Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Just a friendly APB (NSFW - gore)

Posting this here instead of the 'Safety' forum, because way more people will see this here and it is important.

All of y'all keep it safe out there.

A healthy dose of fear is always a good thing.

A rc helicopter can LITERALLY kill you in a matter of 10 seconds. With no warning.

Hovering 15' out a few set off the ground with your 600? Cool, no big deal until your elevator servo goes out and its coming at your face full collective.

Saw a heli come into the pits and crash from a dumb thumb today and also lost an aileron servo on my bird mid flight. Both incidents were WITHOUT WARNING AND OVER WITHIN 10 SECONDS.

This could be you... http://i.imgur.com/U3ssQ6u.jpg
Be safe everybody.

Last edited by Wolfpackin; 05-04-2014 at 07:30 PM..
SamCassidy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You got nothing better than to post a gory picture and a safety warning? Unless this is actually YOU and you have a story to tell about how this happened to you, then why not just randomly scour Google images for gory pictures and post those too? The image you posted is not the result of aileron servo going out or the heli going into the pits, is it?
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
You got nothing better than to post a gory picture and a safety warning? Unless this is actually YOU and you have a story to tell about how this happened to you, then why not just randomly scour Google images for gory pictures and post those too? The image you posted is not the result of aileron servo going out or the heli going into the pits, is it?
Excuse me?!

Why did you click it then? you have no more self-control than to not click every post on HF and post a negative comment?

FYI, this image was FROM HeliFreak. Maybe if you trolled the Safety Forum instead of the main forum you would have seen it. What does it matter if it is me or any other heli pilot?

I guess since Roman (rip) wasn't us it just doesn't matter, huh? I guess since they never released what happened "it doesn't matter"

FYI-A, this was likely the result of a servo going out, and also the heli did come into the 'pits' (where the operator was standing).

Go troll elsewhere, you certainly are no longer welcome in my thread.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OH GREAT, to the Safety Forum where OH SO MANY go to look at things.

The mods don't think a safety warning such as this should be in the main forum where many more people will see it? SMH, just a matter of time...
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCassidy View Post
Excuse me?!

Why did you click it then? you have no more self-control than to not click every post on HF and post a negative comment?

FYI, this image was FROM HeliFreak. Maybe if you trolled the Safety Forum instead of the main forum you would have seen it. What does it matter if it is me or any other heli pilot?
It matters because of context. You have no clue what happened here because this picture has nothing to do with you or with the story you posted. If it did, then you would know what you were describing.

Quote:
I guess since Roman (rip) wasn't us it just doesn't matter, huh? I guess since they never released what happened "it doesn't matter"
When did I say that it didn't matter? I was at the New England Heli Phenomenon last year and personally paid my condolences to many of his friends. Try again...

Quote:
FYI-A, this was likely the result of a servo going out, and also the heli did come into the 'pits' (where the operator was standing).
You have no clue what happened to this guy. Why are you speculating like this? Maybe he was trying to setup his ESC and accidentally hit ID2 and slashed himself up? Who knows... the point is that all you did was post a gory picture you have no clue about.

Quote:
Go troll elsewhere, you certainly are no longer welcome in my thread.
I'm certainly not trolling, and I don't need your permission to post in this thread.
AMA #934662
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It matters because of context. You have no clue what happened here because this picture has nothing to do with you or with the story you posted. If it did, then you would know what you were describing.
http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments...bout_a/cg8flej

"I went to visit my dads house as he has a giant open area and my Goblin 630 with me. Blades are 630mm long and spinning at ~2300rpm or at about 350mph.
I don't remember any of this but, in the log it was about 20 feet away hovering smoothly when it suddenly pitches up and flips to the left side and come charging at me. I started getting out of the way but it was too fast and I was too close"

Considering I read the actual story of what happened AND I have TALKED WITH the pilot it happened to I have a pretty good idea, first off.. Second, it has everything to do with what I posted considering it serves as a PRIME example of what can happen when flying too close in, no? So yes, I knew exactly what I was describing.

Quote:
When did I say that it didn't matter? I was at the New England Heli Phenomenon last year and personally paid my condolences to many of his friends. Try again...
You insinuated that because the picture wasn't of me, and the story pertaining to the picture was different than what occurred today that the picture was therefore irrelevant to my situation.

Quote:
You have no clue what happened to this guy. Why are you speculating like this? Maybe he was trying to setup his ESC and accidentally hit ID2 and slashed himself up? Who knows... the point is that all you did was post a gory picture you have no clue about.
Yes, I do. Actually.

Quote:
I'm certainly not trolling, and I don't need your permission to post in this thread.
Your post was a hell of a troll if I have ever heard one. You certainly don't need my permission to post, but I am personally saying, irregardless of if you post or not, your comments are not welcomed in my thread.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem. BTW, 'irregardless" is not a word.
AMA #934662
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just read the story you linked and the comments. Did you happen to read this comment from the victim?

Quote:
Servos were all fine. Esc logs showed nothing unusual with battery or motor. No swash plate linkages looked bad or stripped. Only thing left is the two month old Ikon fbl unit. It wasn't flying in self level mode or anything.
My vibration meter showed it was about vibe free as possible.
The lawyer at work wanted to sue but whatever the cause of the accident, I was too close and had no conclusive proof of the cause.
So it appears the elevator servo did not fail as you stated in your post... instead, it looks like perhaps he messed up the FBL programming, and perhaps reversed the direction of elevator and didn't check the correction before taking off.

That would make sense... he takes off, he's level, tries to move forward and the machine instead goes backwards.. the FBL "corrects" by adding even more "forward" elevator, but this is actually backwards, so the cycle begins to loop and the machine heads right for him.

You said you talked to the guy... his post indicates that the servo was fine. Whatever.
AMA #934662
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Christ, that's one hell of a picture.

Anyway.. You guys don't need to argue your opinion on the main forums like this.
If you guys have a problem, take it to the PM's amongst yourself.

And yes, 'irregardless' isn't a word. 'Regardless' is the word for which has the meaning of what you think 'irregardless' does. The 'ir' part of 'irregardless' makes that word a double negative..
And also, if someone kindly asks for you to refrain posting in a thread they started, have the decency to respect their wishes. Start your own thread if you must.

Anyway, Stay safe out there guys! I don't want to see any posts of anyone laid up in a hospital bed because of the hobby we all enjoy and the fun we're having.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No problem. BTW, 'irregardless" is not a word.
I must interject and say that this comment reminded me of this...

Irregardless (0 min 19 sec)

Sorry for the crap quality.
neuroticindian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

The mods don't think a safety warning such as this should be in the main forum where many more people will see it? SMH, just a matter of time...
The board belongs to Will James.

Will set up the forum categories.

Please be respectful of the forums and the decisions made by the staff Will selected.

Your personal choice to post to the Main based on traffic, instead of by category, is not how the threads are organized.

In addition, the poor choice to post the photo instead of using a link, lacked good judgement.

If you are indignant about this, please take this up with any of the mods in PMs.

You need not talk about mods in the 3rd person, we are here, try contacting us.

I or any of the mods, will be happy to assist you.

Mike

Last edited by TowPilot; 05-04-2014 at 09:38 PM..
TowPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just read the story you linked and the comments. Did you happen to read this comment from the victim?

So it appears the elevator servo did not fail as you stated in your post... instead, it looks like perhaps he messed up the FBL programming, and perhaps reversed the direction of elevator and didn't check the correction before taking off.

That would make sense... he takes off, he's level, tries to move forward and the machine instead goes backwards.. the FBL "corrects" by adding even more "forward" elevator, but this is actually backwards, so the cycle begins to loop and the machine heads right for him.

You said you talked to the guy... his post indicates that the servo was fine. Whatever.
This image/story already got posted in the main section a couple of weeks ago and was also moved here to Helicopter Safety. When I read the thread at reddit at the time I also suspected that pre-flight safety checks after a build might not have been properly taken. What was not clear is the poster did not mention if the incident occurred during a maiden flight. If it did then there is a big chance that the cause was improper programming of the controller/Tx.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from, and trying to open people's eyes as to how dangerous these things really are. Personally, graphic images remind me how fragile we are, and it stays with me not only flying, but motorcycling, road racing, etc.

On the other hand, some people don't want to have the image in their head, and I completely understand why as well.

To post a picture like that, and then having the expectation that it should stay in the main forum for everyone to see, is forcing your way of thinking onto others. Who knows, an image that may help you or I keep things in perspective, may make another guy more nervous or anxious, having the opposite effect of which you hoped. Either way, this hobby is about having fun, and for the people who may actually take something away from the image, the safety forum is perfect spot for it.

-Gobin 380, Goblin 570, DIabolo Speed #51, TDR2, TDS: DS24/Axon
Procrastinator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in