Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to crash a B4503D properly ...

How to kill a B450 3D properly

Flying in a large carpark, tail stopped responding in the middle of a turn. It was strange, it held heading but didnt respond to the rudder?! Anyway, of course I tried to save it resulted in a spectacular landing which has probably killed this bird ... not sure if I can be bothered repairing it, might roll back to an easier model.

I think I need to go down to the pub and drown my sorrows.

look below only if you are not squeemish
Before photo:

Clickl for larger

LGWC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!! Do an inspection and tally it up, probably better off fixing it and the bench time is a blast.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What he said. Here's your chance to upgrade!!!!! Or, buy another off Ebay and use whatever parts you can salvage for spares. Don't see all the broken parts. See an opportunity to get to know your heli. intimately !! This hobby teaches patience grasshopper. It will humble you!! If you don't rebuild, how much for the tail drive?
PS You really are a professional when it comes to crashing! I'm not there yet.
But, I get better every crash!!!
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow awesome job
I have had some binges in my time but not as good as that
I bought a second hand one of these and converted to FBL 5 blade still trying to get it fingered out
Have look around you should be able to pickup another start again and enjoy the build
Congrats again on spectacular crash
Cheers watho
watho 46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

LOL Love the optimism guys, appreciate it! I am wondering, however if this sport is for me ... despite flying fro a year and lots of sim practice, I'm still struggling to get out of it when things go a little bad. It might be that the winds here are just a bit too strong for a small Heli like the B450? Someone else suggested I try a bigger heli, and run with that. When I crashed yesterday, the winds were 10-15km/h gusting to 25km/h. That is pretty typical for where I am. If I cant fly in those conditions I might as well not fly at all.

Pretty sure this bird is now dead. Motor was hit pretty bad and has some severe scratches, Servos probably shot too, which means about the only parts I'll salvage are the Alum bling bits (swash, blade arms, tail section etc), the ESC, the transmitter, not sure I even trust the gyro enough to save it ... I think that is what caused the problem in the first place ... nah better to start from scratch.

So what so ya reckon? Bigger=Better / easier ?

Might offer the good bits to some other B450 flyer with more luck than me! Will let you know if I do.

Oh ... and saved the LiPo ... it was my favourite LiPo and "self ejected" during the crash and bearly has a scratch! So that is one positive
Old 11-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

What a shame... you had her looking real good... if it helps, I can send you a 10 flight standard motor free of charge.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Feel your pain , if you like the sport stick with it.
Andrejraca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

After only a year crashes like that are to be expected. One day it will just click then you will try new tricks and go through a crash phase again then things will click again. Progress usually looks like an EKG graph. Lol. Wind will only help your flying, on the calm days you'll be able to tear up the skies. It's quite windy where I live too, a week ago my anemometer said consistent 54km with 62km/h gusts but I took my 550 out anyway. Total handful and crazy fun. The next day was 15-20km/h, cakewalk!!

Hang in there man, rebuild it and get at it.

Steve
Old 11-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been told that the 450 might be to small and that it might be better for me to practice on a larger bird? I was thinking of a 450x if I don't upgrade in size. At least then most of my spare parts can be used again
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Friends dont let friends fly ds76t's" Hate me some ds76t's
rodo1268 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nonsense
450 is perfect size
Elmo Te is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te View Post
Nonsense
450 is perfect size
+1 on that. Big enough to be reasonably stable yet small enough so parts dont cost a fortune!
andycrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's no perfect size. Only a perfect size for you. I personally prefer my 500. My 450 collected dust for 7 months before I traded it away. Now I wish I had it back though. It was a great little heli, (but I'd never give up my 500 for it.)
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

With 500 blades costing around £40 and 450 blades costing £21 here in the UK a crash on a 450 costs around 50% of the crash costs of a 500. That means I can have twice as many crashes on the 450.

I can also affrod to put top quality blades on a 450 - Revolution 325 FBL whereas I could not afford £42 a time for them on a 500.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't mean to imply that the 450 size is perfect to the determent of any other. My MSRx is a perfect size as is my Raptor 60. Just mean't that is it is nonsense to direct someone AWAY from the 450 as being somehow inferior. If I crash my R60 it can push $800 to repair it. But a great bird, and what I learned on. My MSRx is great, cheap, hell I can buy a new one for $45.
Elmo Te is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

450 is a good size for where you appear to be in the learning process. Bigger is easier to fly, but also just as easy to destroy. It sounds to me like your servo failed which led to the crash. I had so many of those eflite ds76(t) servos fail early in my rc career resulting in crashes that I almost gave up the hobby. My advice to you is buy the new 450x with the spektrum servos or by an Align 450. The wind use to bother me as well, after 2 seasons I hardly notice it until it gets above 15 mph. Don't give up on the hobby!!
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to crash a B4503D properly ...

Check that ESC again - I think it's hosed. Looks like it's missing a capacitor.

Looking at the damage, assuming I'm right about the ESC, AND your motor is hosed (might be OK, that scuffing looks cosmetic), that's maybe $150-200 USD in parts. New frame, tail boom, servo gears (they're cheap!!), motor, ESC, main shaft, spindle (maybe), main and tail blades, flybar (the paddle we can see looks good), skids, main gear, tail servo pushrod. Maybe the gyro, but only because I wonder if that isn't what caused your initial loss of control.

Rebuild it unless you can find a 450 3D for less than $200 USD (then just transfer your upgrade parts).

Better still, find a good deal on a 450X.

Bigger IS easier to fly in high winds, and generally much more stable. But, much more expensive to crash. Average crash on my Align 550 is around $150 USD in parts, with the frame intact, all servos fine, no CNC parts damaged, and the canopy is still serviceable. Basically tail boom, blades, main shaft, main gear, skids, maybe spindle, plus some miscellaneous parts.
Futaba 8FG Super | Spektrum DX6i
drdrums is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

update: ended up with a 450X, 9 batteries burnt now and not even a scare ... I suspect the old 450 must have been so stuffed it was near impossible to fly and hence the crash ratio ... the plastic geared servos were probably the main culprit.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 450 3d probably needed setting up correctly. the fly bar weights alone were all to cock. Still at least you got a 450X - its a lot easier to set up, the ar7200 is a doddle when you get used to it. Glad you got 9 good flights with it up to now, they do fly very well.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

14 now, another 5 this morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in