Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Velos 880 and Skookum

Since the SK720BE is one of the few FBL units that can handle the monster Velos 880, are you in line to buy one when it becomes available later this year?

I am intrigued by the concept and mechanical engineering that was done to create it.
Looks like they did a nice job with the design.
...needs wheels.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

=] be cheaper to get a turbine? now that would interest me!

you and them..............................wheelz!!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] be cheaper to get a turbine? now that would interest me!

you and them..............................wheelz!!

I don't think I could talk my wife into letting me buy anything that burns fuel...she still hasn't recovered from the decades that I flew control line aerobatics and all that castor oil.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After seeing one at IRCHA I am very intrigued.

The shape is very pleasing to me (almost shark like profile).

My biggest block to a larger heli was the cost of the drive system. This solution appears to be viable cost effective resolution.

Other than an extra servo, esc, and motor, this unit would not cost more than any 700 sized heli, apart from kit costs.

Powering a large heli with a single motor could set you back crazy cash just in the motor and esc alone along with specialized batteries.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting, cool, wanna see it fly.......

No way I'm buying it.......
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not even remotely interested and I won't buy a heli that I can't easily transport to the airfield.

The Velos 880 strikes me as an Everest type thing. Why climb it? Because it's there. It serves no purpose in my fleet.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
After seeing one at IRCHA I am very intrigued.

The shape is very pleasing to me (almost shark like profile).

My biggest block to a larger heli was the cost of the drive system. This solution appears to be viable cost effective resolution.

Other than an extra servo, esc, and motor, this unit would not cost more than any 700 sized heli, apart from kit costs.

Powering a large heli with a single motor could set you back crazy cash just in the motor and esc alone along with specialized batteries.
Are you sure about that? Even using basic brand name parts and clone ESCs will still set you back a pretty penny here.

5 RJX servos: $625
2 Quantum motors: $600
2 YEP clone 160A ESCs: $350
4 6S packs per flight: $400
Total: $1975

Thats just using the basics with decent name stuff, and the total is over $4K if you use the high end stuff, Kontronic, LE Scorp motors, etc.

I can put the electronics in a normal 700 for about $800 less still using the same bottom end parts.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I'm not even remotely interested and I won't buy a heli that I can't easily transport to the airfield.

The Velos 880 strikes me as an Everest type thing. Why climb it? Because it's there. It serves no purpose in my fleet.
Boom pops out with 2 screws, and pop off tail control rod link. <2m.

Same or less space than a 700 to transport. Compact sedan is fine.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Boom pops out with 2 screws, and pop off tail control rod link. <2m.

Same or less space than a 700 to transport. Compact sedan is fine.
Yep, I regularly transport my Triabolo 800, Goblin 800, Gob 7 and my 600 in my 95 Honda 4dr. That and a load of tools, laptop. generator and charging equipment. Oh yeah, my chair and ice box. Took a while to figure out how to do it, but it all fits!

I figure the cost of the Velos in my world would hit closer to the 3 to 4k range. Lots of guys I know are already flying 1000mm stretched helis. Other than insane power for the 3d guys, or maybe a great larger speed heli? Not sure what the advantages may be for this heli. But, I applaud the out of the box design work.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yep, I regularly transport my Triabolo 800, Goblin 800, Gob 7 and my 600 in my 95 Honda 4dr. That and a load of tools, laptop. generator and charging equipment. Oh yeah, my chair and ice box. Took a while to figure out how to do it, but it all fits!

I figure the cost of the Velos in my world would hit closer to the 3 to 4k range. Lots of guys I know are already flying 1000mm stretched helis. Other than insane power for the 3d guys, or maybe a great larger speed heli? Not sure what the advantages may be for this heli. But, I applaud the out of the box design work.
The big key win here is MUCH higher power compared to anything in this size class before. But it's using to basic 700 class power systems. For sport flight you can use 2 600 class power systems. All you need is typical 12s ESCs and 4 packs that you use for a 700.

If it were a single motor heli, you'd be looking at 14s, 300+ AMPS ESCs which would be far more expensive then just 2 700 power systems.

So basically you can get into a larger than life heli without going to exotic electronics limiting options and overall performance.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does anyone know or have any idea yet what the price is going to be on this heli? Also. Was it ever flown at IRCHA? I'm still yet to see a flight video.
gs550t1981 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Does anyone know or have any idea yet what the price is going to be on this heli? Also. Was it ever flown at IRCHA? I'm still yet to see a flight video.
No video yet. At IRCHA designers said the kit would be in the $1500-$2K range.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default blade cost

You have Zeal Blades in your Sig, what are those "little bit wider cord" 850's gonna cost?
amb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1 View Post
You have Zeal Blades in your Sig, what are those "little bit wider cord" 850's gonna cost?
The Zeal 800 blades are $150. So more than that. (-: They are humungous.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Velos website:
http://www.velos-rotors.com/

Velos transmission:
[ame]http://youtu.be/loVVaBos_RI[/ame]

Velos overview:
[ame]http://youtu.be/Kt4IPi4xdHE[/ame]
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
One must also realize LMH removed all but the driver's seat (but replaced the original with an aftermarket), installed a roll-cage, and tuned his suspension so there is only 0.0001 G-Force of shock transmitted from the road to the frame. PLUS he eliminated 99.997% of all vibrations by hard-mounting a SK720BK and fine-tuning every last component. The other week he picked up excess vibrations from his speedo cable, so he replaced it with an SK-GPS system, eliminating the vibration and saving 72oz. of over-all weight. Plus his car now drives itself.

WI_Hedgehog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
The Zeal 800 blades are $150. So more than that. (-: They are humungous.
Looks like you've had a change of sponsors. Congratulations maybe?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkrause View Post
One must also realize LMH removed all but the driver's seat (but replaced the original with an aftermarket), installed a roll-cage, and tuned his suspension so there is only 0.0001 G-Force of shock transmitted from the road to the frame. PLUS he eliminated 99.997% of all vibrations by hard-mounting a SK720BK and fine-tuning every last component. The other week he picked up excess vibrations from his speedo cable, so he replaced it with an SK-GPS system, eliminating the vibration and saving 72oz. of over-all weight. Plus his car now drives itself.

Good grief, am I getting that anal?

I do have my 95 M3 race car sitting in a car bag with most of what you mentioned done to it though.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good grief, am I getting that anal?

I do have my 95 M3 race car sitting in a car bag with most of what you mentioned done to it though.
And instead of using Armor All on the seats and tires, he uses Diamond Lube to shine them! Rain and dirt won't even bother to approach the tires anymore. Sorry Randy, couldn't resist
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
And instead of using Armor All on the seats and tires, he uses Diamond Lube to shine them! Rain and dirt won't even bother to approach the tires anymore. Sorry Randy, couldn't resist
Gotta keep my hiney lubed for all the abuse.....

That Diamond Lube is just too expensive to waste however. Good thing one tiny bottle does my fleet with some to spare each time. I do use actual leather treatment, and won't touch AA with a 10 ft pole, even on my tires. The seats in the old beem are kinda worn and torn. It was a pretty abused car before I gutted it and started over.

I was thinking of this thread late last night, I just wonder due to a thread in the main section discussing pod and boom sales plummeting by 50%. If this is a good time for anyone to be able to profitably launch any new high end heli into the mix? Two dealers just dropped Compass that I buy from. One of which went under quietly. I also noticed HD dropped Compass. Not that that in any way is a bad brand. Every single guy at my club but me fields one or two of them. But they are loosing market share rapidly. And if an established brand is struggling? What does that say for a new arrival?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in