Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Radikal G30v2 Main Shaft Thrust Bearing?

I'm finally getting around to building up a G30 that I bought months ago. It took a while to gather all the parts I needed to convert it from v1 to v2. As I was putting the main shaft into the bearing blocks, I have a step in v1 manual that calls for a thrust bearing (Part # CNBB10108T) but that step is missing from the v2 manual? I checked Carey Shurley's build thread, and he has that thrust bearing in his build.

Since I've seemed to misplace that stupid bearing, my question is do I really need it, or can I simply use the mast stopper up against the bearing block? If I do need one, can I get away with a different vendors like the Align 10x18x5.5 instead? I'm a little hesitant to spend $24 for a single thrust bearing when I can get 2 for $8 from Align.

Thank you!
finalcutbro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is no thrust on the mainshaft on the V2 G30. Careys build was not a production V2 but a G30 TT kit with the V2 parts added to it.As for putting the Align thrust in I have sold a ALeeS thrust set for a G30 since I could sell my customer a pack with 2 for 6.99 rather than 1 for 24.00 like you mentioned.I like the idea of the thrust especially on something the size of the G30 gasser.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

And I thought I got the last half price V1 kit from HCW last thanksgiving ,lol.

Mine has been on the back burner while I collected the bits and pieces also..
Hopefully I should receive the Fbl controller today.
My kit was missing the thrust bearing also,I thought it got left out so I used one I had on hand.
Maybee mine was not suppost to have one in the kit?
darksidedave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidedave View Post
And I thought I got the last half price V1 kit from HCW last thanksgiving ,lol.

Mine has been on the back burner while I collected the bits and pieces also..
Hopefully I should receive the Fbl controller today.
My kit was missing the thrust bearing also,I thought it got left out so I used one I had on hand.
Maybee mine was not suppost to have one in the kit?
I purchased mine in October of last year (V1, torque tube) and it didn't have the thrust bearing either. I emailed heliworld about it and they told me it was no longer used. So no I don't think your kit was supposed to have one. You can put one in if you like but you don't need it. I just ordered one before I contacted them so I got one. I kind of like it in there personally. My kit also had the same two halves of the bearing block that holds the starter shaft so they are sending me a replacement, might want to keep an eye for that when you build your kit, if you haven't already.

GT
gt48 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

from the research done so far, and with Dennis' confirmation it looks like the thrust bearing has been omitted from v2. I have not clue what it's supposed to do on the main shaft, but I like the idea of having something in between the set collar and the bearing block.

Helidirect has some for the outrage line of helis. I bought 2 for about $4. I used to only want to replace items with factory standard parts, but not at $24 for one piece after already spending a fortune for the v2 upgrade parts individually since there isn't an upgrade kit yet available.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my CYG750 today

Thankfully,all the rest of the parts were right in the kit....except for one oddity..
the right rear frame did not have the holes for the main bearing block screws ??
I just drilled them myself using the left rear frame as a pattern.

My thought on the thrust bearing benefit issue...
if the coller slips fore some reason,the mainshaft can move up and down only a few mm with only a minor collective pitch change,
If the coller slips without the bearing in place ,the mainshaft moves up driving the gear into the frame at the same time the fbl is trying to cope with 20* neg pitch
darksidedave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking at pages 18 & 20 of the instruction manual:

http://www.centuryhelimedia.com/manu...dikalG30V2.pdf

I do not see a mainshaft thrust bearing anywhere. There are two radial bearings in the top bearing block and 1 radial bearing in the lower bearing block (page 18). On page 20 you can see how the mast stopper is pushed up against the lower of the two bearings in the upper block, while the complete mast/gear assembly is held down against the lower bearing. This will keep the hast in place vertically while holding the lower of the two upper bearings in place.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's the issue I was faced with. I'm updating a V1 to a V2 so I have the older manual as well as the new one. In the good old days, there was a thrust bearing, the new version doesn't include it anymore. I was concerned it was an issue with the manual (similar to how there's no step for the tail output shaft spacers to be found in the tail build.) But nope, I'm not bitter. I enjoy ordering new parts once a week and taking 6 months to build my heli...

Carey Shurley's build thread videos showed the thrust bearing, but Dennis pointed out he had a pre release build. I don't know why they discarded it for the release, or as stated before what it even does but if it doesn't hurt, I'm installing one.

Seriously this is a fun build. Great folks here to help out. Paul at Century is a huge help, as are Dennis and others here on the forum. I'm learning a ton on this build. Thank you all for getting me through this!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can someone please explain the proper way to install a thrust bearing on the main shaft? I bought a thrust bearing from an outrage but it's directional. I've found tons of posts, but none of them have a definitive answer.

This bearing goes sandwiched in between the bearing block and a lock collar. I don't know if the open side of the bearing faces up towards the head or down, nor if the race that has the most play goes on top or bottom.

It may or may not matter. I just want to know.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in