Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wag + Vbar

Hey guys, just got a 300x in a trade, but I didn't get the beastx, so I'm just running a spare vbar i have. The cyclic is great the vibes are low but the tail will wag wag wag.

There is a little tiny bit of slop in the tail, and the vbar is setup right. I got an Align 425 servo today and it's no better than the stock servo. I'm thinking just buy the lynx tail, but not sure how precision that thing is and if it's worth the $90.

Any thoughts on the vbar + 300x combo? or the lynx tail??
jbaum81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The lynx tail system is really nice but you shouldn't need it to get rid of a wag, even with all the slop in the stock parts. Given your vbar is properly adjusted, I would suspect either a tail servo on the way out (do not replace with a stock one), mechanical binding in the tail linkage, or your mechanical gain is out of whack.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a vbar on my 300x and I love it. Instead of the bank settings I had to choose the one that allowed it to use the gain settings on my dx6i. Bonce I did that my wag went away.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

I have a buddy that put one (mini vbar) on a stock 450X and couldn't get the wag dialed out either. He tried a couple different tail servos without much change. We never really got to the bottom of it since he's a new dad and so it's had to take a back seat for now. But one thing I do recall is that he never upgraded it to the pro firmware. In the express version you don't get a whole lot of tuning options for the tail, so I always wondered if it could be made better with the pro firmware. Either that or if any difference would be made using a high speed 760μs tail servo like the DS95i. Anyways, food for thought. I wish I had the magic formula. I love my Mini VBar on my X5 but I've never tried it on a small heli. I am interested in finding the root cause since I would like to replace the BeastX on my 300X eventually.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
I have a vbar on my 300x and I love it. Instead of the bank settings I had to choose the one that allowed it to use the gain settings on my dx6i. Bonce I did that my wag went away.
I did that already, even used a trim button on my dx9 to fine tune it but no luck. I have to get it super squishy for the wag to 1/2 way go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I have a buddy that put one (mini vbar) on a stock 450X and couldn't get the wag dialed out either. He tried a couple different tail servos without much change. We never really got to the bottom of it since he's a new dad and so it's had to take a back seat for now. But one thing I do recall is that he never upgraded it to the pro firmware. In the express version you don't get a whole lot of tuning options for the tail, so I always wondered if it could be made better with the pro firmware. Either that or if any difference would be made using a high speed 760μs tail servo like the DS95i. Anyways, food for thought. I wish I had the magic formula. I love my Mini VBar on my X5 but I've never tried it on a small heli. I am interested in finding the root cause since I would like to replace the BeastX on my 300X eventually.

This one is pro, but I'm not hahaha.

The thing is wag has always been easy for me, just a good servo and make sure mechanics are good are your golden. This one is not so easy the tail isn't terrible, I've had far worse fly far better... Not necessarily this small though..
Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which hole on the servo arm are you using?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by para5063 View Post
Which hole on the servo arm are you using?
That's an excellent point, you should definitely experiment with moving the ball around on the tail servo horn. It's really the only variable left.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've tried with different lenghts one at about 74/74 and 110/110 with vbar. both within the good range of the control loop.

I have a feeling I'm just going to have to try out the lynx tail. I hope it's actually quality and precision machined not just some blingtastic "upgrade". I hate to spend $100 on an upgrade on a heli barely worth that in the first place. This little thing is fun though, just annoying tail.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is only $70, and yes it is really nicely made.

http://www.amain.com/Lynx-Heli-Blade...Silver/p295738
Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since the stock tail setup and stock servo (76T) with the AR7200BX works great--no wag, I can't see any reason to buy a $70 aftermarket tail.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

There are also two positions for the ball on the tail pitch lever itself. That might be worth some experimentation as well.

I have the Lynx tail system on my 450X and a few pieces of it on my 300X and think they're really nice, but I'd be pretty surprised if that fixed the problem in this case.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's absolutely not the servo horns I've got that dialed in perfect. It's either the vbar or the tail. I've seen heard of others running the vbar on these.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see it is in fact running pro on your vbar? If so run the tail optimizer and it should cure it. The tail servo hole needs to be really close to the center of the horn. I don't know the exact measurements just that it is very close or it will wag like crazy and force you to run low gain with vbar.

I setup and cfx with vbar and that optimizer is magic when it comes to tuning! But my lynx build with kst servos and ikon with little tuning has a better tail than the cfx which now also has kst servos.

Quite possible the tighter tolerances in the lynx parts make that much of a difference. Hard to say with it being two different gyros tho for my case.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
I see it is in fact running pro on your vbar? If so run the tail optimizer and it should cure it. The tail servo hole needs to be really close to the center of the horn. I don't know the exact measurements just that it is very close or it will wag like crazy and force you to run low gain with vbar.

I setup and cfx with vbar and that optimizer is magic when it comes to tuning! But my lynx build with kst servos and ikon with little tuning has a better tail than the cfx which now also has kst servos.

Quite possible the tighter tolerances in the lynx parts make that much of a difference. Hard to say with it being two different gyros tho for my case.
What are your limits on your tail in your vbar settings? I've gone as low at 74, and high as 110 playing with the length on the horns. I don't know if I'd want to go shorter than 110 as that's already pretty high as it is.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaum81 View Post
What are your limits on your tail in your vbar settings? I've gone as low at 74, and high as 110 playing with the length on the horns. I don't know if I'd want to go shorter than 110 as that's already pretty high as it is.
I don't remember the exact numbers but it was real close to above or below 100 but not by much
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in