Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

1) Yep, absolutely.
2) I don't know the exact distance. The answer is probably "it depends". I have it only a few inches away on my 450. It's on the tail of my 500 and 600. But as far as I know there's no minimum distance like 12" or something. If you put it half way back the tail, and the motor is behind the main shaft, should be fine.
3) Yes. I can't give you a fair comparison for "feel" of the FBL controller as I've never flown any others. But I find it works quite well. Stab mode is fantastic for sport-scale flying, and Acro (simple FBL mode) would also work well, but does allow full manoevers. It might just not "feel" as good as a dedicated controller, but I can't say for sure. But it is full-manual control, basically like a 3-axis heading-lock gyro. It tenaciously holds the exact position you left it at, with no drift, no matter what the wind does.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

This sounds like a very exciting product. Of course as a Canuck, I am ready to wave the Maple Leaf high on this one. I do have at least one question at this point and probably a lot more once I wake up. Is this one single product that will work on either a heli or a multirotor or do you need a heli version and a multirotor version?

Can't wait to the "in your hands" release date. I will let the "first adopters" have at it for ninety days and hear what they have to say. If it is all good, I'm laying that VISA card down.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

One controller to fly them all! Same hardware runs multirotors, helicopters, planes, and even ground rovers!

I don't see any reason why other vendors sell different hardware for helis vs. multis, other than to simply be able to charge more money for heli applications, because they can.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
One controller to fly them all! Same hardware runs multirotors, helicopters, planes, and even ground rovers!

I don't see any reason why other vendors sell different hardware for helis vs. multis, other than to simply be able to charge more money for heli applications, because they can.
Enough said. Bring on the "in your hands" release date and the first adopters. My VISA card needs some serious first 90 days field feedback.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdLaw View Post
This all sound great but the PixHawk is a unicorn. You might as well say it will re grow hair and make you more attractive to women. Sorry for being so salty but the thing is just so interesting and I can see how much potential it has. Then they give deadline after deadline ( 6 of them before I gave up on them ) hard not to harbor some resentment.
Okay, FULL DISCLOSURE right up front. I own both a Naza M/GPS and a Naza H/GPS. I am totally turned off to DJI because of their failure to actually deliver the promised upgrades to the NazaH/GPS and what appears to be a total lack of support to their customer base. I have thoroughly bashed DJI on this site and RC Groups. That said, I feel a lot different about this product.

First and foremost, Rob has a huge amount of well-earned "street creds" with a lot of users. There are many users who have actually spoken with him on-line, face-to-face and on the phone. I can see no reason why he would put it all on the line for a product that doesn't deliver precisely what he says it does. A failure of this product would throw him so far under the bus that he would have no credibility whatsoever. If this products delivers solid field test results from users, it will be my first purchase from this firm. This product appears to over-deliver everything DJI promised and in some cases totally failed to deliver. I think this is the product a LOT of people have waited for, especially heli people.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stumblebee, I appreciate the kind words, but I'd like to make a few things clear. The Pixhawk is not my product, I had no hand in the creation of the hardware, and I am not an employee of 3DR. I am a freelance programmer, who works on the Open Source Arducopter program, which runs on the Pixhawk (and on the APM). I'm just one part of a team of guys who do this. My main role is to make the code that was developed for multirotors run on helicopters, though I've also had a hand in some of the multirotor stuff.

So *if* the hardware were to not function properly, it's really got very little to do with me. I actually haven't even flown a Pixhawk on a heli yet. I've got one on a quad, and I've got another on it's way which will go into a 450 heli.

Now, just an update on the shipping of the new boards. I have been told that the pre-order backlog is being cleared... probably this week? And thus they should be available for quick shipment very shortly. Probably not same-day, but... we'll see. I imagine demand will be pretty high.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My main role is to make the code that was developed for multirotors run on helicopters, though I've also had a hand in some of the multirotor stuff.

Now, just an update on the shipping of the new boards. I have been told that the pre-order backlog is being cleared... probably this week? And thus they should be available for quick shipment very shortly. Probably not same-day, but... we'll see. I imagine demand will be pretty high.
Thanks for the clarification. As far as I am concerned, you are PRECISELY where I need you to be. I really want this product for heli applications. I have another product that does an adequate job for my multi-rotor. I want something that will really work for my TRex 550e. Glad to hear the backlogs are being cleared. The field reports should start showing up pretty soon.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm really happy with the performance of the system now, and can't wait to see all the neat things coming in the future.
Any idea regarding how soon the retail version of this product will be available?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe all backlog orders are filled, and they are shipping regular orders about as fast as they can.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I've been flying helis for some years now and was looking at the pixhawk as a first step into multicopters for aerial video / fpv but also really liked the sound of it on a heli.

My question is to do with camera gimbals and some economics so forgive me for bringing up other product bundles etc but I can't seem to find the info I'm after.

At the moment in the UK I have the choice of going down the dji route where I can buy an f450 combo with naza M V2 and Zenmuse H3-2d gimbal for £440 or I can go with the pixhawk at £220 (inc gps) leaving me to buy the quad and something for a gimbal.

What would you guy's recommend on the gimbal front or can you simply point me in the right direction for further reading. Are 3DR looking at creating a gimbal, much like dji, as it looks to be an integral part of the whole pixhawk function or purpose.

Thanks for your help.
James A is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

3DR actually have their own Quad, which is sort of like an F450, but a bit bigger. It's called the Iris, and they sell them complete with Pixhawk, all tuned up ready to go. I believe they are also selling a GoPro gimbal with it. The gimbal is basically just a Tarot gimbal that they purchase.

I can't personally recommend the system, as I haven't used it myself. I've seen some really good videos come from it, but I've also seen some not so good stuff.

Keep in mind, my standards are pretty high. I do have an F450 frame, and it's a complete pile of garbage. I just use it as a beater quad for testing. I'd never try to do anything serious with it. It can be made to work, but with the same effort put into a better frame, you'd get even better results.

Can you really get a full DJI setup for 440? That seems crazy low.

If you want to go it yourself with Pixhawk, I really like the look of the Tarot frames. And for gimbals... there's an endless selection of GoPro gimbals, some of which probably even work. The snark is not directed at you, mainly the marketplace. There's just so much junk out there and I don't have the resources to sort through it all.

I end up having to build my own stuff from scratch pretty much, to meet my own standards. But if I was going to buy an off-the-shelf quad, it would be a Tarot. In fact, I almost did. But I'm really focusing on helis.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Can you really get a full DJI setup for 440? That seems crazy low.
You can perhaps somewhat see my dilemma, a couple of months ago you would have had to pay that for the Zenmuse H3-2d gimbal on its own, now you can get the full kit together.

I'll check out the tarot fames, presumably you're liking the carbon ones, and see if I can get more of a heads up on the gimbal. The Feiyutech FY G3 looks kind of interesting but as you say until you buy one it's really difficult to tell whether it's going to be a winner or complete turkey.

Thanks for the advice.
James A is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any idea if or how the Pixhawk will work in a gasoline (petrol) engine driven heli? Or is it recommended only for electric helis?

X-Cell Gas G231PUH (for sale), Raptor 50V2 OS50, Blade CX
ImRich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

ImRich, nobody has done it yet. I would like to, but don't have budget to buy one. I was saving up for a MA Whiplash Gasser, but since they're closing down that's not an option. And I haven't seen anything else I liked without spending substantially much more money so I'm stuck.

Anwyay, I think it's possible, but it will take a well engineered vibration damping solution. I've successfully flown an APM on an 80" Piper Cub airplane powered by a Saito 4-stroke which is a real thumper. The two stroke on a heli will make more high frequency vibration however. It should actually be easier to dampen but, won't know until we try.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once I'm done with my college senior design project, I plan to make a 700-800 sized gasser using Trex 700 mechanics, and the APM/Pixhawk is definitely on the list to use as a flight controller. I'm not a fan of the current gasser conversion kits currently available so I plan to make a scaled down version of the Copterworks AF25B with ample room for avionic trays and payloads.
Khosravi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rob,

Thanks for the hints. I have a MinAir gasser and perhaps I'll consider trying it instead of selling the gas heli, which I was considering as I haven't been flying it lately. It sure is cheap to fly, so I should fly it more.

I've been attracted to the PixHawk and I am on the brink of ordering one. I think it's a nice platform for many uses. It just seems a bit large for some of my ideas, but still very interesting.

I also have a software/hardware background (I used to design firmware for PCs), so it will be interesting to have a look at the open source. I'm not sure if I'll get involved in development, but one never knows where my interests will lead me. LOL

If I do order one and put it on the gas heli, I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, I really can't stress it enough though, that you really would be well served to try using the system on a smaller heli to start off with.

Rich, don't forget about the PX4. It's almost the same as the Pixhawk, but it is much smaller.

You should also know that there are a whole bunch of guys working to make the software run on a Linux system like a Beagle Bone Black. That will open up a whole bunch more opportunities. This thing is getting ready to explode with capability.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rob,

Thanks for pointing this out, I appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi guys, I really can't stress it enough though, that you really would be well served to try using the system on a smaller heli to start off with.
Is this to get used to the APM system in general? Or to get used to it being in a single-rotor heli?

I've used APM hardware and software since the APM 1.4 back in 2011 on both fixed wing and multirotors. I know how to tune and know what most of the parameters do.
Only autopilot I've used on a heli is the Naza H.

-Chris
Khosravi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khosravi View Post
Is this to get used to the APM system in general? Or to get used to it being in a single-rotor heli?

I've used APM hardware and software since the APM 1.4 back in 2011 on both fixed wing and multirotors. I know how to tune and know what most of the parameters do.
Only autopilot I've used on a heli is the Naza H.

-Chris
Both things really. But with the experience you have, you'll probably be fine.

My biggest fear is some guy sticking an APM on a Trex 800 with no experience, and the first thing he does is trying to lift off in Loiter mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in