Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 > Thunder Raptor 90/G4

Thunder Raptor 90/G4 Thunder Tiger Raptor 90/G4 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main gear UP/Down Play

My friend just built this heli and I personally love the looks of it and the way it flies, very solid in the air and just feels like cheating at times! We noticed some cushion play on parts like the tail blade grips can be pulled apart but supposedly the manual mentions this is designed this way. I also noticed that the main gear has some considerable play up and down but the manual does not mention this. Does everyone have this play and should it be there? If not how did you remove the play in yours?
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My heli has about a 1mm vertical play on main gear, main shaft does not move.

I have asked before about the tail grips. The play is by design.

aseejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Main gear UP/Down Play

Both my machines have no play up and down on the main gear.

Check the head is not moving up and down when u hold the frame and lift the head.

If it is loosen the 4 screws holding the upper bearing block. And loosen the 2 holding the bottom gear.

Push the bearing block downwards evenly and re tighten. Same with the bottom gear.

If you don't get rid of that play it will get worse and you will need to replace the bottom gear.

Remember to re loctite

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couple things...

As mentioned, do loosen the bearing blocks and push the top one down (toward the main gear) while you tighten it back up and push the bottom one (toward the main gear) up as you tighten it back up.

Also, make sure both bearing blocks are in the right way (flipped to the correct side)... make sure they are positioned to where if you were to press the bearing out of them you would have to press towards the main gear from each block (saw this one before, resulted in a couple mm play).

In an inverted crash it is very possible (i've done it twice) to "dish" the bearing block on the bottom block. It will bend with a slight bow in it and create that extra spacing. It should be perfectly flat, check it with a straight edge if you suspect it.

Let us know what you find.

-Adam
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First I checked my main shaft / head. 0 play. But there is that 1mm vertical play between the main gear and the tail drive pulley.

I took the head off...checked if I assembled head - main shaft - main gear - tail drive gear. Everything seems to be according to manual. Reassembled everything keeping in mind to push the upper block down. Result still 0 play on head and main shaft....BUT main gear still has about 1mm vertical play away from the tail drive gear. Checked the Jesus bolt.....it's on correctly.

If there isn't supposed to be this play between the main gear (1-1) and tail drive pulley(1-2) I think the solution is to place a washer between the c-clip (1-4) and one way clutch housing (1-6) or elongate the Jesus bolt hole on the tail drive pulley (1-2).

Last edited by aseejr; 02-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Spelling
aseejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a little up and down play of the main shaft on the auto hub, it is normal on both my e720 and my G4 Nitro. I thought you were talking about the whole head up and down. Yes, don't worry if the main gear can move up and down a mm or so on the auto hub (one way housing). You don't need to put a spacer near the snap clip.

-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseejr View Post
First I checked my main shaft / head. 0 play. But there is that 1mm vertical play between the main gear and the tail drive pulley.

I took the head off...checked if I assembled head - main shaft - main gear - tail drive gear. Everything seems to be according to manual. Reassembled everything keeping in mind to push the upper block down. Result still 0 play on head and main shaft....BUT main gear still has about 1mm vertical play away from the tail drive gear. Checked the Jesus bolt.....it's on correctly.

If there isn't supposed to be this play between the main gear (1-1) and tail drive pulley(1-2) I think the solution is to place a washer between the c-clip (1-4) and one way clutch housing (1-6) or elongate the Jesus bolt hole on the tail drive pulley (1-2).

Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes the play I am referring to is betwee the main gear and c-clip
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perfectly normal on all the G4s I own and the others at the field my friend.

-Adam
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could add shims if you aren't happy with it. I've done it with my 50, and it seemed to eliminate some "noise" from the heli.
Don S is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Main gear UP/Down Play

The play is supposed to be there. Don't shim it. It's designed that way to allow movement during operation, you want it to be able to move a little when the gear heats up. It will find its sweet spot during flight and won't move.
borntofly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in