Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Stepper motor question.

What do you guys think about putting 2 identical stepper motors in parallel? They would be installed one on each end of the drive screw, physically in phase and electrically in parallel. Should work, see any problems?
JBajkor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have personal experience doing that, but I don't think that set-up will play well together. The two motors will fight one another. Nothing is ever "exactly the same" and if they are holding position or making a move, each motor will do it's thing slightly different.

Either get a larger, stronger single stepper or gear down the smaller one you have if speed isn't an issue.

-Mike
Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply.
Just ordered a pair of 850 oz-in motors so no need to parallel my small ones.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should work fine. There are a lot of 3D printers using 2 stepper motors driving a screw/threaded rods on the Z axis. Although they are not attached to the same screw, but they should step the same amount each time.

For whats its worth, the ones on my printer do not go out of phase.
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're talking a master/slave setup. I see this a lot at work. I'm an electrician and I work on the cnc machines at work to try to keep them going. Parallel won't work, cause if you have one motor on a screw on one end, and then another motor on the other end of the same screw, one motor has to turn backwards or mirrored. With a stepper motor, you might be able to. I don't know how accurate the positioning is on stepper motors, but the motors we use, have a million pulse encoders on them, so 1 million pulses per revolution. Plus we have incremental glass scales on those axis as well.

Can it be done, I'm sure it can, but you have to or should wire it and configure it as another axis, just mirror it. That done with a parameter on a Fanuc control.

Hope that helps.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good info guys. I like the idea of 2 screws. My original plan was using a couple of 270 oz-in motors. No problem making one go backward, just a matter of reversing A and B wires.
However, now that I have 850 oz-in motors coming, one on each axis is plenty.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

While that might with with stepper motors, anything with an encoder on the motor though, it wouldn't work, as the encoder will tell the control it's going the wrong way, therefore you need to tell the control to mirror or reverse the motor. Typically when they are wired wrongly don't don't match the encoder, the axis or motor will run away as fast as it can. The older equipment that I used to work on, that's how they worked. The newer stuff, well most run glass scales for super accurate positioning.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I understand the runaway you talk about. Feedback must also be reversed or you get the same thing as setting your tail gyro sense wrong. However, mine is a simple open loop system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in