Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Taking the blades off helps. However, im with Bacon on this one. I rather disengage the motor from the main gear. My son got a nasty cut from a blade grip smacking his hand. We've had a heli spool up on us unexpectedly before that incident too. We started using a $34 harbor freight welding cart to strap the helis down when working on them. After the blade grip incident the helis get strapped down and the motor gets backed off and tightened away from the pinion.
Also, on one heli (450 3d) if the battery is not fully connected the esc acts weird. It will do a 1/4 of revolution stop, then another mini revolution and it will do that until the battery is fully plugged in.
These accidents dont happen out of nowhere. Anytime we get bit it was usually some kind of neglect on our behalf.
I always appreciate people sharing their misfortunes. Its always an eye opener.
ThrillaGorilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whenever I'm programming something that needs the flight pack on, whether it is the ESC or the FBL, I take main and tail blades off. And I half-connect the flight pack.
Haven't gotten a problem with that yet.

I've hit myself with a heli once, but it was a mcpx V2 with stock motor, and it wasn't even in idle up and it hit my jeans. It hurt a bit but didn't even leave a bruise. It sure was a reality check though.

I'm very careful with my mini prôtos, when I'm at the field, I start it up with mid throttle so the FBL doesn't even send a throttle value to the ESC, and the ESC doesn't get armed.
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good points from the OP. However electronics work different and simply best si to stay clear from the heli as well as already mentioned main and tail blades off when setting up the ESC. Issue is the ESC often requires motor to be connected. Not all heli's allow to move the motor away from the main gear. Again different designs and sometimes way to much work to do it. So simple way and very safe. Stay clear from moving parts.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
Good points from the OP. However electronics work different and simply best si to stay clear from the heli as well as already mentioned main and tail blades off when setting up the ESC. Issue is the ESC often requires motor to be connected. Not all heli's allow to move the motor away from the main gear. Again different designs and sometimes way to much work to do it. So simple way and very safe. Stay clear from moving parts.
Is it really too much work to do anything that involves safety? I would say that if one is doing something new to their machine, something they dont have experience with, every precaution should be taken. Now, if its something one is familiar with... Taking off the blades and holding down the rotor might be enough in most cases. Motor can stay plugged in.

And for my info, what helis cant have their motors backed off the main gear? My machines are mostly nitro. the oldest goes back to 1994. Every single one ive acquired since had the simple feature of being able to slide the motor off the main gear.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillaGorilla View Post
Is it really too much work to do anything that involves safety? I would say that if one is doing something new to their machine, something they dont have experience with, every precaution should be taken. Now, if its something one is familiar with... Taking off the blades and holding down the rotor might be enough in most cases. Motor can stay plugged in.

And for my info, what helis cant have their motors backed off the main gear? My machines are mostly nitro. the oldest goes back to 1994. Every single one ive acquired since had the simple feature of being able to slide the motor off the main gear.
Not sure what I said wrong -> easy and very very safe way as stated -> stay away from moving parts. If blades are off the heli than it would not jump around. And no do not hold it on the head or any moving part. That actually would be dangerous and is completely not needed.
Not so sure what was wrong about that comment.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My bad, i wasnt trying to judge or anything like that. I was just saying if unsure all precautions should be taken. To clarify, i meant hold on to the head before connecting the battery in case things are not as one expected and it spools up.

As for the question about what helis cant have mesh adjusted i wasnt being combative. I wanted someone to learn me something.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am cool - so not a big deal at all. Still wanted to clarify. I know we can all become careless sometimes because we may be in a rush getting things done.

Thats way - main and possibly tail blades off when doing this. If others are around I tell them to stay clear and ... I actually do the same thing - always away from moving parts. You should never try holding the head of a heli while doing any ESC programming or messing with the setup. Its way to dangerous. Its something not just for heli's but all equipment with moving parts.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't disconnect any of the esc/motor bullets, as they are covered by heat shrink tubing + the motor won't beep.

Backing off the pinion is not an option for me, as that leads to having to readjust gear mesh.
It's sometimes a fiddly business setting the "perfect" mesh again.

So I remove the blades, simple and quick to do.

By applying common sense, as in not grabbing the head and keeping fingers away from moving parts, it is a perfectly safe method, in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

The motor will still beep with two of the three wires.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
The motor will still beep with two of the three wires.
Didn't know that, I always do esc setup "fully connected".

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grab the head before battery is connected. In case of spool up. Tail has to be accounted for of course. Im missing something obviously. I cant see the benefit of letting a heli spool up to max throttle without me having control. Im saying, if you didn't want it to spool and all of sudden it tries... you simply dont let it and yank the battery out.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hold the head when starting ic powered helis, but they have a clutch...

I never hold the head when plugging in a e-heli to go flying, however I double and triple check my tx to make sure th. hold is activated.
I have forgotten th.hold a couple of times, but any of my esc's won't arm unless they see 0% throttle.

I know it won't start unintentionally, because I have done setup and checks with blades removed earlier.

I usually hold one hand on the landing gear when I check the programming.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even without a clutch, an electric heli is easy to stop from spooling up.
Double and triple checking is fine. Its still susceptible to equipment failure.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't own a 700 so maybe my fear is unfounded... But:

I had my 450 hot start one time (using an external governor, the ESC soft start is disabled and handled by my iKON). It was setup incorrectly and I went from 0-80% throttle in an instant. I know theoretically the torque is quite low if the head can't get started spinning, but I can't imagine the power a 700 would have during a hot start.

Even with a soft start, what are you holding? The head in one hand and the Tx in the other? Tx on the ground? Wouldn't it be likely the heli would spin under the head if it wasn't tied down or held also? Seems like too many variable and far too much risk to be holding onto a live heli, especially during setup when anything can happen.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run 12s on all my birds, so that's my reference point. Holding on to downgeared power systems capable of producing 6-8 kw, or (way) more, is not my idea of "safe".

I use both hands when plugging in the ec5, so holding the head on any of my e-helis will be difficult anyway.

Soft start is one thing, but hot starting a 700 while holding the head...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow - holding the head while connect an electric system sounds like calling for trouble.
If there is any malfunction I know I would not be able to hold the head and unplugging the heli. I could not even plug it in that way. Even more critical -> if slow spool up is not setup for the ESC by accident I do not think we could hold the head even on a 450 that easy. I do remember trying to hold the head on a 500 size machine a few years ago where it accidentally spooled up without slow spool up and there was no way for me to hold it at all. Power output of electric motors is extreme and should not be underestimated.

To me it always is the simple solution that seem to work best. Main and tail blades off and standing clear of moving/turning parts (main rotor, tail rotor ...). In case it freaks out its now easy to simply unplug the battery.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use an RX pack (small LiFe battery works great) and just plug it into the Rx for setting up the head. For setting up the ESC, take the blades off when you need to teach the Gov the max RPM (e.g. YGE Gov Store mode). If you don't want to remove the blades, you can still disconnect one motor cable (one good reason to rout them outside) and it'll beep and even turn the rotor head by a notch if you apply throttle but it's not gonna spin up. Unscrewing the motor mount from the frame so the pinion does not contact the main gear could work, but chances are the torque and vibration on the motor turns the thing back towards the main gear agaon, stripping your gear and/or your arms.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't believe some of what i am reading, just disengage the pinion and you and more importantly others will be safe. :thumb up:
Mr. Rmz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Be careful when programming ESC with transmitter

I usually remove head AND tail blades since it's easier than disconnecting the pinion on my main helis. Keep fingers away from potentially moving parts and all will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rmz View Post
Can't believe some of what i am reading, just disengage the pinion and you and more importantly others will be safe. :thumb up:
I do not think anyone would argue that but keep in mind - there are so many different designs. Some are simply tough and lots of work while taking main and tail blades off and staying clear from moving parts is very easy, can be done with every heli regardless design plus actually even gives you information in case you have telemetry data available. So yes if your helis make it easy to move the motor back (some you cannot move them back at all) than move it back and ....!!!!! tighten the screws to avoid it accidentally move back to the main gear.

For all others as it has been mentioned - blades off and standing clear of head and tail. Holding the head could hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in