Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Commercial underslung mounts for 450 size machine available anywhere?

Is there any commercial (high quality) underlung mount for 450 size helis currently available on the market? I mean made out of carbon with dampeners etc...

I fly with my home made mount but I am looking for something more professional.

I have seen front mount for Trex 450, but I have a mini T... I think underslung mounts that could fit ALL 450 machines would be far more versitile.:o

My ideal mount would be equipped with floats so taking shots over the water would be doable...

Thanks for any info on that
Olivier06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 450 machine has less than 1 pound payload capability. You cannot create a mount sturdy enough and light enough with the proper dampeners and stay under one pound with a camera.

Adding floats will add even more weight. The lightest and least expensive underslung mount I found for the Trex 450 commercially is from xmhobbies (cnchelicopter.com)

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...ightest/Detail
SeismicCWave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, Seismic wave.

This is the only mount that I have found as well, and I am not really pleased with it, though I have never tried it: it seems over sized for a 450, it has no dampening, and is is quite heavy... In this respect, my custom mount is better.

I still think that it is possible to come up with something better that can be used professionally. The old Askman mounts seemed well thought of, and had some dampening device. Too bad I never got one!

My current mount (built out of balsa wood) is lighter than 170 g (probably less than 100g), has some vibration dampening (from insulation pipe), and I can fly for about 7 minutes with my 135 g camera. I think that someone can do better with proper tools...

The floats could be optional. They could be added only for jobs over the water, in which case flight time might decrease to may be 5 min? Good enough for me.

I live in a crowded region so a smaller set up is definetly better!

Here is my latest one in low resolution.

Olivier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image66.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	125015  
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at infinity-hobby.com - they have one out also...
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
jockstrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are correct about the one from xmhobbies. I bought one out of curiosity. It is over sized for the 450. Better for the 500. It does have some primitive dampening with four little o-rings. Doesn't work well at all. I did manage some fairly good video with a LX 3 camera and a smooth 450. Flight time is around 4 minutes with some old lipoly.

I am sure some one can make a better, smaller, lighter mount.
SeismicCWave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

wohoo! fly cam artist, there it is. Thats the mount im carrying. I found it on Ebay for €40.

When I first got it I just thought, whatta hell is this shit. It's really weak and if you give the camcorder a little bit of push when the helli standing on the ground, it "ticks" for like 30 seconds.

BUT BUT BUT, it's actually working! Believe it or not, but when flying fast I still get a lot of vibes.

Plus, it did'nt really fit on my t-rex, I had to modify a little. And all the parts was like to big for eachother so I had to sandpaper every part.
RealFlightHero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Jockstrap, the mount from infinity-hobby.com looks interestingly similar to the ones made Photoshipone (lookswise only). It seems that they spent some time working out the vibrations issues (though far from perfect on their video). BUT 220 g? that is not very light! Frankly it looks totally overbuilt for the size and its purpose... I am still searching, not believing that no one seems to have a decent product for the job out there. There is such a big market for 450 size helis!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in