Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I set a 12Z 2.4GHz to PPM?

Hi,

I have a 12Z with a 2.4GHz module here in Australia.

I am trying to set the radio to PPM mode (As described in the manual) but it is nit available as an option. The only options I get are FAAST and FAAST MULTI under the frequency menu.

I have a feeling that I need a 36MHz (I'm in Australia) module in order to select PCM or PPM.

I have also been sent a model file from someone in the US with a 72MHz module. The model file loads as defaulted to PPM but I get a message saying this is for America region use.

Has anyone got a work around for setting this 2.4GHz radio to PPM as it needs to be in PPM mode to use the Spektrum MZ Module I've just purchased (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMMSMZ9).

Thanks

Matt
psionic001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic001 View Post
Hi,

I have a 12Z with a 2.4GHz module here in Australia.

I am trying to set the radio to PPM mode (As described in the manual) but it is nit available as an option. The only options I get are FAAST and FAAST MULTI under the frequency menu.

I have a feeling that I need a 36MHz (I'm in Australia) module in order to select PCM or PPM.

I have also been sent a model file from someone in the US with a 72MHz module. The model file loads as defaulted to PPM but I get a message saying this is for America region use.

Has anyone got a work around for setting this 2.4GHz radio to PPM as it needs to be in PPM mode to use the Spektrum MZ Module I've just purchased (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMMSMZ9).

Thanks

Matt
Hi Matt,

Do you actually have the Spektrum MZ Module yet? I've also got a 12Z that originally came as a PCM/PPM radio but have converted it to Futaba's FASST 2.4 system. I'm in the States and I've done a bit of buddy boxing with beginners. To use the radio as a student transmitter, it has to be put in PPM mode. I've also got a Phoenix sim on my computer which requires the same thing. I've not done any buddy boxing with the 12Z since the 2.4 conversion but I have run the sim with it and even though I can't set it to PPM mode with the 2.4 module installed, it still works. I have done a little bit of buddy boxing with a couple of 10C's, both of which are 2.4 radios and again, even though I can't set the student radio to PPM mode, it still works. One thing that does happen is the screen on both radios (12Z on the sim and the 10C being used as a student radio) flash ERR on the screen. That was a little disconcerting at first but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

So....if you've got the MZ module in hand, and haven't actually tried it yet, I'd say, plug it in and see what happens. I don't think you'll hurt anything and based on what I've seen so far, I'd think it'll work anyway.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

PS: Matt, I just saw your reply on Nen77's related thread. I wouldn't have thought you'd have to activate the trainer system and put it in student mode to get this to work. I don't have my 12Z in student mode, or even in training mode, when it's plugged in the computer for the sim and it still works. Do you still have Futaba's module installed when you're trying the Spektrum module? Don't know if that would make any difference or not.
Intrepid175 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Steve,

I have the MZ module and have tried a few different configs.

1) Place the module in and MZ Spektrum module does not power up.
2) Set the radio to trainer mode and MZ Spektrum module powers up.
3) Install an original PPM based model (Created on a 72MHz Tx) onto the CF card and use that as a base model, the MZ Spektrum module powers up and I get an error on screen that the region (America) does not match the radios region, Oceania (Australia).

It would be great if Futaba just allowed me to set the radio to PPM mode via the Frequency menu option.

I guess I can just deal with it, but it does not seem like a nice way to do things.

I'm actually trying to get the gear working in a quadcopter and so far I have had loads of inteference so I'm trying to determine whether it's the radio, or whether it's the quadcopters arduino board not getting a clean PPM signal...

Cheers

Matt
Psionic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the spectrum module in my 14mz, for b-n-f units.

When creating the tx program, I used my 35mhz module, changed the program to ppm, but the tx still flashes red when I use the spectrum module.
My setup uses the trainer port, so I think you could make it work, just by enabling the trainer port. If you are able to set any parameters in the trainer menu, i think you should set 8ch ppm.

For making the tx turn on when plugging in the trainer plug, all you need to do is solder the correct pins in the plug. This way it turns off the inserted module, and I'm unsure if the spectrum module is powered through the module slot pins.
dkpodder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 12fg with the spektrum module for bnf models, so it may be diffrent for the 12Z and 14MZ, but I have to put my tx in student trainer mode to get the spek module to light up and work.

Last edited by chrisab; 05-16-2011 at 01:24 PM..
chrisab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba T8J - PPM Mode

How do I enter PPM mode in T8J ?
Or student mode in T8j?

Please help
janpirate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpirate View Post
How do I enter PPM mode in T8J ?
Or student mode in T8j?

Please help
I downloaded the manual and as usual it's not entirely clear. The "Trainer" instructions are on page 44. About half way down the page is a colume marked "Examples" with a second colume to the right of that marked "Precautions." The first item under precautions says, "Never turn on the student's transmitter power." The second item says, "Always set the student transmitter modulation mode to PPM. As for a T8J transmitter, PPM signal is always sent by the trainer jack regardless of modulation mode."

If I'm reading that correctly, it simply means that if the T8J is being powered through the trainer cord, it defaults to a "student" mode and PPM is automatically selected for communication back to the instructors transmitter. Most of the directions in the manual were about configuring the T8J as an instructor radio. If you're using it as a students radio, I'm pretty sure it'll default to that mode when it "sees" the trainer cord. One thing you'll probably have to do, at least I've not seen a system yet where you didn't have to do this, is program up the flight controls in the student radio so they match the instructors radio. You can verify this by putting the sticks of both radios in the same position and flipping the trainer switch on the instructors radio. If everything is properly matched, nothing should move on the model. I'd check that at all throttle and collective curve positions before flying the model in a buddy box situation. That will minimize the possibility of unusual control jumps when the trainer switch is activated or released. And, of course, make sure all other flight controls are moving in the correct direction.

Hope this makes sense!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

PS: For the benefit of those who may not understand where PPM comes from. In the days "way" before 2.4 ghz systems, we flew AM and FM radio systems in the 72 mhz band. As the technology evolved, there came PCM, which was just a different form of encoding FM signals and allowed for more advanced features like fail safe programming. PCM was also "slightly" more resistent to interference issues but it was still just an FM signal. The PCM transmitters would still work with the older FM receivers, you just had to switch the modulation mode in the radio so they could communicate. Unfortunately, even though 2.4 is the standard these days, the PPM nomenclature still comes around even though it doesn't apply to a 2.4 radio which is why you can't find a specific spot in the programming allowing you to "change" modulation to PPM. One of these days, we'll get far enough away from the old 72 mhz systems that flew AM, FM, PCM modulations that they'll drop the old terminology and we won't have to worry about this kind of confusion.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid175 View Post
I downloaded the manual and as usual it's not entirely clear. The "Trainer" instructions are on page 44. About half way down the page is a colume marked "Examples" with a second colume to the right of that marked "Precautions." The first item under precautions says, "Never turn on the student's transmitter power." The second item says, "Always set the student transmitter modulation mode to PPM. As for a T8J transmitter, PPM signal is always sent by the trainer jack regardless of modulation mode."

If I'm reading that correctly, it simply means that if the T8J is being powered through the trainer cord, it defaults to a "student" mode and PPM is automatically selected for communication back to the instructors transmitter. Most of the directions in the manual were about configuring the T8J as an instructor radio. If you're using it as a students radio, I'm pretty sure it'll default to that mode when it "sees" the trainer cord. One thing you'll probably have to do, at least I've not seen a system yet where you didn't have to do this, is program up the flight controls in the student radio so they match the instructors radio. You can verify this by putting the sticks of both radios in the same position and flipping the trainer switch on the instructors radio. If everything is properly matched, nothing should move on the model. I'd check that at all throttle and collective curve positions before flying the model in a buddy box situation. That will minimize the possibility of unusual control jumps when the trainer switch is activated or released. And, of course, make sure all other flight controls are moving in the correct direction.

Hope this makes sense!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

PS: For the benefit of those who may not understand where PPM comes from. In the days "way" before 2.4 ghz systems, we flew AM and FM radio systems in the 72 mhz band. As the technology evolved, there came PCM, which was just a different form of encoding FM signals and allowed for more advanced features like fail safe programming. PCM was also "slightly" more resistent to interference issues but it was still just an FM signal. The PCM transmitters would still work with the older FM receivers, you just had to switch the modulation mode in the radio so they could communicate. Unfortunately, even though 2.4 is the standard these days, the PPM nomenclature still comes around even though it doesn't apply to a 2.4 radio which is why you can't find a specific spot in the programming allowing you to "change" modulation to PPM. One of these days, we'll get far enough away from the old 72 mhz systems that flew AM, FM, PCM modulations that they'll drop the old terminology and we won't have to worry about this kind of confusion.
hi steve,

thanks for the clear explanation..
the main reason i would like to enter the PPM mode because to use Dragonlink UHF to boost my RC range. yes the manual is not clear on entering the student mode or PPM mode.
still cannot buy this item yet
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

From memory, there's no power out of the futaba trainer port, just PPM when in trainer mode.

Your options are to therefore us an external battery pack, or hack into the back an pull power from inside. I did this on my 12z with the assan hack module and it worked really well. When I wanted to use assan, I just removed the FAAST module, and had a little inline switch to power up the assan module.

All you need to do is trace the PPM pin from the back to where it hits the main board.

HTH

Matt

Quote:
hi steve,

thanks for the clear explanation..
the main reason i would like to enter the PPM mode because to use Dragonlink UHF to boost my RC range. yes the manual is not clear on entering the student mode or PPM mode.
still cannot buy this item yet
Psionic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post
From memory, there's no power out of the futaba trainer port, just PPM when in trainer mode.

Your options are to therefore us an external battery pack, or hack into the back an pull power from inside. I did this on my 12z with the assan hack module and it worked really well. When I wanted to use assan, I just removed the FAAST module, and had a little inline switch to power up the assan module.

All you need to do is trace the PPM pin from the back to where it hits the main board.

HTH

Matt

hmm... thec connector will use square trainer port cable....
how do i set in the T8J menu for the PPM mode or student mode... manual not mention the steps how to enter the PPM mode.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: How do I set a 12Z 2.4GHz to PPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post

HTH

Matt
Hi Matt,

You're probably right about that. I was not as precise as I should have been. My point though, is that the student radio powers up when it gets the signal from the instructors radio. The students radio is using it's own battery but the RF transmitter is not active so the level of drain on the students radio is lower than it normally would be. At least that's been my experience with it. OTOH, I've also found that the instructors radio drains power noticeably faster when hooked to the students radio than it does otherwise which is why I've thought the instructor radio is supplying power to the student to some degree. Apologies if I caused any confusion.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
hmm... thec connector will use square trainer port cable....
how do i set in the T8J menu for the PPM mode or student mode... manual not mention the steps how to enter the PPM mode.
I think the point is, the radio doesn't give you a way to enter PPM mode manually. The radio does it automatically when you plug in the trainer cord. If the Dragonlink crosses whatever contacts the T8J needs to activate that mode, then you'll be good to go. Otherwise, I'm not sure it will work.

Good luck with it!

Steve R.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid175 View Post
I think the point is, the radio doesn't give you a way to enter PPM mode manually. The radio does it automatically when you plug in the trainer cord. If the Dragonlink crosses whatever contacts the T8J needs to activate that mode, then you'll be good to go. Otherwise, I'm not sure it will work.

Good luck with it!

Steve R.

thanks steve
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

no it does not i have t8j and i cant switch to ppm or trainer and i have chanellinkdare and i cant get it working please help
boss777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will send you a pm as posting anything in the open might get me banned again
if someone doesnt like how or what I say
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
12z, assan, ppm, spektrum, spmmsmz9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in