Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #161 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB123 View Post
You're right pwoodyp! I just pulled it out of my extra parts box (the idler) and it is a bearing in there! I would have lost that bet, I never looked at it that closely!
Yeah same, pulled my idler out when I first got my kit and then pulled the bearing out just to see what was in there.... that's when I decided to use it to fill the void as show in the photo above.. anywayzzzzz so yup that's how I knew and why I was so certain Do I get a cookie now PS: LOL I even checked the doc's yesterday just to make sure I wurn't dreaming it but Align in their usual tardiness show the idler all has one piece so that was no help....
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoodyp View Post
Yeah same, pulled my idler out when I first got my kit and then pulled the bearing out just to see what was in there.... that's when I decided to use it to fill the void as show in the photo above.. anywayzzzzz so yup that's how I knew and why I was so certain Do I get a cookie now PS: LOL I even checked the doc's yesterday just to make sure I wurn't dreaming it but Align in their usual tardiness show the idler all has one piece so that was no help....
Cookie submitted.Yeah man, I looked at the manual here at work and it shows it as one piece. Bastardos.
Anyway, Happy Holidays dude, don't party too much (if there is such a thing)!
If it ain't broke, fly it...
JEB123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #163 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah same Merry Christmas
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After reading this thread I have been keeping an eye on my belt. On the tenth flight I noticed a slight fraying of the belt on the left side.

Belt is changed, Idler pulley is gone.
GotM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

I pulled mine just from reading some posts. Its been fine .. I do keep mine fairly well lubed though. Cant say its better or worse but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I joined the ranks to remove the pulley.

I had the belt slip and totally bind the entire rotor system two times on a pretty new V2. Probably had less than 10 packs on it when it happened. Luckily I'm new and was just hovering in a gym so I landed softly. I replaced the belt with an align belt and ran a few more packs thru it and it appeared fine, but then I ran across this thread. Have since removed the pulley and got another 6 packs on the bird with no problems.

It definitely free'd up the entire system. You can really tell when you power down the heli that the main blades continue to spin MUCH longer than before. It's very apparant that there is a ton less drag...

On a side note, why wasn't this thread done as a Poll? Would have had a much more dramatic effect to see the numbers one way or another... Probably too late now, ya think?

http://www.rcheli-usa.blogspot.com
tonyisenhoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read the first page of this thread and did a search hoping to find whether or not this was suggested for V1 style tails as well. I have an SA with the gray metal upgrade tail box and haven't had any problems, but I'd also like less drag and the idea of keeping it simple (stupid).
ferret30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret30 View Post
I read the first page of this thread and did a search hoping to find whether or not this was suggested for V1 style tails as well. I have an SA with the gray metal upgrade tail box and haven't had any problems, but I'd also like less drag and the idea of keeping it simple (stupid).
Yes, it is. Your tail case, pulleys and idler pulley are the same as a V2.
Gary JP4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geez...I can't beleive people are still talking about tail pulleys!!!! Just take em off!
Bigdipper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdipper View Post
Geez...I can't beleive people are still talking about tail pulleys!!!! Just take em off!
Ya really think I should take off my idler pulley on the tail box? Why?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdipper View Post
Why fix, what ain't broke? Right?

Been running the stock tail/pulley setup on my 450SE V2 now for 2 1/2 years now. My flying buddies too, same thing... not one problem with belts/tails what so ever!

We all run Silicon lube/spray on the belts though, so that might have aided the situation.

IF you're having a problem, then YES, you don't "need" the idler wheel/pulley. Make sure the belt is nicely lubed with a good quality Silicon lube spray, and with the correct belt tension, you'll have NO problems.

Rick.

Heli Pilot, Engineer & Mechanic for Team Dirka Dirka!
MavriC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ya really think I should take off my idler pulley on the tail box? Why?
I just answered that above. :-)

Rick.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

...years ago when I first got my 450SE V1 the belt would 'fray'. I removed the tail pulley and it never happpened again. If it isn't happening to you then leave it on.
Bigdipper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavriC View Post
Why fix, what ain't broke? Right?
Because it adds unnessary friction to the system. You might not have any problems with it on, but it would be even better without it. Why add friction without any benefit?

Do this: Spin the blades of your heli and count how many rotations you get. Then remove the idler and do it again....you'll notice more rotations.

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
Because it adds unnessary friction to the system. You might not have any problems with it on, but it would be even better without it. Why add friction without any benefit?

Do this: Spin the blades of your heli and count how many rotations you get. Then remove the idler and do it again....you'll notice more rotations.

Skarn
Skarn, I've actually done that, and seen no difference. Remember the idler pulley is on bearings, so it has very little drag. Drag there is, but hardly any to notice a difference.

Well, at least on my Heli that is.

Rick.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #176 (permalink)

My HF Map location

That drag is not from the bearing but the belt has it wraps around the idler pulley and the the tail pulley... Remove the idler and you remove that drag. Also as for testing this you can't because you can't say you adjust the belt exactly the same each time so it must be assumed there is an improvement.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavriC View Post
I just answered that above. :-)

Rick.
So much for being facetious. I was having mine fray and get wrapped. I switched to a Mavrikk belt and removed the idler and problem solved (on 2 heli's). I use the silicon spray as well and I know that helps, but that idler is a problem waiting to happen. Do you have to wait until you crash a heli to say "I should've removed it"? That's like saying "I always run red lights and stop signs and I've never had an accident. Why should I stop doing it"? Why take the chance if you don't need to?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So much for being facetious. I was having mine fray and get wrapped. I switched to a Mavrikk belt and removed the idler and problem solved (on 2 heli's). I use the silicon spray as well and I know that helps, but that idler is a problem waiting to happen. Do you have to wait until you crash a heli to say "I should've removed it"? That's like saying "I always run red lights and stop signs and I've never had an accident. Why should I stop doing it"? Why take the chance if you don't need to?
VERY good point!

Skarn
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Not the same thing. Not even close.

Do as you like with your Heli. If you want to remove it, do so... simple really.

Guy was asking a question, I gave him an answer based on 4 1/2 years of flying. Out of 4 of us, none has had ANY tail problems as of yet.

We've done bench testing, no tracking problems with the belt(s).

I gave him my personal experiences, and that of my close friends experiences... It's up to him what he does with my advice. If you personally don't like it, don't listen.

But don't compare Heli/belts to running red lights. Apples to oranges??

Facetious? I wasn't being facetious!

Like I said above... IF you are having belt fraying issues, or belt's coming de-railed... sure remove the idler pulley. IF you are not having any issues what so ever, and haven't for a LONG time... then why remove it? Clearly it's NOT an issue/problem.

Rick.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know Rick...I agree with JEB...his analogy might not be directly related to heli's, but it's not apples and oranges either. He's simply saying since there is NO benefit, and there have been MANY issues with it, why chance it at all?

Ok better analogy: I know many people have their gyro on TOP of the boom....and have never had a blade strike with it...for a LONG time. Using your logic, it's great, why move it? But the fact is that MANY have had issues with that...so why chance it?

I will agree however it's YOUR heli....each of us can do as we choose of course, but Jeb was tying to give advice to help PREVENT issues....again, why wait until you have one before removing it???

Skarn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in