Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Old school Xcell 60

Bought an old Xcell 60 is weekend dirt cheap and thought bout blowing the dust off it and putting it in the air. It's got an OS 61 that runs and besides updating the electronics "lol still has a mechanical gyro" it doesn't need much to be done. My question is what size blades do I need to put on it? It still has woodies and they have a couple of dings from hanger rash and a chip in one. Thanks for any help!
mastiles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If its a 60 size you can run 680 just fine and probably run 710's if you want. The motor and gearing will spin either one. You may want to double check your tail blades. If they are 105mm then you are good. If they are 115mm then the 710 main blades may be a problem.

Then again you could alway measure the current wood blades or the distant from the blade grip bolt to the tip of the tail blade.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah I was thinking of measuring but on the market right now you have 50 then 90 size. Hard to find 60. But I'll try the 680s. The tail is the stock blades that came with the kit years ago. The ones that had that funky little offset.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The helicopters size have stayed the same, they just stuff larger engines in them now.

The 30 size nitro with 550 blades now run with either a 37 or 40 size engine.

The 50 size nitro with 600 blades now run with 50 through 60 size engines. It should be noted the new 60 size engine are a completely different then the OS61 and YS61 of a few years ago. The engine mounting is different so they fit in a 50 size bird.

60 size nitro with 680-710 blades now run 90, 105 or even 120 size engines.

So as the engine sizes have changed for the same size bird, and with the electrics entering the game, helicopters are now classed by their blade size. So a 30 size helicopter is now a 550 helicopter, a 50 size is now a 600 and a 60 is now a 700.

Its breaks down on helicopters smaller then 500 as a T-Rex 450 runs 325 blades.

Also as long as you can get the correct gearing, you can run an old OS61 or YS61 in any of the current 700 class birds.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

pics?
I love old school.
gilligansc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Pics soon to follow. I was gonna document with pics the refurbishing. I'm with you on loving the old school. I remember years ago when xcell first cam out and seeing them in RCM magazine. I always wanted one. I do have a fury 55 FBL but that old stuff is what originally got me going.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running 640 mm woodies on my 1001 X-Cell 60. Century sells them I believe. Flys great, pulled out all the old radio gear, replaced all the bearings, rebuilt the O.S. FSR. No 3d, just big air flying.
flyin dan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Old Xcell 60

Picked this up at IRCHA this year, it was just a frame and a bunch of parts with a O.S. 61 sx included. Ive added a Futaba 410, Align 610's and a 650 on the tail. All spectrum reciever and telemetry. Will maiden in the morning..
By the way using Mav 620's for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6968.JPG
Views:	981
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	366750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6975.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	366751  
swsc4133 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in