go back over that again and make some fine adjustments. First, make sure your main shaft is straight up and perpendicular with the bench surface the helicopter is sitting on, and the surface is level, using a bubble level. Sometimes the skids are warped a little and the helicopter isn't sitting level, which will throw off your pitch gauge.

Check your pitch at midstick in idle up (with throttle hold on assuming your TH pitch curve is linear), starting with the blades on the left side of the helicopter, perpendicular with the tail boom. Make servo trim adjustments in the ZYX-S app until you have perfect zero pitch. Then rotate the rotor head clockwise 90 degrees until the blade is facing forward and parallel to the tail boom (without tilting or bumping the helicopter to prevent disturbing the servos or the pitch gauge). Again, make fine adjustments to the servo trim in the ZYX-S app to get zero degrees pitch. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. Keep doing this until you have zero degrees pitch all the way around.

Then check the pitch on the other blade. You may need to adjust the turn buckle of this blade's control arm linkage to get it even with the other blade, so you have zero degrees pitch all the way around.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

You didn't accidentally change the roll gyro direction when you were fixing the tail did you?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to change the servo to reverse on the transmitter and when in hover it want to bank to the right I'm going to take the main shaft and spindle to make sure is right and set it up again

Last edited by caliraptor; 01-28-2014 at 11:36 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I have to change the servo to reverse on the transmitter and when in hover it want to bank to the right I'm going to take the main shaft and spindle to make sure is right and set it up again
Good idea. It did look to me you have excessive vibs on the ground but need to see in the air for real vib test.

Only one thing will cause it to go to the right, swash is tilted to the right (albeit something else may be causing the swash to tilt). So I'd start there.

And glad your sticking with it, the reward will be even sweeter
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok set it up again, it looks good, when I throttle up for hover the tail is not holding, I have to give a little left inputs, should I increase the gain in the transmitter? is a airtronics RD8000 thanks guys
Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ok set it up again, it looks good, when I throttle up for hover the tail is not holding, I have to give a little left inputs, should I increase the gain in the transmitter? is a airtronics RD8000 thanks guys
In your setup video at the beginning on the monitor screen, it looked like your rudder wasn't centered. It was at like -7. When you start out setting up the helicopter with a ZYX-S, you need to have all your trims and subtrims set to zero (centered), and all your endpoints at 100%. Then follow the instructions on the "Monitor" tab of the ZYX-S app. Use subtrims in the TX to get zero on the monitor screen in the ZYX-S app when the sticks are centered and neutral, and endpoints to get +/- 100% for aileron, elevator, collective, and rudder.

You may also need to increase the gain in the TX as well. The ZYX-S app and manual recommends starting out at 36 (whatever value in your gain channel on your TX that gives you 36 on the monitor screen in the ZYX-S app). You may need to adjust that to get maximum tail hold without tail wag or hunting later.

Do you have a red light lit on the ZYX-S after it's done initializing? If so, it's in Heading Hold mode, which is what most people prefer to fly in. If the light is blue, then you're in Rate mode. I'm not familiar with the TX you're using, so you'll need to look up what value range on your gyro gain channel is heading hold mode, and what value range is rate mode. For my DX6i, above 50% is HH, and below is rate mode.

Not everyone agrees with this method, but what seems to be the most common way to set up your tail is to start in Rate mode, and move the tail servo forward or backward on the tail boom till you get just the right amount of tail blade pitch that it holds in a hover. In your case, since your tail servo is mounted on the frame, you'd adjust your tail servo linkage rod instead. Once that's accomplished, then you can flip into HH mode, and probably never use rate mode again, except if you need to set up the tail again.

This is done for two reasons. One, it insures that your helicopter doesn't spin out of control if you accidentally hit the gyro switch and flip into rate mode in flight. Two, it makes it easier on your tail servo and gyro if the tail is calibrated in this way. Once that's done, you will probably need to readjust your tail endpoints in the ZYX-S app to be sure you're getting the maximum rudder throw possible without binding in either direction.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might be hijacking.. Your talk about setting up rate mode prompted me to do it on mine.
On a 250 with ZYX-S2 I started at transmitter gyro gain 30 but had wag. I started decreasing gain by 10, and it still wagged. I even got to 0 and it wagged worse. I set it to 45 and wag was gone, and I went ahead and adjusted the servo for straight tail in hover.
But on a 250 with ZYX-S, I didnt have wag at 30. Seems like the ZYX-S2 is backwards.
On both I have the gain in the software for the tail set at 100.
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I give up this zyx is no working or I'm missing something set it up again and broke landing gear and tail blades :-(
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I give up this zyx is no working or I'm missing something set it up again and broke landing gear and tail blades :-(
Sorry to hear about your crash. Have you got previous experience with 450 helicopters? Have you setup and flown a 450 bird with a flybar? Or is this your first CCPM helicopter?

What tail servo are you using? Did you follow the monitor screen instructions and get your center and endpoints correct? Is your tail servo moving the pitch slider in the correct direction in response to rudder stick input? Is the gyro set to correct properly?

When you begin to spool up, the helicopter starts to get light on the skids and will sometimes try to yaw a little before your tail rotor is producing enough thrust to counter, especially when on a smooth slick surface like a concrete driveway. If your tail is setup properly it should hold, or be close to holding in a hover in rate mode. Then you just need to follow the steps I mentioned before to get your tail right.

This hobby can be frustrating at times, but few problems prove to be insurmountable to Team Helifreak!

We're happy to help you along, if you choose to continue. The more details you can provide, the better chance we have of puzzling it out. Videos are enormously helpful, so get a friend to video you trying to hover the helicopter once you get your new blades and landing gear (you may be able to super glue the landing gear, but they're a pretty cheap part to replace, as are the tail blades).
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two t rex 450dfc with beast x gyro and robird g31 gyro this one wanted to set it up for my brother to get him in to helis but I don't want to spend a lot, if he decided no to get in to helis that's why I pick up this xyz gyro but I don't know what is wrong with it I guess you get what you pay for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in