Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why is all I can say

You know this lepton kit is a great kit. Until they through in some crappy ass tail blades along with a weak ass vertical fin. What gives hirobo? Im a believer in the hirobo quality but when you purchase a top of the line kit how much harder is it for them to give you decent tail blades "that work" and a carbon tail fin. The rest of the bird is superb except for these issues. The trex blades are longer than these for crying out loud...and this is a bigger more powerful heli! DUH. These tail blades look like they cost 0.50 cents to me, plus they dont hold for shiot. Im very happy with the kit but these items are absolute trash. The rear fin is so flexible its all it can do just to support the weight of the heli. If you just barely touch the tail when landing your blades will eat crap. Just another thought...they could have given a carbon boom with the kit. After all it is an "EX" right? Its not as big of a deal as the other items but still. Anyone else feel this way? I guess the next question is what are the few of you that have this bird doing for the blades and fins?
shannimal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I heard about the tail not holding good. I think trhey recommend changing the tail to 95mm? Not sure though
Old 06-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I did some math and I come up with blade length of 72mm is needed.
This will casue 2 problems
1) The tail fin is not long enough
2) the landing gear makes the bird dit too low so if you extend the tail fin to protect the new blade length it will be sitting on the fin.

I will be playing with this later.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

are you surprised Hirobo missed this in their design. Maybe they needed to save a few bucks in the design, but sounds fishy that they would miss this - considering they know must guys want to throw it around and also know helicopter design very well. I guess you need to tweak every heli. a bit.
Jeff
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Corrado said teh 68mm Eolo blades were fine so 72mm may not be needed. MJP Carbon already has a longer fin set. I would guess that only some spacers would be needed on the landing skids. You could even do what Century did with their newest Swfit skids and only put them on the back and tilt the heli slightly forward.
Gscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok..ordered the carbon fins from mjp. Now where in the heck can I find those tail blades
Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Voyager E tail blades... must mod the root hole though, from 2.5 mm to 2 mm. just install a collar.
ethinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Other tail blade options are the Align T-Rex carbons or the Viper 70.
Gscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

I tried to demo my Lepton at a FF this weekend. My brand new Hyperion motor came loose off the shaft. The set screws came loose and the shaft spun freely. But after I figured it out, after replacing a CC60 too. I tried to fly it and as soon as I punched it, it spun around. I quickly hit the hold and did my first nose in landing!!! So today I will try the Trex tail blades. The MJP fins are sweet. What is up with the stock vert fin?

Jeff
Learn to Fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gscott
Other tail blade options are the Align T-Rex carbons or the Viper 70.
We tried Trex blades NOT good enough!!!! They need to be longer still.

Bob
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Is the tail really that bad :? . There are many things that effect tail performance. The tail blade length, servo speed, servo horn length, gyro sensitivity are all part of the setup. Are we 100% sure the issue is just the tail blades?
Gazzer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am pretty sure. The bird I was helping Helicool with had a 401 and 9650 and he had the gain up almost all the way with no wag! Again this was my preliminary thought as I did not set up the heli myself. Another possible issue is the tail push rod. It is long, small diameter, and has no support in the middle. Helicool was also complaining of it "sticking". e.g. he would give an input and the tail would delay moving like the rod was flexing (my thoughts anyway).

Bottom line the tail blades are smaller than a Trex yet the main rotor disc is 200 mm larger than a Trex. Seems like a simple conslusion to me.

Bob
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

definately not the gyro, yes the tail is that bad... i have the 601/9256 on it, and it doesnt hold very well, throw those VE tail blades and its holds really well.

Yeh Bob, those tail blades and fins are so small, they could be mounted onto a Trex and look like it was meant for the Trex.

Gazzer as for myself it is definately 200% the tail blades are too small.

Bob how did u find the 9650 to work on the Lepton?
mine didn't do very well... seems abit slow at .14 for the tail.
ethinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh Yeah Bob thanks for bringing up the issue of the tail sticking...I had forgot to mention that! As Bob said the blades are just to small and flexible. I had put some of the carbon trex blades on it...they were just a tad longer but a lot stiffer. It still didn't help me though. If I did a climb out the tail would wrap on me so hard it puckered my as*hole. To add to that the tail was sticking on me. I to believe it was the push rod. I mean there is only that one support there and the rod is quite flexible. I came in for a piro push over move and when I gave it full rudder nothing happened for almost 3 seconds. Its like the input was there but the rod could not over come the force needed to move the tail. This makes me wonder that even with the improved vertical fin for clearance and longer stiffer blades there still could be an issue with the tail. If the push rod was having trouble now how is it going to be with the added force of the new blades? I wonder what we could use for guides, or maybe a carbon tube of some sort? Any suggestions fellows?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I tried to fly it and as soon as I punched it, it spun around. I quickly hit the hold and did my first nose in landing!
See...scary shiot bro LOL! My first climb out it did 3 1/2 rotations in a blink of an eye. I was super surprised to say the least. On a side note the heli autos great. I just did a few without even trying and still had plenty left. Once I get this thing ironed out I have now doubt in my mind that huge acrobatic autos will be easy with this heli.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

So Shanon.... what happened to ya Sunday? I was hopin to help ya out with more tweaks and had a set of blades modified for ya to test already?

Bob
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

THIS
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
gwk
Registered Users

OOps!!!
gwk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what happened to my brand new 1000+ dollar heli. Since hirobo cant get there shiot together on a decent tail blade design. After I got home I made me some blades out of some other blades that I had. I measured them out to 72mm exactly, made new 2mm holes to mount them, weighed them, installed them. Well I took off and it seemed to be working fine...until the F@#king blades exploded. I guess that they just pulled though the screw since there wasn't a bushing in there to stop it Anyway I should have just threw the f'er in the trash after all there isn't any parts for it currently. Did I do that..nooooo not me. I talked to john over at ready heli and bought another kit. It should be here on Wednesday or so. The damage is the frame,magnesium tray,tail shaft,tail slider arm,main gear. Although I dont understand why the main gear stripped. I new I was doomed so I hit hold right away. Heck the mains don't even have a scratch on them. In the pics you can see a piece of my neighbors house crammed into my freaking heli. I like to never got that piece out of there. After I hit hold it came down tail first right into dudes house. After all that is the other issue with this heli....SUPER ASS TAIL HEAVY. SO of course that is what hit first. Im really pissed right now. THis wouldn't have happened had they just done it right from the start. BY THE WAY...JOHN AT READYHELI ROCKS. BUY ALL YOUR SHIOT FROM THERE!!! Seriously though hes a cool mofo!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yikes!!! that will cost a lot! Wait... the Magnesium tray got damage? thought that suppose to be strong Shi#$tt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in