Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Extremely new with a few questions.

Hi there. I am extremely new with RC Heli, my girlfriend just gave me one for Christmas and I'm being playing around with it every time I can.

I never flew one before, so the first flies where always ending in a crash. Yesterday I could manage to fly the heli almost as I wanted, but after a crash the upper connect buckles came off. I put them in again, but now whenever I try to fly, they just come off. The heli is a Syma S8000.

What should I do? Should I buy new connect buckles? I thought that maybe they just (I don't know the word in english) amm...expired? Could it be something else?

And a second question I have...I want to buy another one now, something a little more resistant and a little more big. 4 channels. I still don't plan on doing acrobatics with the heli, but I don't discard it. Can you give me some advices of what can I buy?

Thanks.
Nick L. Scott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a Blade Nano QX. Look it up. You can get with a transmitter. If you really get into it and enjoy it, consider getting a 6 or 7 channel transmitter and a good RC Flight Sim like Phoenix or Real Flight.

Good luck!

Ron
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

They do call them upper blade connect buckles. Others call them linkage rods. If they pop right off you need to replace them.

The Blade MCX2 would be a great starting helicopter and if you have a hobby store locally that carries rc helis, chances are they will have most of the Blade spare parts you'll need.

That little heli is stable and quite durable. It is the one I started with four years ago and I still have it and fly it on occasion. It's my cat's favorite toy.

Take your time and learn the basic skills first. This thread, RC Helicopter Flight School
has a ton of information for you to look through.

Good luck and welcome to the heli community.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

In order to start doing something a little harder, like inverted flight, do I need a FP or it can be done with a coaxial like the one I have?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your replies.

In order to start doing something a little harder, like inverted flight, do I need a FP or it can be done with a coaxial like the one I have?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can't do inverted with a coaxial as far as I know.

Inverted flight requires a Transmitter that you can put into "Idle Up" mode (a programmable Tx) where the throttle is set very high the whole time and the pitch of the Blades allows you to invert the heli and fly that way.

I suggest that you go to the Heli 101 section in the stickies and also recommend getting a Sim. Inverted flight is somewhat of an advanced "trick" and learning to just hover a Collective Pitch Heli upright is really a challenge for most.
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Easy does it

No, you can not go inverted with a coax.

Symas are sturdy little birds, I learned hovering on an S031 and loved it. Perhaps you can get the buckles on E-bay, I did numerous times. Once you can hover and fly the coax with ease, get a Collective Pitch. IMHO skip the fixed-pitch phase, it only teaches the bad habit of throttle chop and you'll outgrow it really fast.

Just like others point out, when and if you do decide to stick with the hobby........Then you'll be looking at a CP (collective pitch) or CCPM (cyclic collective pitch mixing) same thing. Those are the ones that can go inverted but it takes A LOT of practice. And in the beginning it will be a handful just to hover it.

Get a simulator and practice, practice, practice.

FYI
1) for inverted you need an idle up throttle curve = the motor runs at a steady throttle (usually 80% or higher) regardless of where the collective (left) stick is at.
2) you also MUST have a full pitch range on main blades from negative at low stick, to zero at mid stick and positive from there on.
3) for a flip.......once you take off, flick into Idle up, then you'll be flying the pitch, take it way up high, and then apply 3/4 to full elevator AND combine it with the proper pos, neg. and pos pitch.
4) once you learn how to flip with confidence, then try to hold the invert position a little bit at a time until you are inverted hovering. It's all in the timing and TONS of fun.

Hope this helps some
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I'm seriously thinking about a simulator.

After trying a little more, I found something else that might be causing my problem, maybe you can help me. It seems that the balance bar is hitting the upper blades, and that's why the connect buckles are popping out.

What can be causing the problem? How can I fix this?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The flybar should be 90 deg to the blades. Look for where it is supposed to be mounted and pop it back into place. Sounds like you may have broken the flybar mount.

Can you take an up very close picture of the upper head assembly and post it?
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Sounds like you may have broken the flybar mount.
Yes.

Just a quick remark, your flybar can be 90° or 45° offset from the main blade. So if it's 45, don't try to make it 90. It's just the way they are engineered, 45's are much more docile than 90's. You will NOT see a 45° Flybar on CP or higher end helis

Take a good look at the flybar mount (cage) because it never should contact the blades, it's kind of like a shock absorber for the cyclic movements.

Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in