Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Which grease/oil to use ???

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone tell me in detail what grease or oil to use, and where to apply it exactly on a Belt CP V2 or similar heli ? For example, do you guys use silicone grease for the tail belt, and maybe WD-40 or similar products at other places ? And how usefull is it ? Thx in advance.

Just to mention a first example: I have some synthetic oil for plastic materials from Robbe (article number 5530), and use this on the plastic ball links.
Look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~raicho/model/m...facturers.html, there are many other interesting products at this page for us, I guess.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

that is a good question

im using wd-40 but dust is sticking to the lubed parts...
CHOPPER5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You really shouldn't use WD40 as it will corrode the plastic and rubber over time, also it has a lot of propellant in it.

I use silicon grease on the shafts and thrust bearings, I use silicon oil on the belt and then I have oil for the bearings (bought from a model shop). I also have some lithium grease that I use on the bearings too.
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
psilo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

thanks for that...i think ill go for a little shopping hahaha
CHOPPER5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A good oil for general use is sewing machine oil and easy to get generally
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird300 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone tell me in detail what grease or oil to use, and where to apply it exactly on a Belt CP V2 or similar heli ? For example, do you guys use silicone grease for the tail belt, and maybe WD-40 or similar products at other places ? And how usefull is it ? Thx in advance.

Just to mention a first example: I have some synthetic oil for plastic materials from Robbe (article number 5530), and use this on the plastic ball links.
Look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~raicho/model/m...facturers.html, there are many other interesting products at this page for us, I guess.
Hi Redbird300,

from what I've read / been told / used myself - if your going to use silicon, use a 'food' quality one to spray ( lightly ) on your belt, helps a great deal for smoothing things out.
Stay right away from WD 40 - all that does is gather up every little bit of dirt, grit and anything else that it can then convert into grinding paste :-( This will stuff up any bearing sudface it gets near VERY quickly.
Heard somewhere that it can also damage so types of plastics - can't swear to that though. Only place I use WD 40 on is my motorbike. :-)
Got a note somewhere of a grease that is becoming popular down here in Oz for lubing the bearings in the blade holders - mains and tails. Rumoured not to get thrown out of the bearings under load and at speed. When I find my notes, I'll PM the name to you. :-)

Take care,
Flip.
Flip465 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Only place I use WD 40 on is my motorbike. :-)
Flip, that is exactly why I have so much WD 40
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Unhappy WD 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird300 View Post
Flip, that is exactly why I have so much WD 40
I'm down to my last 2 cans - not that it matters much, both the bike & I have been in a state of severe wreckage for the last 2 years. :-( Bloody drunk drivers !!!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh my God, verry sorry to hear this, I sincerely hope you will recover.
Alcohol and driving don't go together, but apparently many people don't see the danger All the best to you !
BTW, as you might have guessed, I drive a red Honda Blackbird, but we're getting slightly off-topic here. See you.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post Raf, it's a issue 4 many, personally i use pretty much the same as Gerd does, and spot on not to use wd40 it's nasty stuff, i also belive the lube Gerd was refering to is Scorpion bearing lube!! All i can say is buy some! it's liquid gold mate works great use it anywhere u have metalt to metal brilliant on shaft's really low fling to so u don't get covered in it. Get the highest quality silcone lube u can for the belt it really help's, i also use a TINY bit of servo grease on my tail gears just to reduce friction a little on the mesh, just use a LITTLE though u have been warned!!lol
lex7919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up greases, oils, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER5 View Post
thanks for that...i think ill go for a little shopping hahaha
To add to your shopping list - or to think about : -
Before you pack any / all bearings with fresh lub of any type give the bearings a good cleaning out with a cleaner that leaves no residue - your local auto shop can help you with that.

As greases for your bearings, all except the one way bearing in your main gear, it may pay to look into one or the other of these, I found them recommended, by guys who do know what they are talking about, on an Oz heli site : -

Castrol APX T - it comes in 450g grease gun tubes rather than tubs.
BP Energrease LC2 - Hi Temperature Tacky Lithium Complex NLGI 2
FUCHS Renolit Hi Temp 2 - Synthetic base, Lithium Complex Hi Temperature Grease.

These are the brand names of some of the greases available and in use in helis down here in Oz.
Don't know if they go by the same name where you are, but any half good auto shop or supplier should be able to help you out. :-)
While it may seem a bit silly to go out and buy such a large tube or tub of one of these greases, you will probably be able to find other uses for the grease apart from your heli, and it works out a LOT cheaper in a short time if you clean and re-grease your bearing regularly - which you will find you need to do if you expect to get any sort of life out of them. ( read more than 10 flights ! )

Take care,
Flip
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex7919 View Post
, i also belive the lube Gerd was refering to is Scorpion bearing lube!! All i can say is buy some! it's liquid gold mate works great use it anywhere u have metalt to metal brilliant on shaft's really low fling to so u don't get covered in it.
Yep, that's the stuff Alex, magic isn't it
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use an oil which was made for use in high end fishing reels. It's called Hot Sauce made by Quantum. It's available at any Sporting Goods store.
mnwizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you all for the advice, I will use the silicone spray for the tail belt and some fine, non sticky machine oil for the other stuff, until I have something better like you mentioned.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using magnalube on all my bearings. Works really great. You can get a "free" sample (w/ shipping handling of $3.00) at their website. It's a 4oz tube that will last you forever.

http://magnalube.com/

karen
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is an excelent thread and I was about to ask the origianl question myself. :-)
Just would like to point out that the "Belt CP What tools should I have" Sticky thread recommends WD-40 on the first post. Is it possible to edit this ? as I guess many people easilly would follow that advice.

Best regards
Tomas
Tjomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've been using that Lucas oil stuff you add to engine oil, you can run an engine dry with just that stuff, I slopped it on my bearings and shaft and what not with a small paint brush and aw man what a difference.
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

What Gerd said, silicone gread on FX shaft, and thrust bearings....

You can get silicone grease from any stores with diving equiptment... They use it for waterproof stuff I guess...

For the head mechanics (e.g. mainshaft, swashplate ball) You should use normal metal on metal oil. You can buy oil with precision needle tips so you can apply the oil exactly where I want (I have one) You should also put this in your motor bearings or anyother bearings, oh and on the tail rotor shaft.

For the Belt... I use 3 in 1 silicone lube spray. Just a lube that you can spray down the boom. This will makes things run smoother because of less friction and will also prevent ESD (Eletrostatic discharge?)

That's it I think... Locktight any machine screws into metal...

-Jonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in