Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Aileron Rolls Overshoot

My question is VERY specific. Does anyone know which parameter on the 3G link software I would adjust to keep the 3G from overshooting on my aileron rolls?

If I roll slow, all is well, but on a full throw roll the heli continues to roll over for a few degrees before coming to a stop. It is overshooting the mark. I can tell that's what is happening because the rapid portion of the roll stops where I want it, but then it rotates over a little farther as it slows down. It doesn't "snap" to a stop like it should.

The two software parameters I think might control it are: "aileron roll lock gain" and "aileron roll stop gain", but I don't know which one or which way to adjust.

Please, no responses like: "Just stop the roll earlier"
danyl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyl View Post
My question is VERY specific. Does anyone know which parameter on the 3G link software I would adjust to keep the 3G from overshooting on my aileron rolls?

If I roll slow, all is well, but on a full throw roll the heli continues to roll over for a few degrees before coming to a stop. It is overshooting the mark. I can tell that's what is happening because the rapid portion of the roll stops where I want it, but then it rotates over a little farther as it slows down. It doesn't "snap" to a stop like it should.

The two software parameters I think might control it are: "aileron roll lock gain" and "aileron roll stop gain", but I don't know which one or which way to adjust.

Please, no responses like: "Just stop the roll earlier"
Im not to good at flying heli, but what about the "Aileron control rate"
If not i would think its the "Roll stop gain adjustment"
rognlund is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Up'ing both can help depending where they are currently set at. I don't recommend going above 5 on the stop gains. Increasing your lock gain may cause bobbles if you go to high. Another adjustment you can play with is the swash return speed.

Just another thought, could it be your are running more or less cyclic or collective pitch than your are use to? How much cyclic pitch are your running when measure in DIR mode? Are you running your servos at the max voltage, do they have enough torque? Is this your first FBL heli? Could it be the FBL feel is different than what you are use to?

I hear some people say there is a delay in the 3G and the Vbar. Maybe I'm just use to it so I don't feel it any longer.

Without flying it it would be hard to trouble shoot.
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have at least the recommended cyclic values in DIR mode? Like 13 degrees?
jsenicka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run 12 degress. You can change how fast it rolls and flips in the software.

Mickey
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you lower the swash mix numbers a bit after setting up the max throws in DIR? I believe lowering the roll rate accomplishes the same thing... But so far I have tested and trust lowering the swash mix numbers. You may be reaching the max roll rate that you set up in DIR mode, and the 3G is slighky trying to catch up with demands...

Set the pitch ranges a few degrees past your desired pitches in DIR, then lower the swash mix, or control rate to suit your needs.
Philluoma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try those things.

I am running the Align Servos that came with the kit and have set them at 6.0 v with the step down regulator on the tail.

I set the collective to +/- 11 deg, and I believe, but will recheck that I had the aileron and elevator pitches also at 11 deg.

I will try dialing down the swash mix a little first. That sounds like a good starting place. Then I will mess with roll stop and roll lock on the 3G software.

I don't know about the swash leveling setting. The way Align words it in the software scares me. It takes off just fine.

Both my pots are in the 12o'clock position and there is no wobble what-so-ever. I have left the aileron compensation at the factory setting in the software.

I considered that it was just something I am doing wrong, being a new heli and my first FBL, but it's pretty clear to the people who watched it that there is a distinct difference in roll at the point which it overshoots. When I do a slow roll, I can stop on a dime, just like with my other birds. But when I do a fast roll, the fast portion of the roll stops exactly where I want it, but then it continues to roll or list a little further in the same direction before coming to a stop. The slow list is very obvious. It ends up about 10 degrees off level and then stays there. I have to give a little opposite aileron to get her level again.

I can judge the overshoot well enough and stop just a few degrees early, but it seems like I shouldn't have to.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 'da mod?

May or may not be any help, but mine did the same thing on vertical lines (had a funny forward pitch at the top of a stall turn) until I did the silicon mod.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mine is the newest 700 kit that is supposed to have the mod in it; I haven't opened the case yet to see, but I do know that it shipped with the latest 2.1 update already installed in the 3G system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in